• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Ponting's pull shot?

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
In his 1995/96-2006/07 heyday, it was as good as a pull shot has pretty much ever been for almost any batsman.
His real heyday was between 2001-2003/04 and then 2004/05-2006/07, after which he plateaued. Prior to 2001, he was just a pretty good batsman who had been going through a prolonged slump (18 months without a Test century).

His pull shot has declined slightly, but it still looks very good. You don't wanna bowl short to him unless you're either an accomplished paceman or he happens to be injured.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yea, that's one of those things - if something was your strength and became your weakness, how that would work. Like if bowling onto the pads of some Indian batsmen started yielding LBWs, I wonder how many bowlers would take the chance of getting clobbered.

I think despite the general riskiness of the shot, and Ponting's waning ability, if I were an opposition captain and Ponting came up to bat, I don't know if I'd tell my bowlers to bowl short. I'd probably start him on spin - regardless of what people say in that other thread, I feel Ponting is real weak against spin early in his innings. Maybe from both ends if I had two spinners. If not, then I think just standard outside off stump would be more productive. I probably wouldn't take the chance of bowling too many short ones. Sometimes targetting something like that can have the opposite effect, and if you bowl bad short deliveries, or he happens to hit couple good shots - which happen to be his favorite - it can just help him get his eye in and give him confidence. And once a batsman of that quality gets his eye in, and is feeling confident, generally you're in trouble.
He is weak against spin early on only in fav conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His real heyday was between 2001-2003/04 and then 2004/05-2006/07, after which he plateaued. Prior to 2001, he was just a pretty good batsman who had been going through a prolonged slump (18 months without a Test century).
In overall terms I'd agree with said periods but personally I found his pull-stroke no more awesome in 2001/02 than 1997. He was an incredibly good puller from his very first Test. Where he improved later on was in judgement of when to play shots (and as I've said umpteen times I think the extent to which he improved has been exaggerated by the flattening-out of decks and decline in quality of bowling), not in his actual excecution of shots. I'd say that was good from, well, probably before he even played Test cricket.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I adore his pull shot. It's one of my favourite strokes in cricket; so effortless and he never looks rushed – having seemingly minutes, where as others who love to pull (say Langer) appear to have mere seconds.

When I'm old and grey, and recalling memories of players and seasons past, Ponting's pull will be one to reminisce about.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
in other words, between indian tours.
Yes and no. He did start the 2001 tour poorly after a diabolical Indian tour (lucky not to be dropped outright), but he was nowhere to be found during most of the 2004 Indian tour (suspect that was a blessing in disguise, myself).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In overall terms I'd agree with said periods but personally I found his pull-stroke no more awesome in 2001/02 than 1997. He was an incredibly good puller from his very first Test. Where he improved later on was in judgement of when to play shots (and as I've said umpteen times I think the extent to which he improved has been exaggerated by the flattening-out of decks and decline in quality of bowling), not in his actual excecution of shots. I'd say that was good from, well, probably before he even played Test cricket.
I adore his pull shot. It's one of my favourite strokes in cricket; so effortless and he never looks rushed – having seemingly minutes, where as others who love to pull (say Langer) appear to have mere seconds.

When I'm old and grey, and recalling memories of players and seasons past, Ponting's pull will be one to reminisce about.
The most important thing in a pull shot, is the early decision to pull. The stroke actually requires slightly more time to play it perfectly with the need to move well back and across, bring the bat down from above. Ponting has the early judgement of length, the technique to play it perfectly but above all he is so confident of his pull that the moment he realises the ball is short and on the stumps (or marginally outside the off stump) he decides he is going for it. Then his perfect technique for the shot takes over.

I have always found that while other shots can be slightly changed, modified and some even given up even after you have started the motion, with pull you need to go through quickly and with conviction. It is that early decision that gives him that extra time which makes it look like the easiest thing to do when he plays it.

bagapath

International Captain
Yes and no. He did start the 2001 tour poorly after a diabolical Indian tour (lucky not to be dropped outright), but he was nowhere to be found during most of the 2004 Indian tour (suspect that was a blessing in disguise, myself).

wish he had been there for the first three matches as well. the series result would have been different.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More importantly, Darren Lehmann's career would've been different. And he might've played in the 2005 Ashes. And consequently the outcome of that series would've been different.

So really, I'm rather glad he didn't as I don't want a single delivery of the most exciting series in cricket history to have gone differently.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Found a video earlier today morning on YouTube of Lara in the 1992 WC.. There was a particular pull shot against one of the Pakistan bowlers (Aaqib Javed, I think) when he pulled in front of midwicket with both feet in the air...

Had forgotten how good he was on the pull shot, tbh. :(

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
More importantly, Darren Lehmann's career would've been different. And he might've played in the 2005 Ashes. And consequently the outcome of that series would've been different.

So really, I'm rather glad he didn't as I don't want a single delivery of the most exciting series in cricket history to have gone differently.
Actually, Lehmann always looked much better against spin than pace, I feel. He seemed a little too tentative against genuine pace at times.

Plus, I believe that he was carrying an injury during that series.

pasag

RTDAS
Would have got out to it to Giles as well in 06/07 if he wasn't so dire, iirc? Could have changed the face of the whole series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Would have got out to it to Giles as well in 06/07 if he wasn't so dire, iirc? Could have changed the face of the whole series.
Indeed. That shot was just like today, thats why i'm not too sure if its a problem just yet..