• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hiring a cricket coach

Isura

U19 Captain
Hey guys,

I would like to start playing organized cricket again.. Problem is that I'm not very good, and don't have much experience (I'm 25, but only started playing at around 21, but then took the last 2 years off). So I've played about 2 seasons of club cricket here in Canada. I would like to learn the game properly, and work on my skills at a focused level. The team that I played for didn't really have practices or coaches, so it is tough for me.

Do ex players do this on a part time basis? I am about 1 hour from Toronto, so I imagine there are lots of good players there. I have no idea where to start though. I'm looking for someone to work with me one-on-one for a few hours a week. What would the going rate be? I don't mind paying upto about $100 per hour.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Holy crap. For $100 an hour you will have coaches lining up around the block :)

I would recommend finding a coach locally (maybe contacting the local Association) and setting a finite number of sessions.

I would recommend 8 as you must be aware that some coaches see 1-on-1 private coaches as a cash cow that can be milked indefinately.

8 sessions (max) allows the coach to make changes and improvements without the process dragging on forever. If there is no clearly defined time period then some coaches will drag the process out without making the reqiuired changes.

Good Luck

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd do it for $100/hour. My method boils down to: bowl exactly like McGrath or run two laps around the ground.

Just make sure you get a coach with some qualifications, and not just Joe from wherever.

Isura

U19 Captain
Should I look for people with coaching certifications? Is there an international standard for this, so I know what I'm getting?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Should I look for people with coaching certifications? Is there an international standard for this, so I know what I'm getting?
Coaching quals are a starting point but far more important are personal recommendations. Talk to people and find out who is highly respected or saught after.

Chat to them over the phone and take them on if you feel like you can trust them. Coaching quals aren't that important compared to reputation and experience.