• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has the 2007 World cup format been changed again ?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
no, if there are 4 teams then there well be six matches.

eg.

WI
SL
AUS
ENG

you get: 1.WI v SL;2.WI v AUS;3.WI vENG;4.SLvAUS;5.SL v ENG;6.AUS v ENG

Revelation

U19 Debutant
no....the 6 first ronud matches that WI will be involved in are those teams that WI ae grouped with. it doesn't necessarily mean that WI will be playing 6 first round games.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't think the West Indies are very involved in New Zealand v Uganda even if that match happens to be in their group. Let's just agree on calling it ambiguous, and wait for further confirmation?

Super eights are definitely scrapped, though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
That might explain the six matches (three in prelims, three in Super eights)...but why then have quarter-finals? Makes little sense to me...

Edit: cricinfo had it messed up. ICC Announcement

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
I dont think super eight is on.....there are quarterfinals.

and if super 8s are off , then group stages must be 2 rounds of matches ,otherwise we'll end up with few matches.

Deja moo

International Captain
If super 8s are on , its good then . Better to play super 8s than 2 matches vs each minnow in the group stages.

Deja moo

International Captain
Does that allocation mean that India ( for example ) will play all of their first 6 matches in T&T only ?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
that's correct. India play their 4 first matches in T&T and then move on to another island depending on if they qualify as group winner or runner up.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
by the way, i'd just like it to be known that i think that T&T was given a raw deal in WC 2007. T&T was the best and most suited to host the opening ceremony. Imagine the Queen's Park Oval (the equivalent of Lords in England) will onyl host first round matches! That's shameful and i think it has more to do with politics than with preparedness. The T&T government is pumping TT$100 million and the TT Board of Cricket TT$40 million (Total: about TT$140 million or US$22 million) into upgrading the venue for what now? T&T successfully hosted the 1999 Miss Universe Pageant and the 2001 FIFA Under-17 World Cup. Again i say that we have been given a raw deal. Antigua, Grenada and even St Kitts, who got the group with the defending champs got a better deal.

Deja moo

International Captain
Revelation said:
by the way, i'd just like it to be known that i think that T&T was given a raw deal in WC 2007. T&T was the best and most suited to host the opening ceremony. Imagine the Queen's Park Oval (the equivalent of Lords in England) will onyl host first round matches! That's shameful and i think it has more to do with politics than with preparedness. The T&T government is pumping TT$100 million and the TT Board of Cricket TT$40 million (Total: about TT$140 million or US$22 million) into upgrading the venue for what now? T&T successfully hosted the 1999 Miss Universe Pageant and the 2001 FIFA Under-17 World Cup. Again i say that we have been given a raw deal. Antigua, Grenada and even St Kitts, who got the group with the defending champs got a better deal.

Yeah , that surprised me .T&T is one of the major centres , isnt it ?

Also it seems odd to have 4 matches played successively on the same ground for some teams.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
T&T is THE major centre in the Caribbean. Best medical facilities, richest in terms of real GDP (over US$12 billion for a poulation of just over 1.2 million) and with one of the oldest grounds in the WORLD. QPO is also the largest of any ground in the Caribbean with a seating capacity of 40,000 with the temporary seats. QPO has hosted over 50 Tests (most by a ground in the Caribbean and 6th most by any ground in history) and the most ODI's in the Caribbean. T&T should have AT LEAST been awarded a package with Super 8 games and it was only fair that we got either the yellow or black package. (yellow=opening ceremony and group with WI and a semi final (which went to Jamaica) and black=3 Super 8 games and the Final which went to Barbados). In the end we got the very worst (no insult to India). Runners up of WC 2003, another team ranked lower than 5th and most likely 2 qualifiers. 6 First round games and that's it. IT IS A CRYING SHAME FOR WHICH THE GOVERNMENT OF T&T AND THE WICB MUST ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
T&T is THE major centre in the Caribbean. Best medical facilities, richest in terms of real GDP (over US$12 billion for a poulation of just over 1.2 million) and with one of the oldest grounds in the WORLD. QPO is also the largest of any ground in the Caribbean with a seating capacity of 40,000 with the temporary seats. QPO has hosted over 50 Tests (most by a ground in the Caribbean and 6th most by any ground in history) and the most ODI's in the Caribbean. T&T should have AT LEAST been awarded a package with Super 8 games and it was only fair that we got either the yellow or black package. (yellow=opening ceremony and group with WI and a semi final (which went to Jamaica) and black=3 Super 8 games and the Final which went to Barbados). In the end we got the very worst (no insult to India). Runners up of WC 2003, another team ranked lower than 5th and most likely 2 qualifiers. 6 First round games and that's it. IT IS A CRYING SHAME FOR WHICH THE GOVERNMENT OF T&T AND THE WICB MUST ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILITY.