• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heath Streak banned for 8 years for breaches of ICC anti-corruption code

Spark

Global Moderator
Fair to say I was not expecting this.

Heath Streak banned for eight years under ICC Anti-Corruption Code (icc-cricket.com)

Former Zimbabwe captain Heath Streak has been banned from all cricket for eight years after he accepted five charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.

Mr. Streak was charged as a participant under the Code by virtue of his status as the coach of Zimbabwe from 2016 to 2018 and as the coach of various domestic teams. The charges are as follows:

1. 2.3.2 – disclosing inside information under both the ICC Code and various domestic Codes, in circumstances where he knew or should have known that such information may be used for betting purposes. In particular, he disclosed inside information in relation to matches in the 2018 Tri-Series involving Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, the Zimbabwe v Afghanistan series in 2018, the IPL 2018 and the APL 2018.
  2. 2.3.3 – directly or indirectly soliciting, inducing, enticing, persuading, encouraging or intentionally facilitating any participant to breach the Code. In particular, he facilitated or attempted to facilitate the introduction of four different players, including a national captain, to someone he knew, or should have known, may have wanted to approach them to provide inside information for betting purposes.
  3. 2.4.2 – Failing to disclose the receipt of any gift, payment, hospitality or other benefit that the participant knew or should have known was given to them to procure a breach of the Code or that was made or given in circumstances that could bring the participant or the sport of cricket into disrepute.
  4. 2.4.4 - Failing to disclose to the ACU full details of any approaches or invitations received to engage in corrupt conduct under the Code including in relation to international matches, matches in the 2017 BPL, the 2018 Pakistan Super League, the 2018 IPL and the 2018 APL.
  5. Article 2.4.7 – obstructing or delaying an investigation, including concealing, tampering with or destroying any documentation or other information that may be relevant to that investigation and / or that may be evidence of or may lead to the discovery of evidence of corrupt conduct under the ICC Anti-Corruption Code.
Under the provisions of the Code, Mr. Streak chose to admit the charges and agreed the sanction with the ICC in lieu of an Anti-Corruption Tribunal hearing. He will be free to resume his involvement in the game on 28 March 2029.
Wonder if anyone will bother digging deeper into whether any shenanigans surround the four tournaments/series in question...

Spark

Global Moderator
well, the said tri series ended with a Sri Lanka bowler taking a hat-trick who never played again...
I don't know if it was that year but I recall Dirk Nannes saying on radio commentary that it was plainly obvious that there was corrupt behaviour going on when he was playing in the BPL.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i mean, the obvious link is with a certain formerly banned international skipper.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I wonder what to say about these guys. Some of these boards don't respect their players and pay them **** money, how do we expect them to stay out of these things. I am not saying that players should cheat if they aren't paid well, but at least if their boards show them some respect and treat them well, the players will be inclined to stay clean because people around them are doing all they can to push them ahead.

Jack1

International Debutant
When I was a kid (teenager) Heath Streak let me bowl in the nets during an ODI game at Zimbabwe's players. These weren't reserve players, they were players preparing to bat for the game in progress. He seemed a really good guy, as did the Zimbabwe team. Considering I bowled pretty slow spin by international standards they probably weren't getting anything out of facing me either but still let me bowl at them for over an hour. So disappointing to hear this.

cnerd123

likes this
well, the said tri series ended with a Sri Lanka bowler taking a hat-trick who never played again...
Nahhh pretty sure there is a different, albiet also somewhat shocking, reason for that
Yea Shehan Madushanka was arrested for allegedly carrying around heroin in May 2020 and suspended from all cricket after that.

Doesn't explain why he went missing from the Nat set up right after taking a hattrick on ODI debut in Jan 2018, but maybe there's a link there.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Will say the same thing as I said (or at least thought I said, can't find said post atm) about John Frusciante the other day

Heroin is bad, kids