• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heath Streak - Under rated?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I remember the days when Heath Streak was one of the best bowlers in the world.

He was always steady, and held his own in a team that was going backwards more often than not.

His career record http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/player/55761.html suggests a very good player and he is still doing the business for Warwickshire, with not much hope of playing for Zimbabwe again.

What are your impressions of Heath Streak and do you feel he was underrated?

Mine would be him slamming Craig McMillan all around Eden Park in this game (strangely his batting, not his bowling), http://nz.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...M_IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/ZIM_NZ_ODI3_07JAN2001.html

And I feel he was under rated. Like Stuart MacGill (who people say "if only he was from a different country" about), imagine if Heath had played for another country.

Just feeling reminiscent about Zimbabwe cricket, that's all :happy:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Anyone who takes 200 Test wickets, and even moreso at under 30, is a top class player. Let alone doing it under the circumstances he has - not only politically, but being a one man attack for much of the time, and having to (attempt to) rescue his side with the bat multitudes of times.

Swervy

International Captain
yeah I think Streak is hugley under rated...he would have been a real handful if he had have kept his pace from 10 years ago

oz_fan

International Regular
Heath was a top class cricketer but because he came from Zimbabwe he didn't get the kind of exposure around the world that other cricketers do and has come to be underated.
Really impressive allround statistics especially in ODI's.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
He's in my all-time eleven. I just like his grit and courage, how he never lets go even when his team is practically a lost cause. He was and still is a reliable performer with bat and ball.

Blaze

Banned
chooka_nick said:
He's in my all-time eleven. I just like his grit and courage, how he never lets go even when his team is practically a lost cause. He was and still is a reliable performer with bat and ball.
He isn't in mine.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Anyone who takes 200 Test wickets, and even moreso at under 30, is a top class player. Let alone doing it under the circumstances he has - not only politically, but being a one man attack for much of the time, and having to (attempt to) rescue his side with the bat multitudes of times.

agreed

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Top Cricketer. And yes he was vastly underrater because he played for Zimbabwe. If he played for a team like India he would have been the second biggest star after Tendulkar..

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Top Cricketer. And yes he was vastly underrater because he played for Zimbabwe. If he played for a team like India he would have been the second biggest star after Tendulkar..
and Ganguly ... and Dravid ... and Sehwag ... and Kumble ... and of course AA
But yeah, he didn't get the credit he deserved because he played for the wrong team.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i think he got a lot of credit because he played for an otherwise star-shorn team like zimbabwe...he and andy flower and maybe houghton before them were the only real stars...but yeah excellent bowler and cricketer.....

adharcric

International Coach
well i think people assumed that since he's from zimbabwe, he can't possibly be as good as he seems.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
I think we may be getting how famous a player is with how well rated he is, Flower in particular. Many people speak highly of him and quite rightly so but I think the fact that he is so respected in cricketing circles (he was even a Wisden cricketer of the year in 2002) shows he is not as underated as people think.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
crickhowell said:
I think we may be getting how famous a player is with how well rated he is, Flower in particular. Many people speak highly of him and quite rightly so but I think the fact that he is so respected in cricketing circles (he was even a Wisden cricketer of the year in 2002) shows he is not as underated as people think.
Even?

He averaged 50+ in Test cricket. Why shouldn't he have ever scored a Cricketer of the Year award?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
vic_orthdox said:
Even?

He averaged 50+ in Test cricket. Why shouldn't he have ever scored a Cricketer of the Year award?
What? Re-read JB's post, Jack :p He never said Flower didn't deserve it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
well i think people assumed that since he's from zimbabwe, he can't possibly be as good as he seems.
don't think anyone who actually saw him play assumed so....and as for flower, at his peak, he was rightly considered as one of the top batsmen in international cricket...i don't think the fact that these two gentlemen were from zimbabwe affected their rating all that much.....if anything it made them stand out that much more....