• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ripper868

International Coach
part of me is happy it's now not going to be on yellow cards. Goal difference is brutal, but it's unfortunately the fairest way.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poland have been so uninspiring all tournament , hopefully they go out next game.
Most boring team in the tournament.

This World Cup has been a good example of why you don't need more European teams. Poland incredibly dull, Wales and Denmark have been dreadful and Switzerland are Switzerland.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

This World Cup has been a good example of why you don't need more European teams. Poland incredibly dull, Wales and Denmark have been dreadful and Switzerland are Switzerland.
TBF I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine (say) Italy or Sweden adding more value than Qatar.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Has also been a great advert for why 48 teams will be a pile of ****e.

24 was the sweet spot but it makes for a crap format.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has also been a great advert for why 48 teams will be a pile of ****e.

24 was the sweet spot but it makes for a crap format.
I think 32 is fine, just get peaks and troughs depending on who qualifies. Best format and not usually too many plodders.

With 48 I’d rather they went for the 24 format, ie 12 groups with 32 advancing to knockouts, instead of the utter sabotage that is the 3 team groups. Literally ruining the World Cup ffs

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
part of me is happy it's now not going to be on yellow cards. Goal difference is brutal, but it's unfortunately the fairest way.
Tbh in a 4 team group I don’t think GD is brutal. It’s a reasonable separator. I think in reality here though Mexico have gone out because of bookings; Saudi goal doesn’t happen but for it.

Pothas

I think 32 is fine, just get peaks and troughs depending on who qualifies. Best format and not usually too many plodders.

With 48 I’d rather they went for the 24 format, ie 12 groups with 32 advancing to knockouts, instead of the utter sabotage that is the 3 team groups. Literally ruining the World Cup ffs
Yeah it works absolutely fine at the moment. 32 gives enough space that you usually get a debut or to and the format is perfect.

48 is just going to be horrendous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Italy yes. Sweden absolutely not.

Although Qatar is obviously a special case.
Who qualified ahead of Italy? I can’t remember and cbf to look it up

Always going to be quirks. As poor as we were at times in 94 qualifying we’d have been better than a fair few European sides at the tournament. Indeed we beat Greece 5-0 in the lead up (granted under new management) and for my money were a better side than Ireland at the time, though they wound up going through ahead of Norway (on goals scored mind you) who had kept us at home, comfortably.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Who qualified ahead of Italy? I can’t remember and cbf to look it up

Always going to be quirks. As poor as we were at times in 94 qualifying we’d have been better than a fair few European sides at the tournament. Indeed we beat Greece 5-0 in the lead up (granted under new management) and for my money were a better side than Ireland at the time, though they wound up going through ahead of Norway (on goals scored mind you) who had kept us at home, comfortably.
Switzerland.

And North Macedonia beat them in the playoffs.

Pothas

Absolutely love Italy at the World Cup. Doesn't matter if they are terrible and go out in the group stage or win the whole thing, just something gloriously melodramatic about them.