• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith Left Out of South African World Cup Squad

Andre

International Regular
Now this one really does suprise me. He's always done quite well, especially against Australia, yet has been excluded. Go figure.

Thoughts?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is Langeveldt in the squad? He's only played 3 ODI's and hasn't played for SA for 11 months! I think Steve Elworthy would have been a better selection on experience.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That surprises me a lot :O

Smith and Gibbs seemed to have formed a good partnership, but Gary Kirsten's been let back into the fray after that ton.

Langeveldt and Zondeki seems bizarre... I'd have taken one or the other (i.e. Zondeki) but not both :rolleyes:

All the same, if someone can get into the top order early now, they seem like they could be there for the taking.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The Selectors claim there are no quotas any more...but picking Zondeki who's not proved anything and has barely played any 1st Class Cricket makes me wonder weather they are telling the truth...:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't really see what Smith's done wrong! Maybe they want to play Kirsten with Gibbs or maybe open with Hall and let Kirsten drop down to 3. Kirsten back in the team is the reason why Smith's been dropped though, but Smith's been in better form and has been opening ahead of Kirsten for a while now...odd

Orin

School Boy/Girl Captain
It looks like most of the players who think that they would have gotten a shot at the fifteen was some of the experienced players also. The selectors are playing it tough on a wet pitch.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Seems very harsh on Smith, I would've thought he was a shooin'

And Peterson?!
Rik - Zondeki has impressed for the A side so far.. and besides, what else is there by way of back-up quicks? Hayward's past it and Terbrugge has not impressed. Langeveldt still baffles.

If they were hell-bent on quotas then Ashwell Prince would have got picked.

Peterson is a useful spinner and can bat, in my book he merits the place, with a lack of top-class slow bowlers Boje and Peterson's a reasonable choice.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Rik - Zondeki has impressed for the A side so far.. and besides, what else is there by way of back-up quicks? Hayward's past it and Terbrugge has not impressed. Langeveldt still baffles.

If they were hell-bent on quotas then Ashwell Prince would have got picked.

Peterson is a useful spinner and can bat, in my book he merits the place, with a lack of top-class slow bowlers Boje and Peterson's a reasonable choice.
Yes but which other nations would take a player who has played 12 FC games and 2 ODIs? Now you could compare this with England maybe choosing Anderson, but Anderson has taken more than one Wicket per game...

What about Ngam? Is he still injured? I'd pick Terbrugge as he is a good bowler. Or Telemachus.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Vettori...
He's a spinner, and he didn't go to the World Cup after playing 2 ODIs.

Just one attack of nerves and 10 Overs and 50 runs later the game could be lost. I'd go for experiance. As I've said many times before: I NEED MORE PROOF

Langeveldt

Soutie
Langeveldt is in the squad because he is younger than Elworthy who is getting on a bit.

Peterson seems really ove . Bojé should play more than Peterson

Ngam is long term injured, Telemachus has lost form and Terbrugge is a mystery.

open365

International Vice-Captain
every time i look,south african cricket(at least the ineternational side) seems to be going crazy.

i'm the first to admit i don't know much about south african cricket but no graeme Smith is downright crazy,my first memories of test cricket(yes,i know ODIs are a different game) was him blasting 2 double hundreds in 2 tests along with a lightning 87*.

for the talent south sfrica have,they should acheive a hell of a lot more IMO.

pollock,ntini,nel-all great bowlers.

smith,gibbs,kirsten,kallis,kemp,boucher are all terrific players.

I reckon south africa has some big problems for not winning anything major.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What a brilliant dig.. Gave me the fright of my life there, I thought he had been found injecting himself with hormones and had been thrown out of the team till 2008!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
open365 said:
every time i look,south african cricket(at least the ineternational side) seems to be going crazy.

i'm the first to admit i don't know much about south african cricket but no graeme Smith is downright crazy,my first memories of test cricket(yes,i know ODIs are a different game) was him blasting 2 double hundreds in 2 tests along with a lightning 87*.

for the talent south sfrica have,they should acheive a hell of a lot more IMO.

pollock,ntini,nel-all great bowlers.

smith,gibbs,kirsten,kallis,kemp,boucher are all terrific players.

I reckon south africa has some big problems for not winning anything major.
Tom, here's a hint: before you respond to a thread, check the "date of last post". This is from December 2002, before those double centuries you mentioned. Smith ended up playing the WC anyway when Jonty Rhodes broke.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
RP is the same bloke that Lara smashed for 28 in an over. And it was the penulitmate over of the day too. That is why u don't play left arm toffee bowlers to Lara.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
RP is the same bloke that Lara smashed for 28 in an over. And it was the penulitmate over of the day too. That is why u don't play left arm toffee bowlers to Lara.
Oh really?

Cricinfo commentary from Lords 2004 said:
45.2 Giles to Lara, OUT: down the pitch, flighted up, looks to drive,
through the gap into the middle stump, and Giles takes his 100th
Test wicket, what a wicket to get it with