• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodwin for Australia

iamdavid

International Debutant
Andre pointed this out to me last night on MSN

originally from Wisden Cricinfo
Murray Goodwin has said that he would love to play for Australia when he becomes eligible to do so in seven months.

Goodwin was born in Harare, but moved to Australia when he was 13, only returning to Zimbabwe in 1997 to pursue an international career in which he played 19 Tests and 71 ODIs. But at the end of Zimbabwe's tour of England in 2000 he announced that he was quitting international cricket and he moved back to Perth, resuming a career with Western Australia which had started in 1996-97.

Under International Cricket Council rules, a player cannot be selected by a country if he has represented another nation in the preceding four years. Goodwin's last appearance for Zimbabwe was the NatWest Series final against England at Lord's on July 22, 2000.

"The thought of playing international cricket again keeps me going," Goodwin told the Western Australian newspaper. "I set myself pretty high standards and if I can keep performing well for WA, who knows down the line? It would be great to play for Australia. All I can do is just make runs and leave it up to the selectors.

"Playing for Australia is a way off. Even though I'm a naturalised Australian I can't play until after this season. Even then I'd be 31 and whether they look at me is another story. But I'd love to play for Australia. It would be awesome.

"I want to keep playing for WA as long as I'm good enough to play and they want me."
So what do you guys think , he will be 34 in 2007.

Personally I have no doubts he's good enough , just a matter of do they want to pick a 31 year old in an already ageing middle order , it would be a bit of a betrayal to Love , Katich , Clarke , etc to just pick him as soon as he becomes available , I guess we'll just have to wait & see.
Thats a couple of interesting things coming up in July as I beleive Pieterson is eligable for England then aswell.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt it...at the age of 34, he will be up against it.
Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist have all got a few years left in them yet..Ponting more than the rest & presumably Clarke will get the other spot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm very much disappointed in Murray Goodwin.

He leaves Zimbabwe stranded on tha basis that he didn't want to play international cricket anymore. Now he claims that he's willing to play again, but for a team which does not need his services.

Good job.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Very true Mr Mxy (is that abbreviation alright?! lol).

I just cant see him getting in anyway. Theres just no room.
The only time there will be is if theres an injury or a retirement, and then it will probably go to someone younger anyway.
If he was as good a bowler as he is a batsman, different story.

Top_Cat

He leaves Zimbabwe stranded on tha basis that he didn't want to play international cricket anymore. Now he claims that he's willing to play again, but for a team which does not need his services.
That's disingenuous, Liam. That wasn't his publically stated reason at all. In fact, I remember that at the time he, in fact, stated he was extremely disappointed that he could no longer play for Zim as it's his home country. The politics and safety issues just somewhat got in the way.

As for whether he'd play, Australia hasn't been in the habit of picking 30+ year-old batsmen for their debuts in general. I doubt an exception would be made, even for one so gifted as Goodwin.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
I seriously doubt it...at the age of 34, he will be up against it.
Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist have all got a few years left in them yet..Ponting more than the rest & presumably Clarke will get the other spot.
He'll be 34 in 2007, that's plenty of time. Doubt he'll get picked though.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I was under the impression that once a player plays for an international team he cannot play for another one ever?
Or did they change the rules? or am i just wrong :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
SpaceMonkey said:
I was under the impression that once a player plays for an international team he cannot play for another one ever?
If that was the case, Kepler Wessels would be long gone...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Top_Cat said:
That's disingenuous, Liam. That wasn't his publically stated reason at all. In fact, I remember that at the time he, in fact, stated he was extremely disappointed that he could no longer play for Zim as it's his home country. The politics and safety issues just somewhat got in the way.
That's not the way I heard it. I heard that he wanted to make a living with County Cricket etc. instead, because of financial issues.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm very much disappointed in Murray Goodwin.

Good job.
Personally I heard it the way Corey did.

Craig

World Traveller
SpaceMonkey said:
Long time no see. :) :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Space abandoned us before some did.
A long time here (August 2003) for that number of posts.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
Compared to some people that is :P .
Mr 15.55 posts per day:O

I beleive thats 6 of us now , you , Craig , me , Arjun , Amits (:rolleyes: ) & SM.

Welcome:)

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:

As for whether he'd play, Australia hasn't been in the habit of picking 30+ year-old batsmen for their debuts in general. I doubt an exception would be made, even for one so gifted as Goodwin.
You are correct Top_Cat he wanted to play for Zimbabwe and live in Australia but it was Zimbabwe who said he couldn't play for them unless he played domestic cricket in Zimbabwe.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Richard said:

Although the ECB boards had some good discussions i kinda got narked off at the fact you had to wait a day for your post to appear by which time you missed half the conversation :).

I read these forums daily just i've not had any reason to post much lately, im sure once the W.I. Tour starts i'll post more ;)

Different forum same crap though i see Richard :) :lol: :rolleyes:

only joking!

oh and hello craig :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Although the ECB boards had some good discussions i kinda got narked off at the fact you had to wait a day for your post to appear by which time you missed half the conversation :).

I read these forums daily just i've not had any reason to post much lately, im sure once the W.I. Tour starts i'll post more ;)

Different forum same crap though i see Richard :) :lol: :rolleyes:

only joking!

oh and hello craig :P
Nice to see yer agen, Space.
Fun, ain't it, this instant uploading?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Richard, by any chance do you have MSN? Please respond whether you do or not.
I'm sure I told you before, Craig - no, sadly I don't. I will tell you immidiately if we get it.