• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest XI for your County/State

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was bored and wanted to avoid doing some work so tried to make an alll time Hampshire side. This was generally based on performance for the county itself rather than overall reputation. Have not taken into account overseas restrictions, just wanted to get the best side possible.

All time XI

1. Barry Richards 15607 runs @ 50.50
2. Gordon Greenidge 19840 runs @ 45.40
3. Robin Smith 18984 runs @ 42.09
4. Phil Mead 48892!! runs @ 48.84
5. Charles Fry 3829 runs @ 58.90
6. Nic Pothas (wk) 5899 runs @ 44.68
7.Peter Sainsbury 19576 runs @ 27.03, 1245 wickets @ 24.14
8. Shane Warne (c) 2040 runs @ 25.50, 276 wickets @ 25.58
9. Malcolm Marshall 5847 runs @ 25.20, 826 wickets @ 18.64
10.Alex Kennedy 14925 runs @ 18.51, 2549 wickets @ 21.16
11.D. Shackleton 8602 runs @ 14.43, 2669 wickets @ 18.23

12th man. Andy Roberts (really should be in the side averaged 16 for Hampshire)

Pretty good side that with one of the greatest opening parterships of all time and two of the best bowlers of all time.

What is your county or states best side ever?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You really reckon Warne was Hampshire's best ever captain? Loving the fact that you've kept the Warne-Pothas axis going. Opposing batsmen are going to cop some abuse.

EDIT: Now that i look at it, it's only between him and Malcolm Marshall for the captaincy. So fair enough.

Pothas

Hampshire's greatest captain was probably Colin Ingleby-Mackenzie and I wanted him in the side but his batting was not good enough.

fredfertang

Always a fascinating exercise but I'm not convinced overseas players should count (unless England qualified) or that a player who made his name with another county should be eligible

So for Hants I would replace Greenidge, Richards, Warne, Marshall and Fry with Roy Marshall, George Brown, Lionel Tennyson, Jack Newman and Butch White with His Lordship as skipper

Pothas

Yeah I did do a rough side that excluded overseas players.
Fry's inclusion is a bit dubious given he played so much more for Sussex. However I feel that the likes of Richards and Greenidge deserve to be there because they played for Hampshire for so many seasons.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
DI Gower*
CJB Wood
GL Berry
MR Hallam
P Willey (OS)
RW Tolchard+
JH King (LM)
JF Steele (SLA)
G Geary (RFM)
JE Walsh (SLC)
CT Spencer (RM)

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Off the top of my head, so is probably a bit crap. Hirst and Verity might be better batsmen that I gave them credit for as well.

Boycott
Sutcliffe
Lehmann
Tendulkar
Inzamam Ul Haq
Michael Bevan
Rhodes
Bairstow
Trueman
Hirst
Verity

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lancashire
C Washbrook RHB 34101 runs @42.67
GE Tyldesley RHB 38874runs@45.46
AC Maclaren RHB 22236runs @34.15
E Paynter LHB 20075runs@42.26
CL Lloyd LHB 31232runs@49.26
Ian Chappell RHB 19680runs @48.35
WK Hegg RHB/WK 11302@27.90
Wasim Akram LHB/LF 7161runs@22.73, 1042wickets@21.64
J Briggs RHB/SLA 14092runs@18.27, 2221wickets@15.95
JB Statham LHB/RFM 5424@10.6, 2260 wickets @16.37
SF Barnes RHB/RFM 1573 runs @12.78, 719 wickets@17.09

12th man
RG Barlow RHB/LM 11217 runs@20.61, 950 wickets@14.52

Honourable mentions
Johnny Tyldesly, Colin Croft, Ken Higgs, Michael Holding, Murali, Tommy Greeenhough, Patterson, Roy Tattersall, Dick Tyldesly, A plethora of other batsmen (Crawley, Atherton, Hodge, Law...)

Maclaren gets in despite his average because quite simply, he's Archie Maclaren, he's probably the captain here though he has some competition. There's about 3 more unbelievable bowling attacks you could make up but not that many more batting line ups. Couldn't leave Wasim out and he provides a bit of balance as there isn't really a wicket keeper of tremendous batting ability so it was Hegg, Engineer or Duckworth. Only 4 bowlers but with that line up you don't need more.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Without overseas players replace Wasim with Barlow, Llloyd with Crawley and Chappell with Johnny Tyldesley.

Chubb

International Regular
Essex Without Overseas Players
Graham Gooch
Alastair Cook
Keith Fletcher *
CAG Russell
Percy Perrin
Trevor Bailey
James Foster +
Stan Nichols
Peter Smith
Ray East
John Lever

Essex With Overseas Players
Graham Gooch
Alastair Cook
Alan Border *
Stuart Law
Mark Waugh
Andy Flower +
Trevor Bailey
Stan Nichols
Peter Smith
John Lever
Ray East

Wouldn't want to be facing the top six of the second side... though I reckon the first team is pretty strong too. Trevor Bailey is a boon to have because he is 3rd seamer and a good bat so we could play 2 spinners. I think Smith was the best legger Essex had and I was torn between Kaneria and East in the overseas team... I wanted to find a place for Charles Kortwright, a demon fast bowler, but Nichols was an excellent bowler with a much more proven track record and a good bat.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Lancashire
C Washbrook RHB 34101 runs @42.67
GE Tyldesley RHB 38874runs@45.46
AC Maclaren RHB 22236runs @34.15
E Paynter LHB 20075runs@42.26
CL Lloyd LHB 31232runs@49.26
Ian Chappell RHB 19680runs @48.35
WK Hegg RHB/WK 11302@27.90
Wasim Akram LHB/LF 7161runs@22.73, 1042wickets@21.64
J Briggs RHB/SLA 14092runs@18.27, 2221wickets@15.95
JB Statham LHB/RFM 5424@10.6, 2260 wickets @16.37
SF Barnes RHB/RFM 1573 runs @12.78, 719 wickets@17.09

12th man
RG Barlow RHB/LM 11217 runs@20.61, 950 wickets@14.52

Honourable mentions
Johnny Tyldesly, Colin Croft, Ken Higgs, Michael Holding, Murali, Tommy Greeenhough, Patterson, Roy Tattersall, Dick Tyldesly, A plethora of other batsmen (Crawley, Atherton, Hodge, Law...)

Maclaren gets in despite his average because quite simply, he's Archie Maclaren, he's probably the captain here though he has some competition. There's about 3 more unbelievable bowling attacks you could make up but not that many more batting line ups. Couldn't leave Wasim out and he provides a bit of balance as there isn't really a wicket keeper of tremendous batting ability so it was Hegg, Engineer or Duckworth. Only 4 bowlers but with that line up you don't need more.

Ian Chappell is a novelty choice - played just once or twice didn't he?

Still you have given me an excuse to tell my Ian Chappell story:-

In the autumn of 1979 I was sat in a pub in Lytham St Annes with a couple of mates. During the course of the evening Chappelli came in with an entourage and sat at the table next to us. I have to say that beyond recognising him when he walked in we wouldn't have noticed him although he may well have picked up on the fact that his presence set myself and my mates off talking about the Packer circus and everything flowing from that which was big news at the time.

It must have been before the 1979/80 tour because I am sure we would have made some comments had the Ashes just been won 4-1 by England!

Anyway in due course I had the call of nature and went to the gents and in the middle of what I was doing Chappell walked in. He stood next to me and his first action was to let rip an impressively loud and rasping fart followed very rapidly by an equally loud and rasping belch. He then looked at me and said "the beer in this place is f****** p***”

I didn't really know what to say to that and my first thought was to be a bit concerned that perhaps I had said something in the bar that may have offended him so I kept quiet. He started to chuckle and looked at me again and said "did you realise I was Ian Chappell". My immediate reaction to that, and one which I must confess I had already prepared in the lounge thinking that he might say something like that when he was sat next to us, was "No I thought you were John Snow's bunny".

At this he roared with laughter but I still thought discretion was the better part of valour and left and went back to my table. When he came back into the bar shortly afterwards he made for the bar and bought a pint each for myself and my mates which he brought over in excellent humour and told us the pints were because I'd given him a line for his after-dinner speaking. Whether he ever used it I have no idea

I suppose I should have tried to get some piece of signed memorabilia from him but unfortunately being a young 'un I was just too overawed

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Good story! I only really put Chappell in because his figures are impressive compared to the alternatives(though different times)...couldn't put Law in because i knew he'd be in Essex's side, I suppose Tyldesly goes in, we need brothers in the side in any case.

Pothas

Wouldn't want to be facing the top six of the second side... though I reckon the first team is pretty strong too. Trevor Bailey is a boon to have because he is 3rd seamer and a good bat so we could play 2 spinners. I think Smith was the best legger Essex had and I was torn between Kaneria and East in the overseas team... I wanted to find a place for Charles Kortwright, a demon fast bowler, but Nichols was an excellent bowler with a much more proven track record and a good bat.
Know very little about Trevor Bailey apart from his commentary on TMS when I was young but am I right in thinking that he has the slowest half century in test match history?

Mister Wright

Don't know much about Queensland players before my era. So going on stats for Queensland for those I don't know.

Matthew Hayden
Bill Brown
Martin Love
Stuart Law
Alan Border (c)
Ken Mackay
Ian Healy
Andrew Bichel
Michael Kasprowicz
Craig McDermott
Carl Rackermann

Probably not even close, but I had a go.

Indipper

State Regular
You could put Thomo or Greg Chappell in there for starters.

Here's some sketchy Kent XI. Had previously given it some thought, but it's obviously a work in progress.

Hardinge
Fagg
Colin Cowdrey*
Woolley
Ames+
Asif Iqbal (Denness* if home qualified only)
Hooper (Woolmer if home qualified only)
Underwood
Blythe
Freeman
Fielder

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Wellington XI

Stewie Dempster
Bruce Edgar
Andrew Jones