• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP D - India, Pakistan, Scotland

pup11

International Coach
:lol: An Indo-Pak game can't just take place without its share of drama and excitement and i never thought the game would down to wire like it did, the first ever bowl-off in the history of T20 internationals and all in all India held their nerves and at the end of the day it was a good win for India, so as expected this game surely did live up to its expectations.

With this win India's 100% win record against Pakistan at a World cup tournament remains in tact.

Athlai

Not Terrible
:lol: An Indo-Pak game can't just take place without its share of drama and excitement and i never thought the game would down to wire like it did, the first ever bowl-off in the history of T20 internationals and all in all India held their nerves and at the end of the day it was a good win for India, so as expected this game surely did live up to its expectations.

With this win India's 100% win record against Pakistan at a World cup tournament remains in tact.
Second in T20 internationals btw, NZ West Indies had one a few years back, Cairns's last match.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can an international bowler justify not being able to hit the stumps when there's no batsman there?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How can an international bowler justify not being able to hit the stumps when there's no batsman there?
Pakistani bowlers would have had a better chance with an Indian batsman at the crease. When you are bowling against India, most of the times you hit the stumps only after the batsman has inner-edged it.
:)

pup11

International Coach
I think bowl-off would be much more challenging and better if only one stump is placed in its groove to aim at, but i agree with andyc that its hard to believe that 3 international bowlers weren't able to hit unguarded stumps even once!!

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
They are the D1 team who will play England, South Africa and Australia.
Great! India would have better chance against likes of Lanka than against Eng/SA on such surfaces.I wished the match would have been declared as tied with both team sharing one point each and India ending up as D2.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think bowl-off would be much more challenging and better if only one stump is placed in its groove to aim at, but i agree with andyc that its hard to believe that 3 international bowlers weren't able to hit unguarded stumps even once!!
Well professional footballers have been known to miss the goal area completely in penalty shoot outs and they practice it all the time :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Great! India would have better chance against likes of Lanka than against Eng/SA on such surfaces.I wished the match would have been declared as tied with both team sharing one point each and India ending up as D2.
Absolutely.

Maybe Pakistani's were smart to miss the stumps completely.. They have landed themselves in what looks like an easier pool :)

I apologise for suggesting the Pakistanis had not thought out/planned/practiced their bowl out strategy. This could explain why they didn't just miss the stumps but missed them by a fair distance :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Absolutely.

Maybe Pakistani's were smart to miss the stumps completely.. They have landed themselves in what looks like an easier pool :)

I apologise for suggesting the Pakistanis had not thought out/planned/practiced their bowl out strategy. This could explain why they didn't just miss the stumps but missed them by a fair distance :)
Na, like the ODI WC the pools were predetermined, Pakistan were always going to that group, if India had been beaten by Scotland and Pakistan were 1st in this pool then Pakistan would still be in d2 while Scotland would be D1, they were just dire at the bowl out. :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Na, like the ODI WC the pools were predetermined, Pakistan were always going to that group, if India had been beaten by Scotland and Pakistan were 1st in this pool then Pakistan would still be in d2 while Scotland would be D1, they were just dire at the bowl out. :laugh:
Weare only talking of the bowl out which is after the Scotland-India match.

If Pakistan had won the bowl out, India would have been below Pakistan but above Scotland in the points table.

Wouldn't that make them D2 and Pakistan D1 ?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Points table has nothing to do with the D1 D2 rank, thats what I meant. Pakistan and India were already given the position of D1 and D2 before the tournament, Pakistan could never have become D1 and India couldn't have become D2, while if Scotland had eliminated one of the teams it would have taken its position.

So fans can buy tickets to their teams matches pre tournament.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Pakistan are D1 and India D2 regardless of the results. Pakistan will be in the same group as Australia, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Pakistan are D1 and India D2 regardless of the results. Pakistan will be in the same group as Australia, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Thats makes one wonder as to why the tamasha of bowl out was carried out at all?? I mean, both team had already qualified for next round and they weren't even carrying point with them to the next round!! Even in football, penalty shootouts are carried out at knockout stages and NOT in pool matches.

If India do meet Paistan again in this tour (unlikely) they will have a psychological advantage over them thanks to the crazy bowl outs, but i hope if they meet again the match end in the field with an Indian win!

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Thats makes one wonder as to why the tamasha of bowl out was carried out at all?? I mean, both team had already qualified for next round and they weren't even carrying point with them to the next round!! Even in football, penalty shootouts are carried out at knockout stages and NOT in pool matches.

If India do meet Paistan again in this tour (unlikely) they will have a psychological advantage over them thanks to the crazy bowl outs, but i hope if they meet again the match end in the field with an Indian win!
Totally agree - but the ICC are a bunch of idiots. The bowl out was a fair old waste of time, especially as the Super 8 groups were decided regardless of posistion (another difference betwen cricket and football) Good ides for a tied SF (I bet Klusner and Donald would have loved one in 1999:laugh: ) but for a group match what was the point?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh. I didnt know that. What would have happened if

a) Scotland had come in with India. Who would have been D1 and who D2 ? and

b) Scotland had come in with Pakistan ?​

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh. I didnt know that. What would have happened if

a) Scotland had come in with India. Who would have been D1 and who D2 ? and

b) Scotland had come in with Pakistan ?​
The entire point of the pre-configured rankings was the ability to sell tickets to likely matches. So regardless of who won the India v Pakistan match, matches involving D1 would be Pakistan games and matches involving D2 would be India games unless Scotland did something remarkable. It's far easier to sell tickets to matches that way. The same thing was done at the ODI World Cup, but no-one went to the games so tickets were easy to get anyway. :p

Hence, in answer to your questions:

a) Scotland D1, India D2.
b) Pakistan D1, Scotland D2.