• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guptill Trash Talk Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A thread for Blocky.

Is Guptill good enough to play ODIs? Should he give up the game entirely due to his well publicised (by Blocky) mental health issues? Should he just become a professional 12th man? Should he stick to bowling his slow dobbers?

What do you think? If we get enough ideas together, I'll put together a memo and send it to New Zealand Cricket.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...I recently took a look at Guptill's stats. If you take out every run he has ever scored: he has a medium score of zero and an average of zero. So yeah, drop him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Should we change the way we rate cricketers by only rating Guptill by his median?

Yes IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I actually think his median comment was a good one.
Can you provide the context for it then? How do we know if a median is bad or good if we can't compare it to everyone.

Guptill is an ODI opener, that'd be a good place to start. What is the median for the ODI openers in the world today?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I find it funny how Blocky has managed to turn so many against him despite the fact that no-one actually really disagrees with his criticisms of guptill. He's a slow starter, can't rotate the strike, and sucks at picking gaps, which doubtless puts pressure on our other batsmen. Goes to show how important posting style is. That and not posting the same thing 9000 times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can you provide the context for it then? How do we know if a median is bad or good if we can't compare it to everyone.

Guptill is an ODI opener, that'd be a good place to start. What is the median for the ODI openers in the world today?
The median for ODI openers in ODIs between Test nations in the last 10 years is 20.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Median is a better indication of consistency, as I indicated in my award winning thread:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...tics-you-d-like-see-brought-into-cricket.html
Yeah, I can buy that - but it's meaningless without any context. We can easily compare any player's mean score in pretty much any situation on Statsguru, if the median was recorded in a similar way then we could add context to the criticism. Blocky has only compared Guptill's median to other NZ middle order batsmen. I'd suggest (without checking) that it's likely that an opener will have a worse median than a middle order batsman as they're likely to get cut off by the new ball more frequently.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
look I think every time someone wants to say a batsman's average they should instead post a histogram showing frequency of each of that player's scores colour coded by out/not-out, opposition, strength of opposition that day, ease of pitch conditions and arse-clenchingness of match situation

then there would never be any arguments at all

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, I can buy that - but it's meaningless without any context. We can easily compare any player's mean score in pretty much any situation on Statsguru, if the median was recorded in a similar way then we could add context to the criticism. Blocky has only compared Guptill's median to other NZ middle order batsmen. I'd suggest (without checking) that it's likely that an opener will have a worse median than a middle order batsman as they're likely to get cut off by the new ball more frequently.
Heef hitting the nail on the head.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Blocky may not have used it with context but nonetheless it is a money ball stat. And yes cricinfo should add it to stats guru if possible.

When Hussey had that average of 75 or whatever - I would imagine his median was dramatically lower as he dined out on not outs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes Blocky may not have used it with context but nonetheless it is a money ball stat. And yes cricinfo should add it to stats guru if possible.

When Hussey had that average of 75 or whatever - I would imagine his median was dramatically lower as he dined out on not outs.
You don't need to imagine, you can actually check.

Would be interesting to compare his median then to his final one.

You know, for context.