• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And we were indeed poor, even allowing for Kane, Toney and Palmer missing easy chances. I think the English supporters need to hold hands and pray that Bellingham stays fit and available for the whole tournament, because Foden isn't fit to lace his boots in that position. Not for England, anyway. Granted City is probably a different story, but he's surrounded by better players there..

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
And we were indeed poor, even allowing for Kane, Toney and Palmer missing easy chances. I think the English supporters need to hold hands and pray that Bellingham stays fit and available for the whole tournament, because Foden isn't fit to lace his boots in that position. Not for England, anyway. Granted City is probably a different story, but he's surrounded by better players there..
I don't think there's a massive difference, he just had an off game, it happens. Still not sure why he played Foden there instead of Palmer who seems the natural fit anyway. England barely put a tackle in all night and were clearly trying to avoid injuries, understandably.

Starting to think a really interesting player in this tournament could be Wharton as the partner for Rice, just seems the perfect fit now for that position if Southgate is brave enough. Mainoo and Rice looked wrong, whilst I don't think TAA should be a starter there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's a massive difference, he just had an off game, it happens. Still not sure why he played Foden there instead of Palmer who seems the natural fit anyway. England barely put a tackle in all night and were clearly trying to avoid injuries, understandably.

Starting to think a really interesting player in this tournament could be Wharton as the partner for Rice, just seems the perfect fit now for that position if Southgate is brave enough. Mainoo and Rice looked wrong, whilst I don't think TAA should be a starter there.
I think that's a fair comment about avoiding tackles a week before the tournament. Especially as Iceland were pretty physical at times. Not unreasonably so, but there was a noticeable difference. I remember wishing that Saka hadn't been brought on when he was clattered a couple of times.

Wharton's an interesting one. He's been gaining rave reviews for his performances for Palace, but he's barely played at this level. The smart money in the post-match articles seemed to be on Gallagher coming back instead of Mainoo, who barely featured in Friday's game.

As for Foden, I just wanted someone in his position to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, so to speak, and impose himself on proceedings when his side was struggling. I've already seen Bellingham do that for England, and previously guys like Robson, Gascoigne, and even Beckham on occasions. I don't think that's quite in Foden's skill-set as yet, despite the calls to play more centrally for the national side. The FA Cup Final was another instance of same. Obviously I'd pick him though, and, without Grealish and Rashford, the alternatives on the left of the front three aren't in Foden's league.