• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has more money made the Australian cricketers bogans?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see. Not that I'm a fan of the term CHAV (strictly speaking it is actually an acronym - council housed and violent) but if this thread was "has more money made the England cricketers CHAVs?" I'd think "haha, bad use of terminology there".

Surely "has more money made the Australian cricketers ****s?" would've been better?
Don't think you can be strict about it at all, tbh. Was under the impression no-one knows the One True Origin. Anyone know whether it's related to 'chavo'? Has a similar meaning after all.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think you can be strict about it at all, tbh. Was under the impression no-one knows the One True Origin. Anyone know whether it's related to 'chavo'? Has a similar meaning after all.
Think Richards explanation is a myth, there were loads of explinations of its origins given around the time that it came into common use. Like any social label of course it took on a meaning of its own and came to encompass all sort of different groups and people.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure if there is an absolutely accepted origin - one of the reasons I'm not keen on it is that it isn't really a word at all, it's just vague slang - but that's one I've heard many times. Wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where it came from.

Matt79

Global Moderator
David Beckham does all that and he's a bogan if ever I saw one. And Mark Waugh loves the trots = bogan.

Of the current set up -
Katich - non bogan
Watson - metrosexual bogan
Ponting - bogan made good
Hussey - non bogan
Clarke - metrosexual bogan
North - non bogan I'd say
Haddin - non bogan
Johnson - metrosexual, but not bogan IMO
Hauritz - Non bogan
Siddle - Bogan
Bollinger - Bogan
Hilfenhaus - Tasmanian
Hughes - Bogan
Clark - non bogan
McKay - non bogan
Lee - metrosexual but not bogan

Andrew Pollock

School Boy/Girl Captain
David Beckham does all that and he's a bogan if ever I saw one. And Mark Waugh loves the trots = bogan.

Of the current set up -
Katich - non bogan
Watson - metrosexual bogan
Ponting - bogan made good
Hussey - non bogan
Clarke - metrosexual bogan
North - non bogan I'd say
Haddin - non bogan
Johnson - metrosexual, but not bogan IMO
Hauritz - Non bogan
Siddle - Bogan
Bollinger - Bogan
Hilfenhaus - Tasmanian
Hughes - Bogan
Clark - non bogan
McKay - non bogan
Lee - metrosexual but not bogan
IMO Haddin who be selected captain of the Bogan XI with M Clarke as VC

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Far higher percentage of bogans in the baggy green than we have chavs in our test side, if Matt's analysis is anything to go by. Now Fred & Harmy are gone only really KP has a hint of the blinged-up chav about him and he's just foreign enough to get away with his gaucheness, IMHO.

Actually, Prior sports or used to sport an earring, which is a wee bit chavvy too.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Far higher percentage of bogans in the baggy green than we have chavs in our test side, if Matt's analysis is anything to go by. Now Fred & Harmy are gone only really KP has a hint of the blinged-up chav about him and he's just foreign enough to get away with his gaucheness, IMHO.

Actually, Prior sports or used to sport an earring, which is a wee bit chavvy too.
Yeah, we need Ravi back to get our chav quota going again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
AFAIK neither Pietersen nor Prior are from remotely lower-class backgrounds... not sure about Bopara and even though some southern legend has it that all northerners are lower-class I'm actually not entirely sure about Harmison either (that isn't to say he is or isn't BTW, just that I'm not sure and I'd imagine plenty just label all northerners as lower-class).

Actually of course regardless of what class Harmison springs from he's fairly clearly not remotely CHAV-ish. Never rated him as a bowler but he's near enough universally recognised as one of life's good guys.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Good old Wikipedia informs me it's the Aus/NZ equivalent of "chav" or "pikey". Basically, someone from a lower class background.
Well given that i am termed as a chav according to our English culture. I struggle to see how any AUS players are chav's :laugh:. Do the AUS team outside of the cricket field:

- Wear fitted caps back to front
- Wear baggy jeans, with there underpants showing
- Wear baggy t-shirts
- Wear Jordan sneakers or air-forces
- Wear BIG platinum & gold chains
- Smoke weed on the corner

I would think not. People in ENG here call KP & Flintoff chavs i have never understood why TBH.