• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On the plus side, there's still hope for me if a guy with the same number of assists and goals in this season's Premier League gets an England call up.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First two games?

Hart

Johnson
Terry
Lescott
Cole

Walcott
Gerrard
Parker
Young

Wellbeck
Carroll

??
It's going to look like that I'm afraid, Roy only does 4-4-2, and he's not picking Terry for his general positive affect on the squad. There's only 3 strikers, and he can't pick Defoe from the start, how many games did he start last year?

The only slight difference maybe Jones for Johnson, or Cahill for Lescott.

It's pointless me saying what I'd pick as three of my starters won't be there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gerrard as captain so he definitely starts, Lampard on the bench you'd hope then as wherever you stand on their relative merits I think we all agree they shouldn't play together

grecian

Gerrard as captain so he definitely starts, Lampard on the bench you'd hope then as wherever you stand on their relative merits I think we all agree they shouldn't play together
Generally takes each England manager a fair few games to work this out. One of the main reasons I didn't want Capello out, as he had seen the light.

I think it has been suggested that Gerrard could play closer to the one striker, but it'll be madness if they do that, has lost pace and would just be lost in the game.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Irritating beyond belief that the press and fans are all getting in a tiff because Rio (fairly IMO) isn't in the squad when there are other more pressing issues.

I mean Downing?

Scaly piscine

Irritating beyond belief that the press and fans are all getting in a tiff because Rio (fairly IMO) isn't in the squad when there are other more pressing issues.

I mean Downing?
That's not how you spell Walcott. How the **** Adam Johnson isn't in the squad AGAIN pisses me off no end. He's a class above Milner and Downing, then there's Walcott. Give it a week mind and half the squad will have pulled out anyway, but still.

Oh and not happy about the old guard still being there either. Parker should be captain and Gerrard should be lucky to get in the side. Terry is just complete **** obviously.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Johnson isn't in the squad because he's done **** all all season - maybe better than Downing but Milner? **** off!

Personally I'd have taken out Richards (instead of Jones), Sturridge (Downing), Jagielka (Oxlade-Chamberlain) and Crouch (Welbeck)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So, are you seriously suggesting that Henderson should have been picked over Carrick as standby?

Anyways, i wouldn't have probably picked Jones unless he wants him to be a utitlity back up. And leaving Rio out is justifiable alone because he isn't the same he used to be and has had dodgy moments, but not because you want to Pick Terry ahead of him in a 1 vs 1.

Downing, Waclott etc.. are some other problems which have nothing to do with United.

Pothas

It's going to look like that I'm afraid, Roy only does 4-4-2, and he's not picking Terry for his general positive affect on the squad. There's only 3 strikers, and he can't pick Defoe from the start, how many games did he start last year?

The only slight difference maybe Jones for Johnson, or Cahill for Lescott.

It's pointless me saying what I'd pick as three of my starters won't be there.
Yeah its a likely lineup although would be a little bit surprised if he want with Young and Walcott in a 4 man midfield, think he might put Milner or someone on the left.

You are right that Terry is going to play which is utterly depressing.

It is such a mediocre looking squad but it was always going to be really especially when a fair few of the younger players that may have gone are injured anyway.

grecian

Not sure about the Walcott-hate, he's not great but in terms of creating and scoring, he pisses over most other options except Young, and he can play up-front, where we're really struggling for bodies.

I think Brumbers said, and I agree, that Ox is actually the most similar player to Rooney we have, so makes sense he should go, also gives us that unknown factor, which generally is our only hope of looking decent in these things. Owen, Rooney, gazza all came into tournaments relative unknowns and gave us some mis-placed hope.

Obviously Downing has to go down as one of the worst picks ever.

Pothas

Yeah got no issue with Walcott, he has a tendency to look terrible but he has had a pretty productive season.

social

This is the first time in my lifetime that I have looked at an England squad and genuinely thought that the country lacks footballing talent

Given that, they'll probably win

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Must have somehow missed Downing when I read the team earlier. Cannot fathom why he's been picked, really am surprised. Richards being left out is a strange one as well, but largely not bothered by the rest of it. Would obviously rather Terry wasn't in there as well.

No problems with Walcott going. Obviously not a fantastic player, but has some spark about him, and I'd be interested to see how many other English players managed more goals/assists than he did last season. In any case, he's genuinely quick, and the team hardly has any other players who have any pace whatsoever.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Downing just go an entire league season with no goals or assists? Maybe he's picked him for comic relief.

Richards, Carrick and Lennon the notable absentees here for mine- I'd quite possibly have all of them in my first XI. Obviously they're a bit low on talent at the moment, but even so, he's done a pretty crap job.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Downing just go an entire league season with no goals or assists? Maybe he's picked him for comic relief.

Richards, Carrick and Lennon the notable absentees here for mine- I'd quite possibly have all of them in my first XI. Obviously they're a bit low on talent at the moment, but even so, he's done a pretty crap job.
Dunno if he cracks many jokes. The Steven Smith of the England squad?

Not happy with the lack of Richards either. Have no faith in Glenno whatsoever, and Micah's always done a decent job when he's actually played. Can only assume Jagielka is injured/dead because he's been solid for a while now. And dissapp'd at the lack of Sturridge also; how much has Defoe even played this season? Don't understand Roy's logic at giving older, proven international cup failures 'another chance'. They've done **** before for a reason.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbf to Defoe (and I don't really rate him either), he's only bettered his Premiership goalscoring record for this season on two previous occasions. Once in 04/05 and once in 09/10. He's not going to set the world alight, but at least you know what you're getting with him. It's not like there are a line of decent alternatives lining up to take his spot either.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Downing's a lolbad decision. Can only assume him being a left-footer has got him the gig.

No issue with Lennon being left out; unnecessary pick with Theo in the squad. Wouldn't have carped unduly if Lennon had being picked ahead of Walcott, but having both is pointless as they're pretty much the same player.

Terry is a crap call too. Even leaving aside the fact picking a bloke with a charge of racism hanging over him being a questionable decision at best, he's just not very good anymore. Whatever pace he had has long since gone and he's constantly exposed. Jagielka has been royally stiffed.

& Henderson on stand by?Jesus...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm hoping the old guard being picked is a one shot deal for this tournament and he plans on a bit of a shake-up for the WC quals as he doesn't have much time to impose himself for this tournament. For example while I personally feel Gerrard should have been made captain as soon as Beckham stepped down but I wouldn't retain him in the role once the Euros are done. Give it to Hart or even Wilshire after that and start actually building a team.

Of course that goes out the window if we do well so it will be interesting.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Personally I'd like to offer respect to the huge individual effort it takes to miss three penalties and fail to score with 72 shots on target; a feat that can only be achieved by the invincible Stewart Downing.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Dead set piss take of a squad IMO, an almost embarrassing amount of dross. Terry's inclusion over Rio is joke enough but the omissions of Carrick, Richards and Jagielka, and the inclusion in of Downing, beggar belief. I've not always been Carrick's strongest advocate but he was the best English midfielder in the Premier League this season, and by some distance in my opinion. I reckon Sturridge can count himself pretty unlucky as well.