• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guess the cricketer from the picture clues

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Sadly, I'm not anywhere that creative, all except one are from nicknames. The actual answer any Kiwi should get.
The plane looks a matte grey colour. So could be Matt Horne. However, it appears to have space for only one pilot, who is visible in the ****pit, so it is also a full hornet. So could be Phil Horne.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The plane looks a matte grey colour. So could be Matt Horne. However, it appears to have space for only one pilot, who is visible in the ****pit, so it is also a full hornet. So could be Phil Horne.
I never even knew there were Horne brothers. I was thinking of Matt, years ago there was an Ask Steven where someone asked which cricketer was nicknamed 'Hornet'.

Starfighter

9. Kusal Mendis

10. Brian Statham
Right

1: Fred Spofforth - F3H Demon
2: Bill O'Reilly - F11F Tiger
3: Matt Horne - F/A-18 Hornet
4:
5: Doug Bollinger - F-15 Eagle
6: Allan Donald - E.E. Lightning (couldn't find a pic of one in white. Sorry).
7:
8:
9: Kusal Mendis - F9F Cougar (my favourite post on here of all time)
10: Brian Statham - Avro Lancaster 'G for George'

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha, I'm an idiot - I was trying to remember who had that nickname and it was a player I grew up watching. Wayne Phillips!

Starfighter

Ha, I'm an idiot - I was trying to remember who had that nickname and it was a player I grew up watching. Wayne Phillips!
Yeeeeessssss! Do you have an opinion on whether his dismissal in the '85 Ashes was bumped?

Now number 8 and we're done.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've watched it back a number of times but because it wasn't HD in those days it always looks inconclusive on the footage that I've seen - I really can't tell. Phillips himself swears blind to this day that it hit the ground, while David Gower insists that it didn't.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure number 8 is a Sukhoi, not a MIG, but I'm trying to remember all my old Warplanes mags and aircraft books for a nickname!

Starfighter

You see, I just used Wikipedia, I'm long past the stage when I actually thought it was worth memorising these things, and the books I had were a bit more recent. Heck, one had the F-35 - it only took another eleven years to get here!

Starfighter

Yeah, I just google image searched the last one - the "Fitter" - so that's Alan Turner?
Yes, well, Turner was Fitteran, but I'm not that fastidious for the purpose of a game.

1: Fred Spofforth - F3H Demon
2: Bill O'Reilly - F11F Tiger
3: Matt Horne - F/A-18 Hornet
4: Wayne Phillips - Ye-152A Flipper
5: Doug Bollinger - F-15 Eagle
6: Allan Donald - E.E. Lightning
7: Jack White - MiG-19 Farmer
8: Alan Turner - Su-17 Fitter
9: Kusal Mendis - F9F Cougar
10: Brian Statham - Avro Lancaster 'G for George'