• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Wicketless Spells

subshakerz

International Coach
As the title suggests, looking for examples of particular spells you have seen, perhaps 4-5 overs or so, which produced the high quality of bowling but yielding no benefits.

The example that sticks out would be Donald's famous battle with Atherton. Another one that sticks in mind would be a spell with the new ball by Steyn in 2009 against Paul Collingwood, when he beat the beat a dozen times and was as unplayable as I can remember. England saved that match with one wicket left.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I once took 0-25 off 18 overs, with four dropped catches, countless plays and misses, at least two LBWs turned down that I thought should have been given, and eight of the runs I conceded coming from edges through slips for four.

So yeah, it's probably Donald, Steyn or me. All on very similar levels.

Slifer

International Captain
I once took 0-25 off 18 overs, with four dropped catches, countless plays and misses, at least two LBWs turned down that I thought should have been given, and eight of the runs I conceded coming from edges through slips for four.

Haha

Marius

International Debutant
There was a Morkel spell against Michael Clarke once which brought to mind those Donald and Steyn spells. There was another Donald spell when I think both Waugh brothers were batting which also somehow didn't result in a wicket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ambrose during England's second innings at Lord's in 2000. England were chasing 188 after dismissing WI for 54, and conditions weren't easy. Ambrose's 22 overs went for 22 runs and he looked like taking wickets in almost all of them. He eventually dismissed Caddick, but he was unlucky not to remove most of the top order.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I want to throw my ring in the hat here - I once bowled a spell in my neighbour's backyard that lasted for about 10 overs where I went for very few runs, was virtually unplayable, and ended up smashing their toilet window with a searing bouncer.

I think play was called off at that point with my mate from next door still at the piss-stained crease.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Wahab Riaz in the 2015 CWC against Watson instantly comes to mind.

Cummins at Old Trafford in 2019 I believe it was, could easily have had 2 or 3 wickets, also comes to mind.