• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell regrets fallout with Tendulkar

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India news: Greg Chappell regrets fallout with Tendulkar | India Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Chappell has also admitted that he was at times abrupt in his dealings with some of the players. "Once in South Africa, I called in Sachin and Sehwag to ask more of them, I could tell by the look on their faces that they were affronted. Later [Rahul] Dravid, who was in the room, said, 'Greg, they've never been spoken to like that before'."
ITSTL
"A glimpse of them was a life-changing event... We were playing an unrelenting amount of cricket to satisfy the demand, at least 50% more than Australia were playing and the pressure was beyond belief.

"Nobody was carrying that pressure more than Sachin. Not even Don Bradman carried expectations like this, and Sachin had been bearing it since 1989.

"When the team travelled, he would snap on his headphones, not look sideways, and shut it all out. There was a constant frenzy trying to get in at him. The energy it would have taken for him to let that kind of excitement in would have drained him dry."

Chappell said he had encouraged Tendulkar to take a day off from training but Tendulkar said that was not a feasible option given the fans' expectations of him. "If he didn't train and then performed badly, he'd have been blamed. People would notice. And there was no relief for him going out onto the streets, either. He just couldn't get any rest."

"The wages for me, Ian Frazer and other support staff were sometimes paid months late. I saw it more as back channel attempts to make life uncomfortable and push towards throwing it in. Things improved markedly under the [Sharad] Pawar regime."
lolbcci.

For anyone who has the book already - what does he say about his recent stint in Australia?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Interesting to note that John Wright said that even though he didn't have a contract, his wages were always paid right on time. Interesting to note the difference in how that BCCI regime treated the two coaches.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Chappell has also admitted that he was at times abrupt in his dealings with some of the players. "Once in South Africa, I called in Sachin and Sehwag to ask more of them, I could tell by the look on their faces that they were affronted. Later [Rahul] Dravid, who was in the room, said, 'Greg, they've never been spoken to like that before'."
Probably the most interesting part for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup me too - he prefaces it saying it wasn't the difference in culture, but that line shows that it was probably indeed the culture.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He made many big comments about Ganguly too in his book. Probably deserved a thread more than Sachin.:p

Though, i guess Ganguly vs Chappell is more handbags at dawn.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to note that John Wright said that even though he didn't have a contract, his wages were always paid right on time. Interesting to note the difference in how that BCCI regime treated the two coaches.
As if you can believe everything Greg Chappell would say in his book after the falling out he had in India. Don't think he was liked by anyone at the end of his term and almost made fun of in the public, and that too after the initial support he got when he started his term.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good on Chappell for taken some of the blame for the fall-out, but strewth, to hear 'they'd never been spoken to like that before'?.....sounds like some of those senior players need to take some of the blame for being a touch precious & sensitive tbh. They're international cricketers, not gods, in spite of what some of their fans think. Imagine if players from the All Blacks sulked when the coach was a touch aggressive around his expectations of them...It'd be out the door.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a different culture. I does not mean that they cannot be criticized, but the type of criticism and motivation that works in the NFL (a head coach telling one of his players to start a fight to fire everyone up) does not necessarily work in another culture.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Was probably the way he spoke tbh, wanting to be a power freak and control everybody absolutely. And could be exaggerating it also.

From what i can guess, they would have been spoken like harshly in their younger or domestic days, but not in their older days after they got established and wouldn't be used to someone coming in and then all of a sudden tr. Hence, why someone like Kirsten who was friendly with them worked way way way better with India, than Greg Chappell.

They both would have wanted more from the players at different intervals and in different situations, but Kirsten probably put his arm around them and told them "This is what you are doing wrong, and i expect better" while Greg Chappell would have sat on his desk summoned them and then tried to boss them around and give them a scolding. And that is precisely the reason why he more or less fell out with everybody, while Gary Kirsten was mates with everybody and loved by everybody in the team, who constantly praised him.

Player Management is a important part of coaching and you need to get your message across the way it would be received and effectively, rather than just the way you want too. Even Sir Alex Ferguson in recent times has admitted, that in this day and age with the money and fame involved the way to get message across has changed from the old days of giving people rollickings and he has a lot more power to do so than a Indian coach, with his standing.(Not too mention they are all disciplined and well behaved unlike Footballers). Greg Chappell never got used to the culture of the Indian team or India in general tbh, and just wanted to impose himself and hence was a failure. Probably something similar happened in Australia too.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is easy to be critical of one side or the other and to try and simplify things by talking of cultural differences or just blaming the person in the corner opposite the one you have painted yourself in. Indian fans and media have done something in the case of Greg Chappell.

The problems that culminated with the end of Greg's term as india's coach are many and varied - and the fault does not lie with one side.

It is sad that this was the case for I still believe that given different circumstances and better appreciation of what was needed, what the coach's assignment and powers could/should be, better appreciation of the personalities and sensibilities of both sides, a sense of partnership in the process undertaken by the people concerned instead of the adversarial roles taken up and compounded by the inevitable (and mostly damaging) trial by media and in public, Greg could have been one of the better things to happen to Indian cricket.

There were many things wrong with Indian cricket and still are. I believe that Greg Chappell had a very good appreciation of what they were and was very sincere in his efforts to introduce corrective measures. That he went about it in the wrong way is the easier way to put it. The fact that it did not work and things went so horribly wrong makes it clear that something was wrong but it wasn't so simple so as to allow us to put the entire blame on a single individual or even a set of individuals. It is more complex and people made mistakes on all sides involved, none showed the largeness of heart to be able to realise that taking affront was not the need of the hour and that both sides had nothing but the interest of Indian cricket at heart so lets sit down and listen to each other with an open mind and a willingness to accept. At least Chappell has today, even though very late in the day, accepted, and in public, what he did wrong and needed to do differently. One hasn't heard a pip of a similar hue from the other side and I doubt if we will.

People talk so much about how different Wright was from Chappell and how the system could not have been so bad if Wright could manage. Read Wright's book and you will see how, in his own way, he tells you all that is wrong with Indian cricket and how there was much he couldn't do anything about. It is just that he realised that there wasn't much he could do about it. Chappell did not. He believed it when he was told that he was the boss and was a much bigger and stronger personality who wanted to do a 'complete' job as he thought right.

This is not to say that Chappell was right but it also does not mean he was wrong.

The power structure, and I do not mean the official organisation structure of the BCCI, within Indian cricket is very complex and this invariably lends itself to political machinations. This needs correction. That is not the job of a coach but if he comes from a system where the stucture is sharper and clearer and he is likely to go about doing what he thinks he ought to do. The fact that he fails to work within the nuances of the complex 'informal power structures' that exist in the Indian (and Pakistani) cricket set ups is not his fault but that of the bosses of the board and/or their lack of sincere commitment to set the house in order.

The power lies with the board and its 'honorary officials', it lies with senior cricketers, it lies with former cricketers with vested interests in the running of the game, it lies with sponsors and it lies with the media.

Where are you going to find a coach to manage so many 'bosses'? It is much better to be pliable and go along the flow. Then, if you are lucky, as an Indian coach in the last decade and a half must count himself to be, the talent of the team will produce good results and you will get the residual credit after all others have been given theirs. But if you do not go along then look out !!!

Zinzan

^ Fine post, precisely my point really, only more articulate & succinctly put :p

Zinzan

It's a different culture. I does not mean that they cannot be criticized, but the type of criticism and motivation that works in the NFL (a head coach telling one of his players to start a fight to fire everyone up) does not necessarily work in another culture.
I understand the analogy with rugby in NZ isn't the perfect parallel & I don't claim to know the true 'goings-on' under Chappell's rein, but one gets the impression it was a two-sided thing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I understand the analogy with rugby in NZ isn't the perfect parallel & I don't claim to know the true 'goings-on' under Chappell's rein, but one gets the impression it was a two-sided thing.
I am not disagreeing with anything SJS has said, nor am I claiming that Ganguly or anyone else was at all blameless or even that Chappell was more to blame than the players - I was merely speaking to that one specific incident that was mentioned that you criticized the players on.

The problems with the Indian cricket do not really lie with the national team, it is much more fundamental than that.

Zinzan

Was probably the way he spoke tbh, wanting to be a power freak and control everybody absolutely. And could be exaggerating it also.

From what i can guess, they would have been spoken like harshly in their younger or domestic days, but not in their older days after they got established and wouldn't be used to someone coming in and then all of a sudden tr. Hence, why someone like Kirsten who was friendly with them worked way way way better with India, than Greg Chappell.

They both would have wanted more from the players at different intervals and in different situations, but Kirsten probably put his arm around them and told them "This is what you are doing wrong, and i expect better" while Greg Chappell would have sat on his desk summoned them and then tried to boss them around and give them a scolding. And that is precisely the reason why he more or less fell out with everybody, while Gary Kirsten was mates with everybody and loved by everybody in the team, who constantly praised him.

Player Management is a important part of coaching and you need to get your message across the way it would be received and effectively, rather than just the way you want too. Even Sir Alex Ferguson in recent times has admitted, that in this day and age with the money and fame involved the way to get message across has changed from the old days of giving people rollickings and he has a lot more power to do so than a Indian coach, with his standing.(Not too mention they are all disciplined and well behaved unlike Footballers). Greg Chappell never got used to the culture of the Indian team or India in general tbh, and just wanted to impose himself and hence was a failure. Probably something similar happened in Australia too.

Again agree with most of that. Certainly agree that there's more onus on a new coach coming in to adapt to & understand the existing culture first before laying down a new law. It's just that comment from Dravid gives the awful impression that a couple of personalities were bigger than the team & that's wrong IMO.
This was illustrated when Chappell alluded to the fact he had to split the team into 3 groups for meetings because none of the junior players would speak up around the seniors, so you can see what he was trying to do and change, it's just he obviously went the wrong way about it. I believe the culture under Dhoni has much more of a democratic feel to it.

shankar

International Debutant
It is more complex and people made mistakes on all sides involved, none showed the largeness of heart to be able to realise that taking affront was not the need of the hour and that both sides had nothing but the interest of Indian cricket at heart so lets sit down and listen to each other with an open mind and a willingness to accept.
A worse incident between Sehwag and Wright. But, it was handled by all parties in exactly the manner you mentioned above by all parties and Wright went on to have a very successful stint with India.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, how would you explain Gary Kirsten being a big success with India then? And also Greg Chappell being a failure in Australia in a system which he was accustomed too?

Also the picture you are presenting is actually 10 years at least outdated. With the scrutiny of the media ever increasing, Sports ministry and other sports bodies viewing Cricket with some envy, and also a more stable adminstration and more money/accountabilty with it etc.., politicking as far as the main Indian team and it's operations are concerned has certainly decreased and there is a lot more Professionalism than before. The so called player or ex player control is overrated too.

When Chappell came in he was given full control and also Ganguly was dropped , with most former players and the media supporting his young players coming to the fore stand. But then, he went and pretty much fell out with everybody including Kumble,Sehwag,Yuvraj and Sachin of all people who has never really had a fallout with anyone. Also Dravid who he thought would be his dummy captain and the younger players who he backed weren't that keen on him, either. Then his silly decisions some times (like batting Sachin in the middle order in ODI's), Strange comments, Showing middle fingers to the fans never helped either and alienated some ex-players and also the fans who turned on him.
This then gave Ganguly the room, to garner support and engage in politics or whatever you want to call it to strike back, as then no one was sure whom to back as both were being jerks. BCCI hierachy which was undergoing changes wasn't probably sure either. And till the 2007 world cup came, Chappell had lost support and then the performance and selections there were final nail in the Dravid-Chappell combo's coffin.

He never really understood the culture of the place or the team, and tried to impose himself rather than adapting. Whatever was happening in the board wasn't his concern or at other levels in the game, his job was to manage India and he initially was given and wrestled unprecedented power's for a Indian Coach, but couldn't really utilize them properly under pressure. This turned out to be a positive for Kirsten and Dhoni/Kumble, though after he had gone.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I grok where SRS is coming from but, tbh, ChappellG has never worked well in charge of anything cricket-related anywhere. ****ty captain, ****ty coach, fricken' awesome with a bat in his hands.