• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Green Mambas"

Spark

Global Moderator
and the Nagpur one where Root made his debut. And even the Ranchi one in 2017 tbh.
Ranchi was pretty flat for the first three days, wasn't it? That was a more typical Indian pitch IIRC.

That Nagpur pitch was a bit out of the period I was considering but I was also hoping never to have to think about that thing again. God that was a horrible match to watch. Dhoni being OS'd on 99 the only highlight.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I liked the Nagpur pitch, **** you all
You think matches not having the time to go to a 4th innings despite the first innings scores being under 400 is good now?

Worst pitch I remember seeing was that MCG 2017 one.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, that match was also one where one of the sides actively wanted a draw and did not have any intent of going for the win from ball 1 of the match. It was a perfect storm of flat pitch and team wanting to ensure a draw all coming together in the worst possible way.

Not that England were wrong in wanting the draw though. If India is in a similar position in England later this year, I would be totally ok if we did the same. They did what they had to do to achieve a historic series win. No complaints there.

Spark

Global Moderator
TBF, that match was also one where one of the sides actively wanted a draw and did not have any intent of going for the win from ball 1 of the match. It was a perfect storm of flat pitch and team wanting to ensure a draw all coming together in the worst possible way.

Not that England were wrong in wanting the draw though. If India is in a similar position in England later this year, I would be totally ok if we did the same. They did what they had to do to achieve a historic series win. No complaints there.
It's also not like India did a lot to really advance that game either IIRC. Dhoni and Kohli's partnership frustrated a lot of people here because of how cautiously they were going about it.

I just think that pitch was basically anti-cricket. Hard to score, hard to take wickets on.

cnerd123

likes this
The Nagpur pitch was fun and I think it's perfectly reasonable to have games of cricket where crazy things can happen.

Not advocating for pitches that make Dean Elgar look like Ravi Jadeja to be the norm, but I'm definitely not against it. Back in the days of uncovered pitches you had crazy surfaces all the time, it was still considered cricket. Just because the standards of pitches as a whole have gone up doesn't mean we need to forget what the extremes look like

The Sabina Park pitch where balls spat up from a length against pacers and batsmen were getting injured every over was a bad pitch. That's the sort of stuff you don't want to see. You want all the athletes to be safe. A pitch with a dangeorus runup is bad for the same reason. But if it just takes excessive spin/seam/h00p then it's fine once in a while IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's also not like India did a lot to really advance that game either IIRC. Dhoni and Kohli's partnership frustrated a lot of people here because of how cautiously they were going about it.

I just think that pitch was basically anti-cricket. Hard to score, hard to take wickets on.
Yeah, but we all know MSD will take the defensive option when given the choice. He just did not want to be the captain who lost 3-1 at home. :laugh:

But you are right. It was basically a game where neither side wanted to risk anything and the pitch was dead. Made for worst cricket watching.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I don't remember half the games we've had in India these last ten years tbh and that despite watching every one of them. I know the last home series vs Aus was nerve-wracking, but otherwise....not sure if that's a function of the nondescript nature of our pitches or my degenerating memory.

Spark

Global Moderator
The Nagpur pitch was fun and I think it's perfectly reasonable to have games of cricket where crazy things can happen.

Not advocating for pitches that make Dean Elgar look like Ravi Jadeja to be the norm, but I'm definitely not against it. Back in the days of uncovered pitches you had crazy surfaces all the time, it was still considered cricket. Just because the standards of pitches as a whole have gone up doesn't mean we need to forget what the extremes look like

The Sabina Park pitch where balls spat up from a length against pacers and batsmen were getting injured every over was a bad pitch. That's the sort of stuff you don't want to see. You want all the athletes to be safe. A pitch with a dangeorus runup is bad for the same reason. But if it just takes excessive spin/seam/h00p then it's fine once in a while IMO.
"games of cricket where crazy things can happen" was basically the opposite of that Nagpur pitch though

trundler

Cull dangerous wickets with uneven bounce on day 1 as well as roads that do nothing on day 7 and tell the players to git gud imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
yea im thinking of the one that spun a ton, seems like you guys are talking about one that was excessively flat
We mean this one Full Scorecard of England vs India 4th Test 2012/13 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

I don't even know if "flat" is the word to describe that pitch; flat usually implies good for batting and run-scoring, which that definitely wasn't. It was that rare mix of incredibly hard to get wickets on, but also you could barely get the ball off the square as a batsman.

trundler

Oh god those decks where you can just bowl a 6th stump line for 2 rpo without actually threatening to take a wicket are the worst. Especially if there's a slow outfield.

cnerd123

likes this
We mean this one Full Scorecard of England vs India 4th Test 2012/13 - Score Report | ESPNcricinfo.com

I don't even know if "flat" is the word to describe that pitch; flat usually implies good for batting and run-scoring, which that definitely wasn't. It was that rare mix of incredibly hard to get wickets on, but also you could barely get the ball off the square as a batsman.
slow low and dead.

i don't think that's bad either really. Like, dull to watch sure, and if it's the norm then cricket is gonna die. But like I said earlier I think it's only 'bad' if it poses real unavoidable physical threats to the players. A dead track once in a while is fine. Tests the players' patience, discipline, ability to starve of boredom.

Spark

Global Moderator
slow low and dead.

i don't think that's bad either really. Like, dull to watch sure, and if it's the norm then cricket is gonna die. But like I said earlier I think it's only 'bad' if it poses real unavoidable physical threats to the players. A dead track once in a while is fine. Tests the players' patience, discipline, ability to starve of boredom.
It didn't really do that though either. I think both sides said the game could have gone on for another few days and it still would have been a draw.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
slow low and dead.

Drastically varying bounce is where I draw the line. Spin, seam, everything's fair game, but bounce that belies the batsman's reading off the pitch is a deal-breaker. Physical danger is half of it, but grubbers are a pretty damning indictment too.

trundler

That first SA v SL test was really exciting. Runs came at a really good pace and the ball never stopped doing much. Of course SL had an 8th choice attack there and that was a factor but the less extremely bowler friendly SA pitched are really good to watch cricket on.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
SA doesn't really get draws any more does it? Cape Town used to be a proper snoozefest for a while back in the mid 90s to early 00s, but results galore now.

EDIT: ****, what was I watching. Plenty of results.
1613800264354.png