• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just flicked over to see a replay of the penalty, looks like a shocking call. Ivory Coast cursed with never getting out of the group stage it seems.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
:laugh: Yes Greece! That was great.

Though I am sad that we don't get to see more of this Ivory Coast keeper called Barry.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, definite pen for mine. Samaras' standing leg clearly taken out.
There was at least a foot of space between the defender and Samaras' standing leg. The leg he was kicking with clipped the defender on the way through and Samaras overbalanced and kicked his own heel. The defender didn't initiate the contact at all. Whether it was a legit penalty or not, his standing leg definitely wasn't taken out.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe "taken out" was not the right turn of phrase, but there was definite contact there and it definitely impeded him for mine. It might not have been a stonewaller of a pen, but it was definitely fair enough in my eyes.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah there was contact, it was just on the leg he was taking the shot with. Looks a better call on the replays I've seen now than at first glance. First thought was that Samaras just tripped himself because there was no contact at all on the standing leg until he kicked his own heel.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's like saying it's not a foul when you've tripped someone because you just planted your foot in front of where the player is running, and it's his running that initiates the contact. It was 100% a penalty. There's no debate.

And that enormous choke from Ivory Coast has granted us a second round Costa Rica-Greece match that puts the WC in serious danger of jumping the shark.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Managed to get perfect position in the pub to watch both second halves.

Samaras is one of the funniest players ever.

Colombia are class, hope they destroy Uruguay.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
James busted the game open when he came on. In magical form. Also hope they destroy URgay.