• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How about this field setting

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by aussie_beater
A very interesting field setting...McGrath bowling to Grant Flower in 1999.

http://login.hq.cricinfo.org/perl/picture.cgi/007651/AUS

There was a picture of Dennis Lilee bowling to this exact same field placement sometime in the seventies.

[Edited on 18/12/2002 by aussie_beater]
Easy runs on the Leg Side if you can get it there :rolleyes:

Most amusing if G.Flower got a couple through the gaps in the slips....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I consider that disrespect for Grant Flower's batting ability. It's sort of a mockery and if I were Flower I would look to belt anything pitched up straight back down the ground.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Better be careful it doesn't swing any. Or move off the pitch. Get it slightly wrong and you're guaranteed it's going to go to someone - it certainly won't find a gap in that cordon!!! :O

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Better be careful it doesn't swing any. Or move off the pitch. Get it slightly wrong and you're guaranteed it's going to go to someone - it certainly won't find a gap in that cordon!!! :O
Well I'll play Waugh at his own game... I'll take my bat swap hands and bat left handed.....wont find the slips now!!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I think u'll find that it wasn't Flower,
From memory Zimbabwe were 8 or 9 down and were missing everything that was thrown at them......

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Yeh it will be surprising if it was G Flower, who is a prtty decent bat. But its all mind games anyways, the best case scenario is that Grant gets rattled and gives his wicket away in doign somehting stupid, but the worst case scenario is that Zimb score a few easy runs, which probably idnt mean much at that point anyways.

If I remember correctly, early in Ranatunga's career, Imran once bowled with 8 or 9 slips. But obviously it was a test match, I have never seen this in ODI. Although from this angle it looks as though they are not all slips anyways, infact the last two guys look more like point.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I consider that disrespect for Grant Flower's batting ability. It's sort of a mockery and if I were Flower I would look to belt anything pitched up straight back down the ground.

I have been hearing this from those matches Australia set fields for England as well. And IMO its drivel. If the concerned team/players are good enough then they will be good enough to defeat the field as well. No point in labelling it mockery or anything. Infact If I were the batsmen I would be thinking how stupid the opposite captain is for leaving that legside open for me !

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Yes cricinfo has changed access permissions to that link and now it needs authorization, it seems.

Anyway the picture was similar to this one, which has Lillee bowling to somebody in the seventies with nine slips.

Quiz: Can anybody identify the venue in this picture ? :rolleyes:

Attachments

Rich2001

International Captain
aussie_beater said:
Yes cricinfo has changed access permissions to that link and now it needs authorization, it seems.
Probably couldn't work out why a 3-4 year old photo suddenly had a major rush of viewers wantting to see it :lol: