• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F - France, Germany, Hungary, Portugal

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the stadium, they should just move the final there anyway. Obviously wouldn't be the same atmosphere without Hungary but still better than Wembley and the ordeal the government will make it to attend.
Maybe the worst idea since we did the salute in 1938, appeasing fascism is not a good idea in general, their fans are literally wearing "Black-Shirts", and Orban very much is using this as a 36 Olympics thing, not good.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe the worst idea since we did the salute in 1938, appeasing fascism is not a good idea in general, their fans are literally wearing "Black-Shirts", and Orban very much is using this as a 36 Olympics thing, not good.
True, but they're more relaxed about the virus. :thumbup:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
5 own goals in one tournament is comfortably a record for the Euros. Also unmatched by any world cup from before they moved to a 32-team format in 1998.

2018 world cup is miles ahead for major tournaments with 12. I wonder if there's something in the way own goals are credited now compared to years past that's making it happen.
I think so, Brian McClair famously couldn't score for Scotland despite banging them in for Motherwell, Celtic and Man Utd for years, he got his first goal at Euro 92 against the CIS which I'm sure was a shot which hit the post and went in off the back of the goalkeeper, similar to Szczesny's OG in the first game against Slovakia.

Would 100% have been counted as an own goal these days.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is a good benchmark for own goals in the mildly distant past. MacDonald was given both. The first one particularly generous.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember Ian Rush going to Juventus, and being pretty annoyed about goals he would have been giving in Division 1, that he wasn't getting in Serie A, but as he famously said "I couldn't settle in Italy, it was like living in a different country"

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I don't think you can blame own goals on VAR. I think there's a "dubious goals committee" that didn't exist years ago.
Must have existed for recent Euros certainly has in domestic comps? But agree re VAR if anything that could lessen the number of OGs - a greater incentive to play a higher defensive line knowing that all offsides will be given.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
generally goalkeepers are overprotected but i'm not sure awarding a penalty against Lloris for that is proportionate...
Goalkeepers get away with a ridiculous amount. If you're coming out with your fists and punch an opponent in the head then it should be a penalty.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
if a goalkeeper is rushing out with his fists aiming for the ball - he doesn't even see Danilo until he runs into his fist - then you know what you're putting yourself in the path of

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if a goalkeeper is rushing out with his fists aiming for the ball - he doesn't even see Danilo until he runs into his fist - then you know what you're putting yourself in the path of
I don’t really agree with your reasoning but I think Lloris gets enough of the ball to make it not a pen? I can’t really tell. If he misses it entirely it’s definitely a pen.