• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Marshall

psxpro

Banned
What do you guys think of Hamish Marshall?
I thought his 146 In the first test vs aus was sensational.

Could be exactly what we need at no 3.

ITs strange that his first class record is so crap in nz (both 4 day and 1 day). Yet he has a superb odi record, and has made a good start to test cricket.
I think he can be our best batsman and average 45 in tests.

He is already a superb odi batsman.
 

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
What do you guys think of Hamish Marshall?
I thought his 146 In the first test vs aus was sensational.

Could be exactly what we need at no 3.

ITs strange that his first class record is so crap in nz (both 4 day and 1 day). Yet he has a superb odi record, and has made a good start to test cricket.
I think he can be our best batsman and average 45 in tests.

He is already a superb odi batsman.
I think he can succeed purely due to the fact he offers something different to much of the New Zealand batting line-up, and he does that thing different quite well.

He's fairly compact and doesn't seem to lack in concentration.

Hopefully he goes on from this series.
 

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Definately doesn't lose concentration. Fantastic technique and quick hands. Macca must hate the guy. He would be thinking - "how can a guy start slowly then score nearly a run a ball every innings?" Where o where have I gone wrong.

Marshall will sit the mark for future players and how they attack their game. Seeing they can be successful with minimal risk will only serve to help their games.
 

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
His brother James has been called up as well for the 3rd test and will open. i like th new line up.
Craig Cumming, J Marshall, H Marshall, S Flemming, Lou Vincent, N Astle, McCullum.

Hamish has a good technique for 3 and Lou Vincent is their Thorpesque grinder at 5. Should be a more solid lineup now.

Thinkinb about it, aren't they copying england abit. Captain and star batsman at 4, the destructive guy at 6. New comer in at 2. that slight feeling of dejavu is just coming on abit

but then again they have a more than decent no3 ***Key***
 
Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
I think he can succeed purely due to the fact he offers something different to much of the New Zealand batting line-up, and he does that thing different quite well.
He can't possibly be successful just because he's different.
The second part makes much more sense.
 

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
He can't possibly be successful just because he's different.
The second part makes much more sense.
He can if the rest of the batsmen are similar to each other - therefore the bowlers have to adjust their attack accordingly.
 

thierry henry

International Captain
imo- flat track bully. Not that it matters much these days. Will benefit more than most from the modern perception of a "good" pitch.
 

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
He can't possibly be successful just because he's different.
The second part makes much more sense.
Strangely, I find myself agreeing with Richard. It's like saying that every team needs a left arm seamer to provide the necessary variation. Well Australia doesn't use one!!!

I think Marshall is basically stuck on the back foot. Straight, full bowling with the appropriate field would severly restrict his scoring and significantly improve wicket-taking. Also has a poor record against spin, possibly because of his back-foot tendency.

That said, I think he has performed admirably in comparison to the rest of the BC top order this summer.
 

Ming

State 12th Man
thierry henry said:
imo- flat track bully. Not that it matters much these days. Will benefit more than most from the modern perception of a "good" pitch.
Has he even played on a bad deck yet?
 

Natman20

International Debutant
Hes an awesome fielder as well as a great batsman. His brother I think will be just like him
 

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The key with Marshall is that he doesn't seem to be mentally troubled like McMillan, Fleming & co can be.

He just goes out to bat & does the basics.
 

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why you've got the knives out for Marshall, Thierry. The rest of our batting lineup can't even score runs on a flat-track..so im not complaining if Marshall does.
 

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
SpeedKing said:
His brother James has been called up as well for the 3rd test and will open. i like th new line up.
Craig Cumming, J Marshall, H Marshall, S Flemming, Lou Vincent, N Astle, McCullum.

Hamish has a good technique for 3 and Lou Vincent is their Thorpesque grinder at 5. Should be a more solid lineup now.

Thinkinb about it, aren't they copying england abit. Captain and star batsman at 4, the destructive guy at 6. New comer in at 2. that slight feeling of dejavu is just coming on abit

but then again they have a more than decent no3 ***Key***
Hmmm...odd similarities indeed. If only we had Richardson at the top of the order (a la Trescothick) and that would be a very similar lineup. On paper, the team looks like a typical Kiwi side, capable of getting together and producing a team effort in pursuit of victory - and as long as they remain competitive I'll be right behind them.
 

thierry henry

International Captain
Tim said:
I don't know why you've got the knives out for Marshall, Thierry. The rest of our batting lineup can't even score runs on a flat-track..so im not complaining if Marshall does.
Sorry, forgot he was NZ cricket's other golden boy. Marshall and Vettori for co-captaincy!
 

thierry henry

International Captain
Prince EWS said:
Exactly.

And look at his FC record!

This definately backs up Theirry's point...
Yep. And I don't agree with all this talk about Marshall's great technique. He can't even score down the ground ffs. All you'd have to do is bowl straight half-volleys all day and he'd never score a run. And if any of them deviated he's very liable to be bowled or LBW.
 

Top