• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hashim Amla- the most misleading odi stats ever

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glenn Mcgrath has only 1 fiver in Asia. If we go only by these stats he should only be remembered as fast bowler who played supporting role in ASIA.
Then by this logic he should never never be considered among top 5 fast bowlers
No. Because subcontinent records don’t count

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Among South African odi batsmen he is behind

ABDV
Klusenar
Kallis

Might have picked Gibbs but was too inconsistent and underachieved.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just because u don't remember doesn't mean it didn't happen

Every match in 1998 and 2000 champions trophy was a knock out.
Tendulkar was the reason Australia couldn't win both Champions trophy .

Tendulkar was the top scorer in 1996 and 2003 WC and second highest scorer in 2011 WC

Tendulkar played only 1 CT final and wasn't dismissed in it.

Tendulkar has 4 half century in WC knock out match.

Amla is a glorified minnow basher.
And a bottler too!

Burgey

Yeah but that’s because he just had to show up in an odi in India to win it.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Against the top 8 teams Amla averages 48 @ 88, that is great by itself & that average is only 1 less than his career against all sides, and is streets away from your theoretical 50 & 35.

I know there's exceptions, but let's not pretend almost all the great batsmen's records - across Tests & ODIs - don't deflate when you exclude the weaker bowling attacks, so it's only worth arguing in extreme examples. Amla's is not that.
I was checking the same data that OP was referring to (exclude Minnows + Windies) and Amla was 15th in terms of average in this decade.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Does Tendulkar have any Ashes hundreds?

Didn't think so. Further proof that he's a worse batsman than David Warner.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was checking the same data that OP was referring to (exclude Minnows + Windies) and Amla was 15th in terms of average in this decade.
Nailed it. Windies in last 7-8 years have been nothing better than Zim of 90s. It makes complete sense to include them in minnows

vcs

At least he won the champions trophy by performing in semi and final
No one really cares about the Champions Trophy. He had quite a few match-losing efforts plodding along chasing stiff targets and wasting balls, at least Sachin had the courtesy to get out early in an attempt to make runs.

Njabulo langa

Cricket Spectator
Often hailed as one of the best odi batsmen of his generation and also among top 10 odi batsmen of his era(which is hillarious), (This is absolutely ridiculous, amla made his debut in 2008 ,can you honestly mention 10 odi bats ,who are better than him who've played during the era from 2008 till now or who played most of thier cricket during this era)

A test batting average of 51 at a Strike Rate of 90 is a gold for any opening batsmen. However, these stats only shows how misleading his numbers are.

Against non-minnows, Amla's average drops from a whooping 51 to only a more than decent 44 at a SR of 85. Moreover, here are his stats against two best teams of his era- Australia and India. (What are you on about, where did you get your stats ,these stats are just wrong amla averages 48 at a sr of 88 against the top 8 teams)

Australia- 33
India- 38( well going by your logic then viv who averaged 30.82 against Pakistan who were one of the best odi sides of his era is Half the player everyone thinks he is,aswell as sachin as he averages 35.73 against south africa whilst his record aginst south africa in south africa is a woeful 25.13 with 1 hundred and 1 fifty kohli also averages 43.27 in Australia against Australia ,essentially it's common sense that a player will average less against the best teams of his era and more against the poor ones)

Yet these stats dont explain how misleading his odi legacy is as compared to his figures in limited overs. Till now , he has failed in every single ICC tournament and only recently manged to score his first hundred against a non-associate team(SL) in a low-pressure game. There hasn't been a bigger bottler and minnow basher like Amla in odis. (Whilst I agree that amlas record in icc tournaments means his not quite In the league of the vivs and the kohlis,as a long suffering sa fan trust me pretty much all our players have poor and average records in icc tournaments and to call a man who opens the batting in arguably one of the hardest places to open in odi cricket and who was the fastest to 2000 till 8000 runs and to many century milestones and who is one of the key reasons if not the key reason south arica have been one of the best odi teams in the world in his era a bottler and a minnow basher is just plain disrepectfull)

As far as openers is concerned, I would look beyond statistics and won't even rate him among top5 openers of all-time.(statistics might not reveal everything but they do reveal alot and to completely disregard them Is silly and irrational)

Tendulkar(I'll give you this one tendulkar was probably better than hash)
Greendige(greenidge was a good player but not on the same level as hash)
Jayasuriya(I'm not gonna even dignify this one with a response )
Gilchrist(gilly for me was an average odi player with a few great innings in icc tourneys calling a player a great based on a few innings is wrong as it's consistency over a long period of time for me that separates the good from the great by your logic then even afridi is a better player than hash as he had a few odi innings that were all time great odi innings )
Anwar(Anwar also good but not amlas class ask anyone with a great knowledge of the game who's seen them both play whos better and i reckon most would pick amla)

The time has come for everyone to accept that Amla is not in the same leagues as Kohli and de Villiers in limited overs formats and is nowhere near the top 10 odi batsmen of all-time.
(i have a feeling you might have some sort of personal vendetta against hash judging by the tone of your post anyway,you've nitpicked a few stats and a few situations to to try and prove that hash is an average player whilst ignoring the majority of the stats and situations that prove that he's a great player ,hell if I wanted to I could also go to statsguru and if I looked hard enough and nitpicked a few stats hell I could probably even prove that Don Bradmen was an overrated Charlatan )

Heboric

International Debutant
Tendulkar > de Villiers.

de Villiers choked hilariously in WC 2011 quarter final and 2013 CT semi final.
Glenn Maxwell >>>>>> Anil Kumble
Shane Watson >>>>>> Rahul Dravid, Sarouv Ganguly combined

See what I did there