• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good Ashes players who never played ODIs

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Langer was seen as pretty stodgy and unexpansive early in his career. Early on he played a few games batting down the order, never higher than #4.

By the time his game developed at test level and he might have come into the team, MWaugh and Gilchrist were already established as openers, and when MWaugh retired Hayden took over. Langer was never going to push Ponting, Martyn, SWaugh, Hussey, Lehmann, Watson and Symonds out of the middle order. Even guys like Hodge were much better batsmen in ODI's who didn't get a solid run at things.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langers ODI strike rate, in its very limited sample size, is quite impressive for a pre '96 career.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was very difficult to find, this. Some players who I never knew played ODIs it turns out played them for years. Simon Katich wore yellow 45 times it turns out. Oops.

Even those who you might be sure have never got in have played a bit, I suppose there's just too many ODIs to not involve your test players at some point. Marcus North played 2 odis - and none of you know what matches they are

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh Katich and Watson were a handy opening combo for a while iirc

stephen

No Katich was too slow for his era. Only batsman to have a strike rate of under 100 in the 435 game (Dippenaar got out very cheaply that game). He was holding up the opening spot while Phil Jacques was literally averaging 100 at a run a ball in the ODD competition. Only got a game in the ODI side because he was Steve Waugh's good mate.

Jacques is a player who well and truly should have played more ODIs for Australia. More tests too. Pity about his back injury.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Was very difficult to find, this. Some players who I never knew played ODIs it turns out played them for years. Simon Katich wore yellow 45 times it turns out. Oops.

Even those who you might be sure have never got in have played a bit, I suppose there's just too many ODIs to not involve your test players at some point. Marcus North played 2 odis - and none of you know what matches they are
vs Pakistan in the UAE, right? If memory serves it was also around the same time as the weird Brett Geeves run that has spouted an incredible number of **** Fox Sports 'articles'

EDIT:
Just looked it up and nope, was Laughlin, not Geeves.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I know he played a handful of ODIs but it is slightly strange how Justin Langer never got a lookin in ODIs.

More to the point both Adam Hollioake and Ronnie Irani played more than 30 ODIs over Butch's career and weren't remotely as good

And don't give me the not comparing like with like bollocks because Butch was a perfectly serviceable bowler, and a bloody good guitarist
Remember when England in the leadup to the 2003 WC were trying Irani as a No. 3 bat? Good grief.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It is a hard one to think ones from an Australian perspective. I thought Bob Holland would count based on his matchwinning role in 1985 at Lords but even he played a couple of ODIs.

Best example I can think of is another leg-spinner Peter Sleep who won the Sydney 1987 Test but never played an ODI.

fredfertang

Remember when England in the leadup to the 2003 WC were trying Irani as a No. 3 bat? Good grief.
After the 2003 WC Irani had to give up bowling due to injury - played solely as a batsman for the next four years and averaged north of 60 - if he'd never turned his arm over he might have been quite a cricketer

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
It is a hard one to think ones from an Australian perspective. I thought Bob Holland would count based on his matchwinning role in 1985 at Lords but even he played a couple of ODIs.

Best example I can think of is another leg-spinner Peter Sleep who won the Sydney 1987 Test but never played an ODI.
Chris Rogers is the best recent example, maybe the best since ODIs became a thing

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounda hardly did anything in one day cricket for South Australia pretty much ever, at times he was played mainly as a batsman and only bowled a couple of overs a game tops

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthew Elliott. Great Ashes career.

He played an ODI, but never played ODIs :)
This always struck me as a bit odd, because by the time Herb was at the Redbacks he was a 50 over gun but couldn't hold a spot in a pretty frail batting lineup at Shield level. Bit of a shame, because at his peak he was one if not the best opening batsman in the country.

His son Sam has a Vic rookie contract... as a right arm quick. Wouldn't have expected that.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matthew Elliott was just a classic case of too many great players trying to get through a small door in the 90s/00s

Wasn't a lot of opportunity with Mark Waugh, Gilchrist, Hayden holding up the spots. Same thing happened to Langer who would have been a great ODI player post-2000 but never got a game, he played his last ODI in 1997 before he was even that good.

mr_mister

I always really liked Elliott and wanted him back in the test side in the early 2000s, perhaps more than Bevan. I thought his test best of 199 was really cool. Such a tragic number to get out on while still being the mark of an amazing innings