• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Helmet or no helmet

andmark

International Captain
If you had to bat proffesionally and you got the choice to where a helmet what would you say yes/no

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah, your skull is mucho's more flexible.

doesn't really matter helmet or no helmet.

Dravid

International Captain
Usually where a Helmet, but after I've been there for a while, I prefer to take it off because it tends to get too hot in there.

deeps

International 12th Man
I used to never wear one but I decided to do so a few seasons ago. Now i wear one almost all the time.

Incidentally, i got hit on the helmet for the first time last week:p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The higher level you go, the more essential it is to wear a helmet. At the FC level and above, its pretty much a requirement or you won't last long.

If I was a fast bowler and I saw someone coming in without a helmet, I'd bowl bouncers until one hits him in the head.

open365

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
The higher level you go, the more essential it is to wear a helmet. At the FC level and above, its pretty much a requirement or you won't last long.

If I was a fast bowler and I saw someone coming in without a helmet, I'd bowl bouncers until one hits him in the head.
They lasted pretty well in the old days...

I prefer to bat without a helmet but i'm not allowed to because i'm U18

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've had ball-and-face moments too often to bat without - unless it's a ridiculously low standard of bowling, The way I generally bat as a tailender facing quicks at the end of the innings (i.e. charging anyone and everyone) combined with a hideous lack of talent is likely to make me head for casualty before too long without.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
open365 said:
They lasted pretty well in the old days...

I prefer to bat without a helmet but i'm not allowed to because i'm U18
People didn't hook compulsively in the old days.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I hate wearing a helmet, but I'd never bat without one.

Incidentally, I've only ever faced one ball above chest height. It knocked my helmet off.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Viv Richards never wore a helmet and was never hit. I don't wear one either because it's not necessary at lower levels. I never wear a box either, I've only been hit once. It was quite painful and I ended up being put in charge of the Christmas Rotary Club Funds for that year.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
I head wearing a helmet, but I'd never bat without one.
You "head wearing a helmet"?:-O
I bet that's the first time that statement has ever been used in the history of the Universe.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
You "head wearing a helmet"?:-O
I bet that's the first time that statement has ever been used in the history of the Universe.
Oh dear. Stupidest typo ever. Meant to say "hate"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never worn one. Never been hit, touch wood. At the level I play wearing one marks you out as a potential target.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I always refused to wear a helmet until I was about 20 yrs old. I would face good quality (FC) quicks in the nets and games without one. In fact I also didn't wear a thigh pad.

I then started to wear one as I feared top edging a sweep and therefore wore them against spinners.

Having 2 kids now and being far more aware of my own mortality, I wear the helmet if facing anyone rapid or if I know I will be sweeping. Otherwise I dont bother.

I do wear them often in nets as I dont want to risk getting hurt in a practice but in most games against most bowlers I dont see the point.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I cant use one, feel so enclosed and clostraphobic. Tho if theres someone really express i might occassionaly use it. Ive nevcer got out of double figures with one, and i averaged 27 last season with a top score of 104, and didnt use one once. Though the pitches at our club are very slow and low, so much so i cant play cross batted at all, i score all my runs with drives and flicks etc, and the occasional glide to 3rd man