• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

helmets park cricket

uvelocity

International Coach
just occurred to me to ask this, i play park its pretty dangerous. in our rulebook it says from 2019 all bats and keepers up to the stumps as well as short legs etc have to wear helmets. is that in everyone elses rule books too?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't worn a helmet since I stopped playing A grade. Came back this year and promised Mrs Burgey i would wear one. She turned up last week and saw me batting without one, and I had to settle for a handy that night.

So, yes, will face anyone without one who isn't a first class player, because I'm stupid and old and my head is hard.

uvelocity

International Coach
have a look in your rule book for me please, i guess you would have insurance with jlt like everyone i wonder if its from them. i actually do wear a lid when batting, not for bouncers but for top edges. true story have hit myself badly a couple of times. seems silly to me to tell old blokes with hard heads what to do

Burgey

Nah once on seniors it's your own choice. Seriously, run at me, ****.

I can't drive properly because my knees are shot, but I beg you to drop short.

uvelocity

International Coach
im telling you ****, its in our 2016/2017 rule book that all juniors must wear helmets, and from 2019 all seniors. we umpire ourselves so we say who gives a ****, but when it comes to finals and we get the dumb old ump nobody wants but knows every rule backwards, its gonna be dramas

listento_me

U19 Captain
In England, at school level, you HAVE to wear a helmet, batsmen and keepers. Which is horrible as a keeper because the poor quality helmets we used to get would restrict movement and visibility,

Burgey

im telling you ****, its in our 2016/2017 rule book that all juniors must wear helmets, and from 2019 all seniors. we umpire ourselves so we say who gives a ****, but when it comes to finals and we get the dumb old ump nobody wants but knows every rule backwards, its gonna be dramas
Look, I hear you man. Truth be told I should wear one cos top edge, but it's too ****ing hot. I seen Burgeinho today in reps bat four, they've one **** who gets it above wAist high (kkd was quick tbf) and he has to stillwear a lid, **** dar ****

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

That's absurd, I haven't worn a helmet in club cricket for the last few years. No one even bowls above 120. And keeping up with a helmet is something I've only very rarely seen anyone do.

Burgey

In England, at school level, you HAVE to wear a helmet, batsmen and keepers. Which is horrible as a keeper because the poor quality helmets we used to get would restrict movement and visibility,
Yeah, but England. I mean, come on

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Was mandatory when last I played in the US. Liability thing. Having never worn one in Aus park cricket it was a tough adjustment. Forcing keepers is dumb.

Daemon

Helmet's saved me lots of times, personally don't ever go out without one.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In five/ten years most keepers will be wearing helmets up to the stumps, simply because they've grown up doing it through juniors so it's what they're used to.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I always wear one while batting; grown up doing it, heat doesn't bother me too much, and I'm more confident having it on. Hate 'keeping with one on though; only time I run one out is if I'm up to the stumps to a pace bowler and they're not super-accurate.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Look, I hear you man. Truth be told I should wear one cos top edge, but it's too ****ing hot. I seen Burgeinho today in reps bat four, they've one **** who gets it above wAist high (kkd was quick tbf) and he has to stillwear a lid, **** dar ****
Yeah, but top edges/beamers etc as you say, right? I wore a beamer in the right cheekbone in high school, bowler would've been 120 tops - fractured and displaced cheekbone that apparently could've affected eyesight a bit higher. Still hurts in the coldest of weather. I've got no issues with compulsory helmets at all. Cricket is a summer sport, too hot doesn't cut it. Hats at the batting crease are for when you get to 99, there's a camera or two there and you want to play the showpony.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
In five/ten years most keepers will be wearing helmets up to the stumps, simply because they've grown up doing it through juniors so it's what they're used to.
Peter McGlashan used to wear the catcher's mask, which made complete sense. But given he was well known as 'McFashion' and liked to do things differently/for attention, no one was keen to be a follower. It's much lighter, better vision, able to be whipped off quickly I imagine, can't see why keepers aren't doing it more.