• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Northern Ireland

Which teams will qualify from this pool?

• Ukraine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Northern Ireland

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I never cheer for Wales or Scotland, and the Republic I only did when Aldo was playing, but can't help but root for Norn Iron here

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm actually slightly emotional given I've never had the chance to see Northern Ireland at a major finals and it's 20 years and counting since I've seen Scotland win at a major tournament. Christ knows how the real Ulsterman on this board feels instead of the plastic 3rd generation Scot :D

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah was incredible, could hear everyone celebrating outside my house like we'd won the thing. Such a performance too, rock solid and the extra goal could be the difference that gets us through.

flibbertyjibber

I'm actually slightly emotional given I've never had the chance to see Northern Ireland at a major finals and it's 20 years and counting since I've seen Scotland win at a major tournament. Christ knows how the real Ulsterman on this board feels instead of the plastic 3rd generation Scot :D
How old are you then?

I remember them at Mexico 86 though despite going to a game in Spain 82 I can't remember anything about them in that tournament.

Uppercut

Hahaha aww man that's rough.

Not sure what we want here, but I think the ideal result is an extremely heavy victory for Germany.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah Germany win in the hope they take their eye off the ball and rest some players for the last round of games.

Is it goal difference or head to head that separates teams who finish level on points? And how does the 3rd place table work out?

Uppercut

Yeah Germany win in the hope they take their eye off the ball and rest some players for the last round of games.

Is it goal difference or head to head that separates teams who finish level on points? And how does the 3rd place table work out?
Just checked and it's head-to-head. So I think if Ukraine beat Poland by either one or two goals next week we go through, assuming Poland lose tonight.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How would it work if 3 teams finish on either 6 or 3 points?

edit: 3 way tie on 6 points wouldn't really matter as all 3 teams would almost certainly go through in that scenario.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Goal difference

And straight up, points then GD etc to rank the thirds

Edit - ignore me on the first point completely misread it. Checked it after UC posted it

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How would it work if 3 teams finish on either 6 or 3 points?

edit: 3 way tie on 6 points wouldn't really matter as all 3 teams would almost certainly go through in that scenario.
When three are level on points they remove the result for each against the side in 4th to determine it.

In WC94 there was one group with three teams on 6, and another with all four on 4

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So a couple of other scenarios that could come in handy:

Romania and Albania draw - Romania would finish 3rd witg 2 points.

Sweden and the Republic lose their 2 games against Belgium and Italy, or draw one and lose one - one of them finishes third with at best 2 points.

Both those scenarios would allow Northern Ireland to qualify regardless of their result against Germany as long as Poland don't lose to Ukraine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
One of the things I don't like about four third place sides going through is it gives an advantage of sorts to the groups playing later on. Maybe.

But really finishing third out of four and going through just seems a bit ****. But I'd have taken it for England at half time today so :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One of the things I don't like about four third place sides going through is it gives an advantage of sorts to the groups playing later on. Maybe.

But really finishing third out of four and going through just seems a bit ****. But I'd have taken it for England at half time today so :ph34r:
Worked alright for England at Italia 90 didn't it?