• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

has Bangladesh replace Windies as a long term top 8

Xuhaib

International Coach
with BD rapid rise and seeing the support of the game in that country I struggle to see them going back to their 2000-2014 days. So will see them overtaking Winides asa new top 8 or will West indies continue to produce enough quality to stay ahead of Bangladesh?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nope, it's just that now there is a top 9 and a turd instead of a top 8 and 2 turds

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like the imagery of Harsh's post but is essentially accurate. Let them get through this test anyway. And secondly let them go on a road trip. They have been decent at home for some years. I think they started to make a statement that day that Vettori had to come to our rescue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bangladesh have been more competitive at home of late and I wouldn't bet against them challenging WI's #8 spot within the next ten years, but I do think we all get ahead of ourselves on this topic sometimes. They still haven't actually won a single Test match against serious opposition yet. Hopefully once they actually do get in a win against a top eight side that doesn't have its players' union striking, they'll be able to push forward from there.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Need them to win some tests first and not get gubbed away but they are heading in the right direction at last.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
What format are we talking here? I'll be the first to admit how clearly wrong I was about their odi side, the results suggest they are better than WI, SL, and Pak there already. It wouldn't surprise anyone if they are a permanent top 5 odi team pretty soon, it maybe that they already are.

But tests? Don't get carried away just yet. Unlike BD, Zim actually beat a top 8 side and that was only 2 years ago too. Does anybody actually think Zim are not a minnow? If they do actually start winning though, it's hard to see them ending up in the Zim situation considering the passion for the game in the country.

But I will say that it wouldn't surprise me if they are superior to WI or SL after a few years. Because now you finally feel that they are coming of age and shedding the minnow status like SL did in the 90's.

smash84

The Tiger King
What format are we talking here? I'll be the first to admit how clearly wrong I was about their odi side, the results suggest they are better than WI, SL, and Pak there already. It wouldn't surprise anyone if they are a permanent top 5 odi team pretty soon, it maybe that they already are.

But tests? Don't get carried away just yet. Unlike BD, Zim actually beat a top 8 side and that was only 2 years ago too. Does anybody actually think Zim are not a minnow? If they do actually start winning though, it's hard to see them ending up in the Zim situation considering the passion for the game in the country.

But I will say that it wouldn't surprise me if they are superior to WI or SL after a few years. Because now you finally feel that they are coming of age and shedding the minnow status like SL did in the 90's.
This sounds like an off-field gambhiring post across all formats

A post quite in the mold of "Chris Martin is closer in Average to Viv than Viv is to Bradman"
Not really. Howe referred to "top teams" not "top team" and the bell curve on say the ICC team rankings does not have the top teams as statistical outliers in the same way Bradman's batting average was as compared to other batsmen.

Howe's post was fair in saying that the West Indies are closer to becoming a bottom ranked test nation with Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in world cricket than Bangladesh a powerhouse with Australia and South Africa. Your post was clever, but really its sophistry.

Bangladesh has not "fluked" their way ahead of the West Indies (and Pakistan) in the ODI rankings, whether the West Indies suffers from far too much political and financial upheaval or not.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I can't help but to think that with so many people in Bangladesh passionate about cricket they're bound to have a top team sooner or later.