• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Didn't Gazza smash up Hoddle's hotel room after finding out that he wasn't picked as well?
Yep.

Pretty sure he was photographed stuffing a donner kebab into his gob after going out on the lash with Five Bellies and Chris Evans a couple of days before Hoddle was due to announce his squad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yep.

Pretty sure he was photographed stuffing a donner kebab into his gob after going out on the lash with Five Bellies and Chris Evans a couple of days before Hoddle was due to announce his squad.
Chicken kebab, tbh. The devil's in the detail and all that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was playing okay in the friendlies before the squad announcement. Massive shock at the time.

Pretty much hastened his decline to the sad figure he cuts now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty sure he was at Boro by then too.

Massive waste of talent, but still think I'd have found space in the squad for him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not saying you're wrong but Boro were in what's now the Championship that season and he never played against us

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh don't get me started on Gazza, the man should have been our Maradona, what a waste that a talent such as him should have been put into such a grade A waster :(

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hasn't got two brain cells to rub together, but I do feel pretty sorry for him these days. You can see that he loved what he did, and that Football really was (and appears to still be) his life.

Apparently in his last year as Newcastle manager, Bobby Robson received a call from Gazza, who assured him that he could still do a job on the left wing for him. Not sure whether that's funny or just plain sad.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funniest moment of the year last night. Went to bowls and one of my teammates admitted to switching his tv off as he was scared it would blow up because of the thunder storm in the France match. What a dipstick.:laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty sure he was at Boro by then too.

Massive waste of talent, but still think I'd have found space in the squad for him.
He was. We'd punted him because after his injury in January 1997 at the Amsterdam tournament he'd spent the best part of 14 months doing sweet **** all about getting fit and performing. Laudrup carried us over the line in 1996/97 whilst Gascoigne just became more and more of a liability.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was even sadder seeing him at Everton, the odd brilliant moment among lots of mediocrity and you were left thinking what might have been.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He was. We'd punted him because after his injury in January 1997 at the Amsterdam tournament he'd spent the best part of 14 months doing sweet **** all about getting fit and performing. Laudrup carried us over the line in 1996/97 whilst Gascoigne just became more and more of a liability.
Looked it up after reading this post and he joined Boro in March, by which point we had already been beaten by them twice,

Think I did see him at PP twice, once for Boro in the League Cup and once in a friendly for the blue****e.

grecian

Everton played a friendly down here, and me and my mate walked out 10 minutes after gascoine came on, people around us were saying things like " how could you, he's brilliant", but we'd seen him play in his prime and this was just silly in comparison.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Looked it up after reading this post and he joined Boro in March, by which point we had already been beaten by them twice,

Think I did see him at PP twice, once for Boro in the League Cup and once in a friendly for the blue****e.
Yep, joined Middlesborough in March 98.

It's bad enough arguing with muppets that we erred in selling him in the run in to the failed Ten, never mind arguing that he shouldn't have gone to France 98.

grecian

Yep, joined Middlesborough in March 98.

It's bad enough arguing with muppets that we erred in selling him in the run in to the failed Ten, never mind arguing that he shouldn't have gone to France 98.
Well, hi, am I man or a muppet?

He should have gone as an impact sub, he was however a waste for any club by then, as his alcolism was not going to allow him to play more than acameo role, which may have helped in'98.

Scaly piscine

Ugh. Maybe Young will stop doing his party trick of getting the ball, pondering, trying to dribble past 2-3 players and falling over hoping for the referee to come to the rescue.

grecian

Ugh. Maybe Young will stop doing his party trick of getting the ball, pondering, trying to dribble past 2-3 players and falling over hoping for the referee to come to the rescue.
Hey it works when he play for Man U, they just blow the whistle then.