• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
(i have a feeling you might have some sort of personal vendetta against hash judging by the tone of your post anyway,you've nitpicked a few stats and a few situations to to try and prove that hash is an average player whilst ignoring the majority of the stats and situations that prove that he's a great player ,hell if I wanted to I could also go to statsguru and if I looked hard enough and nitpicked a few stats hell I could probably even prove that Don Bradmen was an overrated Charlatan )
There is no personal vendetta and no nitpicking.

Am I questioning his failure in say, some random WC knockout against Australia while chasing?

Am I questioning his performance against say India in run chase when say Dhoni was the captain?

There is no stats nitpicking. He has been a complete failure in ICC tournaments and has boosted his stats by ridiculous level of minnow bashing, making it look like he is one of the best batsmen of his era and among top ten of all time, which he isn't.

You dont get a vibe of an odi ATG from Amla and he is far from that. A very good ODI batsmen at max.

Njabulo langa

Cricket Spectator
There is no ODI batsmen with as misleading stats as one could look for.

1)No great run-chase under pressure(wrong although hash is not a great chaser to say he has no great run chase is false as he does have 4 hundreds in games where sa chased and we won and numerous fifties )
2) Not a single quality inning in ICC tournaments against a top opponent(this is just plain false what about his 80 against Pakistan and 103 against sri lanka in the champions trophy games which we won btw
3) Exclude minnows and that avg slips down from 51 to 44.
(where did you get these stats from they just seem incorrect to me along with alot of what you say)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quoting for the next time you say Ashes is the biggest cricketing stage.
Fool. Thread is devoted to odi cricket. He went missing in the biggest moments. Why can’t people admit it?

Whenever people talk about custard nuts’ odi record it’s always “ooooh remember that Sharjah series in the late 90s?!”

Well, no we don’t. Because no one gives a **** about it. It’s WCs or bust with LO cricket. **** all else matters.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
(where did you get these stats from they just seem incorrect to me along with alot of what you say)
1)When you could find that only 4 of his 26 hundreds came in chases and sure a couple of them would be against minnows, it only proves my point that he is not a good chaser and succumbs to pressure situation.

2)His 103 in CT came against a low ranked side SL who are no more a force today. SL cant be categorized as minnows but runs against them dont change your legacy. The one against Pakistan was a good inning. But that is like one good performance against quality opposition in ICC tournaments over a total of 10 years and across 5 odi ICC tournaments and a number of T20 tournaments. His legacy remains stand that he is a botler in ICC tournaments and succumbs in a high-pressure run chase in limited overs.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whenever people talk about custard nuts’ odi record it’s always “ooooh remember that Sharjah series in the late 90s?!”
Haha tbh I recall his exploits in the various World Cups more than the Sharjah series.

Bahseph

State Captain
I understand all the comments about Amla's record, but as far as I know he is still playing right? Can we leave the judgement until after he is done. I'm pretty sure there isn't a team in world cricket that would like him hanging around for 30 overs in a chase because he is a "chocker".

Dendarii

International Debutant
Are we talking about same kallis who doesn't even have a half century in WC knock out match
1999 WC , 2007 WC , 2011 WC
Although Kallis does have two half-centuries a century in Champions Trophy knockout matches (even if the last one isn't a particular good example as it's one of the more famous South African chokes).

1st SF (D/N), Wills International Cup at Dhaka, Oct 30 1998 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

4th QF, ICC KnockOut at Nairobi, Oct 10 2000 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

1st SF (D/N), ICC Champions Trophy at Colombo, Sep 25 2002 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with RK more than I disagree with him. Ive always thought of Amla as a good one day batsman. But I definitely think he has a few big crosses next to his name when comparing him to the elite.

Dendarii

International Debutant
You dont get a vibe of an odi ATG from Amla and he is far from that. A very good ODI batsmen at max.
Is it that commonly held a view that Amla is an ODI ATG? You seem to be arguing very strongly against something which I don't think that many people claim. He's certainly a very good batsman and one of the best that South Africa has produced, which that seems to be the prevailing view in this thread, but you're acting as though it's not.

harsh.ag

Still probably true. Most ODI teams throughout history could probably make more use out of one Watson than one Dravid and one Ganguly.
Nah. Esp if Dravid keeps. But even otherwise. Ganguly was a world class opener in ODIs. Equal to Watson as a batsman.

Starfighter

Is it that commonly held a view that Amla is an ODI ATG? You seem to be arguing very strongly against something which I don't think that many people claim. He's certainly a very good batsman and one of the best that South Africa has produced, which that seems to be the prevailing view in this thread, but you're acting as though it's not.
I agree, it's a bit of a straw man. I certainly don't recall Amla being hailed as an ODI ATG regularly here.

FWIW the opening post is arguing against the suppositions of him being 'one of the best ODI batsmen of his generation' and 'Top ten his era' both of which a bit more arguable, but at some point it turns into ATG. I think I did call it correctly in my initial reply, it's a whinge. Saying that Yuvraj is better is telling.

In reference to the non-performances at certain stages of tournaments that often gets bandied around here, I think that although pressure does sometimes tell the idea of certain players being 'clutch players' is mostly nonsense with random variation over a small sample being most of the explaining factor.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah. Esp if Dravid keeps. But even otherwise. Ganguly was a world class opener in ODIs. Equal to Watson as a batsman.
If Dravid had to keep I might not pick him at all in a third of the ODI teams throughout history tbh. He was awful at that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In reference to the non-performances at certain stages of tournaments that often gets bandied around here, I think that although pressure does sometimes tell the idea of certain players being 'clutch players' is mostly nonsense with random variation over a small sample being most of the explaining factor.
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss :wub: