• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate W.G. Grace?

How do you rank W.G. as a Cricketer?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Australians are the least cheat-y of all the cricket nations, imo.
Not an unreasonable opinion, but today's disgraceful performance (from Bancroft and what Smith has called the "leadership team" among the players) might lead some to a different view...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
To those that think of W.G. as a fat old man with a metre long beard, these photos might come as a bit of a surprise...

Here is W.G. in 1863, aged about 15 (No, not the one you think, actually the young chap marked 12):

In the picture below, W.G. is the youngster at the extreme left in the white cap with just the beginnings of a small beard. This photo is from 1867 and W.G. would have been 18 or 19 at the time:

W.G. in 1869, aged 21:

Here is W.G. in 1872, aged 24:

So a fairly impressive beard for a 24 year old, but not quite as pronounced as the popular image of later years.

Here is W.G. in 1874, aged 25 or 26:
Great work. We tend to think of him as a fat old man - because of a combination of his extraordinary longevity and the limited use of photography when he was in his prime.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've posted this about a dozen times before, and I'll post it again in the future.

In the 1871 season:
- 17 centuries were scored. WG got 10 of them.
- WG averaged 78.25 - the next best was 39.57.

Mind-blowing.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Can anyone recommend any really good books about WG? Market seems to be flooded with poorly received ones, always wanted to read a full and comprehensive biography.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The one by Simon Rae is a good one, as is Richard Tomlinson's - I think we've reviewed them both if you check out the Book Review section of the site

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
The one by Simon Rae is a good one, as is Richard Tomlinson's - I think we've reviewed them both if you check out the Book Review section of the site
Didn't know there was a book review section, huge thanks for drawing my attention to it. Always seemed odd to me that I'd read more about jack Iverson than WG Grace

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Rae one, without a doubt - it's the definitive article, which is why Tomlinson faced an impossible task - one he did very entertainingly though, with some interesting revisionist ideas, but you'd have to be a bit of a saddo (like me) to want to read them both

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I've posted this about a dozen times before, and I'll post it again in the future.

In the 1871 season:
- 17 centuries were scored. WG got 10 of them.
- WG averaged 78.25 - the next best was 39.57.

Mind-blowing.
In a run of 10 matches in 1874, he scored 996 runs at 76.61 (6 hundreds, 2 fifties) and took 101 wickets at 12.04 (8 x 10wM, 13 x 5wI).