• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Chucker

Who was the greatest chucker?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali not allowed to be discussed in this thread because that is by far the most tedious conversation ever.

So who is it? I'd say it's between Tony Lock and Ajmal. Maybe Charlie Griffith if you think he chucked?

Zinzan

In ODIs, it's Kyle Mills, but strangely hardly anyone seemed to notice that he chucked it for near on 15 years.

Daemon

4:50 for an atg chuck

I do believe he only threw his quicker one though, so maybe he gets a pass?

Daemon

In ODIs, it's Kyle Mills, but strangely hardly anyone seemed to notice that he chucked it for near on 15 years.
Ah yeah, it was blatant.

Ajmal and Narine were still better ODI bowlers though.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What's the rule for a chucking offence? It it banned until remedial work or just can't bowl until rectified? Just wondering if that is a dangerous move to give iffy batsmen a bowl.

Daemon

What's the rule for a chucking offence? It it banned until remedial work or just can't bowl until rectified? Just wondering if that is a dangerous move to give iffy batsmen a bowl.
Can't bowl, else New Zealand's best batsmen and captain would be on the bench.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aaron Bird 'bowled' big off cutters in the high 140s for a very short time period until people told him to stop taking the piss. If they let him keep on chucking for long enough to get selected internationally he could've featured in the poll; I still don't think he ever would've been as good as Ajmal though.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tony Lock is very impressive for getting away with it for ten years, while Ajmal's blatancy just before he was banned deserves some plaudits too.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Peebles said:
Jimmy Burke had an action like policeman applying a truncheon to a particularly short offender's head
I love the vividness of the mental image this quote creates. Someone once suggested that, as a variation, he try actually bowling once for once, while Jim Laker said that facing him and Meckiff was like standing in a darts match.

I must say I'm surprised Meckiff wasn't on the poll, considering it was his bowling that really set off the controversy at the back end of the fifties.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
IIRC from what footage I've seen, Meckiff looked worse in 58/59 than he did in 60/61

Both Ian Meckiff and Keith Slater appear in this video, Slater appearing at 7:31:

Although his arm is behind his body for part of the delivery, Slater doesn't look notably bad.