• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hardest Shot to Play?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
What do you think is the hardest shot to play?

I think the On Drive because your balance, foot position, weight and everything else has to be perfect to play it along the ground with correct timing.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
personally i find the hoik easier than the reverse sweep, its just like a lofted normal sweep at a tighter angle

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
ANd how about the non-inventive shots.. I have never done that Ryan Campbell thing but find the reverse sweep quite easy.

Those shot require a bit of luck. It doesn't matter about balance etc. And we arn't really going to be playing them in the first 40 overs(well we shouldn't be)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think personally the key to cutting is balance and getting back and accross

with your reverse sweep, do you switch the positions of your hands?

Eclipse

International Debutant
The only shot I ever have real trouble with is the late cut but thankfully I usualy miss it compleatly.

The On Drive was hard to learn for me especialy when you start playing against better oposition and they start to swing the ball in more consistantly.

If the ball is not swinging in I love the on drive it's very natrual to me now probably one of my favorite shots.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Tamara said:
ANd how about the non-inventive shots.. I have never done that Ryan Campbell thing but find the reverse sweep quite easy.

Those shot require a bit of luck. It doesn't matter about balance etc. And we arn't really going to be playing them in the first 40 overs(well we shouldn't be)
Campbell actualy tryed it a few times during a FC match amazingly lol.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont play the reverse sweep any more it's just to risky and usualy when ever I have played it I only ever got 1-2 runs max.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
The square cut.
Strangely I can play it well off fast bowlers and spiners, but screw up to medium pacers due to indecisive footwork.
Late cut is fine.

I have heard commentators say that the on-drive is the most difficult shot to play, but somehow never thought it was. I have never had a problem with that stroke.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
the back foot on drive is the hardest shot to play - it's just so hard to get any power on it.

for me, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, pretty much everything, not much of a bat. I'm just a swing, and if i hit it goes a long way, if I miss, well it might hit the stumps or I might get another chance.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I can safely say the hardest shot ever invented is the "Marillier" created by Zimbabwe's Douglas Marillier. To play it you have to wait till the ball has passed you then hit it as it is zooming towards the keeper's gloves. Not only that but it requires such pre-meditation that if the bowler decides to slip in a yorker your ****ed...

Still you can't beat the feeling you get when you hit it for 6!

Legglancer

State Regular
I think its the Legglance ..... It took a long time to learn to execute properly. Gower, Mark Waugh, Aravinder are masters of it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I usually have problems playing the ball when it is pitched up on the leg side.. It should be a gimmie, but i normally get top edges...

Hardest shot? Definitely the Marillier, or the McMillan, or maybe the reverse sweep which is more orthodox

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
same with me. whenever the balls pitched up on leg, i have problems. except i usually just miss it!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I usually have problems playing the ball when it is pitched up on the leg side..
You may want to watch Sachin play it (duh!).

Seriously, he rarely gets an outer edge (or top edge) when he's playing the ball to the leg.
It has to do with the way he controls his wrist more than anything else. He doesnt whip it like, say, Dravid does. His followthrough is also different for that shot. Not good at explaining this. You could watch a slo-mo replay of him playing this shot (any Sachin innings), and copy it!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Legglancer said:
I think its the Legglance ..... It took a long time to learn to execute properly. Gower, Mark Waugh, Aravinder are masters of it.
I find it amazingly easy to play to throwdowns but when a quick bowler is bowling you have to judge the bounce and the length to perfection. Either that or have wrists that can turn back on themselves (hmmm Murali would be good at that). Failing that, just premeditate like me...