• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How come...

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I've noticed that some people post messages but it says they are logged off, how can you do this :unsure:. The likes of Perm and SJS to name a couple aren't online while posting.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
They're appearing offline - Richard will give you a list of people who appear offline (it's an option in User CP IIRC) - I think I might be too, can't rememer if I turned it off or not.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think it's also to do with the forum.cricketweb.net and cricketweb.net/forum thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure it is...

It's called invisible mode. A few who use it include...

Voltman
SJS
Fiery
PY
ash chaulk
Perm
pasag
Pratyush (recently)
Tom Halsey (fairly recently)
tooextracool
chaminda_00
JASON
PhoenixFire (as of the time of this post - may be short-term)
Adamc
Clapo
Slow Love™ (if he ever comes back)
Buddhmaster (ditto)
Goughy (recently)
Dasa (fairly recently)
The Baconator (fairly recently)
howardj
chris.hinton
grecian
SirBloody Idiot
shankar

And many more...

I'm sure they have their reasons... 1 or 2 have explained said... but it always disappoints me a little in most cases. I like to know when people are around TBH. Fiery changed his just before his recent absence, at Sean's request. Now he seems to have put it back.

Fiery

Banned
Thanks Inspector. Quite frankly, it's really none of your business who is in invisible and who isn't, or the reason anyone is or isn't, Richard

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thanks Inspector. Quite frankly, it's really none of your business who is in invisible and who isn't, or the reason anyone is or isn't, Richard
Well it's everyone's business who's invisible, and it's also very obvious.

Obviously, it's at the discretion of the person concerned to reveal why if they wish, and not if they don't, as it is with a name.

cpr

International Coach
Dont address that to Richard, address it to the person who asked the question, all Richard did was give the best answer he could. If you dont want it discussing, have a go at the person who (legitimately) asked it.

Though i must say, whats the point of appearing invisible, then posting. Kinda blows the cover really. Its like kids playing hide and seak, but giggling so much they give their hiding place away.

Would be interesting to know (thats if i'm allowed) why people do set it to invisible. Cant see any benefit of it personally

cpr

International Coach
I automatically log into forum.etc.net, now when someone links me when it's etc.net/bleh i have to login again. Separate things it appears.

Hmm, have that problem meself actually, didnt notice the difference. Interesting.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I automatically log into forum.etc.net, now when someone links me when it's etc.net/bleh i have to login again. Separate things it appears.
That's true. I actually asked Gelman the same thing in the Staff forum earlier this very day - I ain't got a clue why some things default to one and others to the other.

I'm logged-in on the www.cricketweb.net/forum and not the forum/cricketweb.net/ one. I once managed to get the both of them, but deleted my cookies, and really CBA again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dont address that to Richard, address it to the person who asked the question, all Richard did was give the best answer he could. If you dont want it discussing, have a go at the person who (legitimately) asked it.

Though i must say, whats the point of appearing invisible, then posting. Kinda blows the cover really. Its like kids playing hide and seak, but giggling so much they give their hiding place away.

Would be interesting to know (thats if i'm allowed) why people do set it to invisible. Cant see any benefit of it personally
Aside from "I thought I'd give it a try" the only person who's offered a concrete reason is Voltman, who says he often posts at work and doesn't want to give the false impression he's "around" when he's nothing of the sort.

Fiery

Banned
Well it's everyone's business who's invisible, and it's also very obvious.

Obviously, it's at the discretion of the person concerned to reveal why if they wish, and not if they don't, as it is with a name.
Not everyone's as nosey as you

Fiery

Banned

If you must know, the main reason I do it is because I'm usually logged in all day from work or home but not necessarily on the site so don't want people to think I'm there when I'm not. I'm sure this is why most people use it, if you must know. But as I said, it really isn't anyone else business whether people chose to use it or not, and for people to constantly ask about it defeats the purpose of the privacy the option is designed for

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As cpr said, though - by posting, you're automatically blowing that privacy, to anyone who's "nosey" enough to take any note.

It's nothing to me who's on invisible and who's not, nor why they are. I'm not going to have anything to put that information to use on. But it is something that's very obvious if you make any effort to notice, and it won't give you any privacy from the prying.

Fiery

Banned
As cpr said, though - by posting, you're automatically blowing that privacy, to anyone who's "nosey" enough to take any note.

It's nothing to me who's on invisible and who's not, nor why they are. I'm not going to have anything to put that information to use on. But it is something that's very obvious if you make any effort to notice, and it won't give you any privacy from the prying.
It's about respecting people's privacy

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also I'm pretty sure that you appear "online" for the 15 minutes after your last activity. So people who are at work, if they've not done anything for 14 minutes still appear as though they are doing something with the default setting.

cpr

International Coach
Didnt say i must know, just i was interested, if you didnt want me to know, all it took was either a polite 'i'd rather keep that to myself thank you', or just ignore the question. Wasnt exactly holding a gun to your head forcing you to answer.

Can to an extent understand why you have it set to that now, though given most people dont really look at the who's online box, and theres not many people who demand instant replies, plus no PM's for them to harrass you, so to me it doesnt really make much difference. Actually, left mine open for hours whilst i've gone out without realising, so it looks like i'm viewing OT all day, doesnt really make much difference.

Each to their own though

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol @ this argument. Again.

I changed mine a while back just for the hell of it and never changed it back.