• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If South Africa show up with the same side they have in Sri Lanka, minus Gibbs and Boje even, then I can't see them going through at the expense of New Zealand or Pakistan.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
NZ to win this group, This is a team who may not be the best on paper but has some people who can do some special things (McCullum,Vettori,Bond)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I expect an early exit for South Africa given their general decline in form over the opast year , and I will be hoping that NZ and Pakistan can do the business for SA at the Champions Trophy. :cool:

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
gunner said:
if razzaq and sami play vs nz then pak will win
Why on earth would you want Sami to play when you have Rana, Shoaib and Asif ?!!

Pakistan and New Zealand to go through if Gibbs doesn't play. If he does I think SA will have a much better chance as with him and Smith on flat tracks they can really go after the NZ medium pace attack on flat Indian wickets

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
gunner said:
if razzaq and sami play vs nz then pak will win
Sami= Joke of international cricket, all praise to Pak cricket team and PCB for providing us with merry moments.

I long to see Sehwag take on Sami, the way Veeru toys with Pak superstar is a sight to watch.

RolledOver said:
Sami= Joke of international cricket, all praise to Pak cricket team and PCB for providing us with merry moments.
Yes,but he's not a bigger joke than India's legendary fast bowlers Ajit Agarkar,Zaheer Khan & others.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I think SA will certainly going to make it, the other team can be either NZ or Pak, NZ probably has a better chance of making it especially if Inzi is leading Pak side.However if Younis leads Pak side then Pak might just edge past NZ.

Only problem would be that without Inzi Pak batting would be rather too weak, Younis though would skip the side 10 times better than sluggish Inzi

James

Cricket Web Owner
As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think New Zealand will go through.

South Africa are our boggy team, and Pakistan in almost home conditions will be too strong for us.

I'd love to be proven wrong!

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
NZ Qualifies for sure

Hi Guys,

NZ Qualifies along with PAK . NZ will throunce SAF like they have beaten SAF in WC2003.Fleming will score again vs SAF.

NZ, PAK go through to next round

:happy:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd think that Sri Lanka would qualify but the major question is, can they qualify above the West Indies? That will decide what pool they are in if I understand correctly, so if they are the top qualifier they are in Group A and if they are the 2nd ranked qualifier they are in Group B. I think NZ will be able to progress through with wins over South Africa and the 2nd Qualifier (probably Sri Lanka) but I think Pakistan might beat them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why is Hamish Marshall in the team?

Poor record over all in List A, poor record in last 20 One day internationals. Apparently it is because of a good season in England?

His record is poor there as well:

Gloucestershire 12 12 2 322 105* 32.20 1 1 9

Perm

Hamish Marshall is in the team because he is a favourite of John Bracewell's. No he is actually a reasonably handy ODI player, considering that he saves around 15-20 runs in the field. Besides a ODI average of 30 is alright for a New Zealand middle order batsman, he can usually be quite effective during the middle of an innings at keeping the scoreboard ticking over with his lightning quick running between the wickets.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well I wouldn't call him a good one day player at all. His List A average at 27.73 is worse. ODI's, last 20 matches have been horrendous. The current average of 30 is also largely because of almost 16% not outs. Strike rate at 70 is poor as well.

Fielding - it is important in one day cricket but surely you can't take a player who is not a good enough batsman just because of his fielding.

Perm

Gotta remember this is the New Zealand team, we don't have a huge number of talented batsmen. Like I said before, Marshall is an ok player, but he is also a favourite of John Bracewell's.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Perm said:
Gotta remember this is the New Zealand team, we don't have a huge number of talented batsmen. Like I said before, Marshall is an ok player, but he is also a favourite of John Bracewell's.
Some one was dropped and maybe he could have been persisted with or some one else could still have been tried. Now would have been the right time to try I would imagine as else it could become too late.

It does seem a Bracewell thing like you mention.