• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden & MacGill NEED to be in Australia's World Cup Squad

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree, especially with Hayden. MacGill seems to be in the same boat as Langer, in that they've both performed well in their few chances for Australia but have just never been selected again for some reason.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Kyle i have to disagree on both, yes Hayden is in good form but selecting him would be a backward step, if Katich has a bad run at the top Jaques should be given a go since he has been OD form as well. We have to look foward so Hayden cant come back in the OD team for me, let him concentrate on tests.

With MacGill he may have an outstanding domestic OD record but in the field & with the bat he is poor & those are area's cannot be overlooked. Warne wont be back in the OD team for the WC he said so very recently & Hogg has been a very good OD bowler & is excellent in the field & handy with the bat he should DEFINATELY be Australia's main spinner in the WC at least since White bowling isn't good enough has yet to obtain that role.

IF the WC were tomoro this would be my Aussie 12:

Jaques
Gilly
Punter
Marto
Symo
Pup
Mr.Cricket
Watto
Bing
Dizzy
Pigeon
Hogga - super-sub

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
tbh i think the best od team that could possibly be picked if everyone played (including warne) would be

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Lehmann
Bevan
M Clarke
B Lee
S Warne
S McGill
G McGrath

Unfortunately through the selectors breeding policy McGill doesn't play... Hayden doesn't play... Warne doesn't wanna play. Breeding doesn't let Bevan play... Breeding doesn't let Lehmann play... Breeding doesn't let Hayden play...

Even though the current aussie side is playing awesome I think this side would be even better.
has i mentioned before MacGill is not a good OD option so for me including the super-sub would be:

Gilly
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Symo
Bevan
Clarke
Lee
Warne
Dizzy
McGrath

howardj

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
tbh i think the best od team that could possibly be picked if everyone played (including warne) would be

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Lehmann
Bevan
M Clarke
B Lee
S Warne
S McGill
G McGrath

Where are you going to hide Lehmann, Bevan and MacGill in the field? One - yes. But three - no way. Furthermore, I think you've clean forgotten MHussey (please dont tell me he was a deliberate ommission).

andyc

Just for everyone to see

MacGill's stats from 3 ODI's:
6 wickets @ 17.5, ER 3.00, SR 30, 2 catches
And from his 102 List A matches:
179 wickets @ 22.95, ER 4.98, SR 27.64, 22 catches

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yes it fairly good, but we cannot discard his batting & fielding VERY importat aspects which isn't good enough for OD cricket, so we cant have him.

andyc

aussie said:
yes it fairly good, but we cannot discard his batting & fielding VERY importat aspects which isn't good enough for OD cricket, so we cant have him.
No they're not all that important aspects, especially with the Super Sub rule. All the same, McGrath's played hundreds of ODI's and he's rubbish with the bat; at least MacGill can slog a few. You can't just discard someone with stats like he has just because his fielding isn't good enough. I mean, it's not as if he can't catch a ball when it's hit his way.

adharcric

International Coach
andyc said:
No they're not all that important aspects, especially with the Super Sub rule. All the same, McGrath's played hundreds of ODI's and he's rubbish with the bat; at least MacGill can slog a few. You can't just discard someone with stats like he has just because his fielding isn't good enough. I mean, it's not as if he can't catch a ball when it's hit his way.
mcgrath is a MUCH better bowler than macgill, and yes the entire team should be above-average fielders. now i cant say much because im not an aussie fan so only you guys know how macgill fields. they could try him out, but hogg, white and especially cullen might be better options.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
Don't be afraid to actually watch a player before commenting on him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
andyc said:
No they're not all that important aspects, especially with the Super Sub rule. All the same, McGrath's played hundreds of ODI's and he's rubbish with the bat; at least MacGill can slog a few.
At least McGrath can both pick up wickets and keep it tight.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
How do you know they'll be more than able in just over 12 months time a spin bowler who has never played Internationally and a batsman with one Test behind him?
Mate, an average of 54.23 playing for four different clubs shows that Jaques is already fairly able.
And as for Cullen, he's toured Pakistan with Australia A and has played in youth leagues for many years. But then again, it is only one year til the World Cup. You could be very right about Cullen, but Jaques is already a made batsman.