• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Global impact of IPL

brockley

International Captain
Whats the effect globally.
Heard it got a lot of viewers on setanta.
Got a good following on channel ten in australia.
Got a big following in south africa.
Am interested how it went in non test playing countries?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not sure it really matters. At least the big wigs at the IPL don't really care (as much) about global marketability. The money comes from Indian eyes, and the contracts overseas for TV rights are nice, but they are chump change.

brockley

International Captain
I think it would be nice if this were to see the game be spread throughout the world.
Its got greater coverage than the 20/20 world cup.
I think its been a psoitive vehicle to sell the game and grow it.
Fact of seeing the best of players playing in a competitive world league,of course based in india.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd bet that the majority of NZers won't even be able to tell you the winner of the tournament, even though we had coverage of basically every game live.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I enjoy T20 and dont mind IPL at all but I dont think I even checked a scorecard let alone watched a game.

R_D

International Debutant
Same here in Aus where, incidentally, it was a flop for Channel 10.
that was probably partially to do with channel 10 showing only a hnadful oft he matches live or the stupidity of showing a completed match when they could've shown the live match now and the completed one later.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Channel 10 would have been better served replaying the previous night's games in prime time ahead of Big Brother; it might not have been a roaring success but it would have rated better than that steaming pile.

Seriously, the timeslot as much as anything has a lot to do with it's failure to rate surely.

Spinksy

Banned
that was probably partially to do with channel 10 showing only a hnadful oft he matches live or the stupidity of showing a completed match when they could've shown the live match now and the completed one later.
They played all the matches, but none of which were live, they were all played at around midnight.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I read it rated higher than what 10 expected but obviously not enough to go head to head with prime time shows in peak ratings season. Lots of emails about a 1 hour highlights package which they're considering taking from S-Max as well.

Obviously the one thing holding the competition back was the timings but I don't think the Aussie market is important enough for Modi to compromise the prime time dosh he's getting in India.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously, the timeslot as much as anything has a lot to do with it's failure to rate surely.
Yes, I've spoken to a lot of people who aren't big cricket fans who would've watched it had it been on at a reasonable hour.

howardj

International Coach
No network would put it on in prime time here in Australia. That's why there is no tri-series as from next summer and why, last summer, Channel Nine refused to show (for the first time ever) two of the games between the non-Australian teams. The reason is simple - cricket does not rate in prime time unless our national team is playing. To think Deccan v Mumbai would rate in prime time is, with respect, fanciful.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Loved it when it was on Ten HD, live. Much better timeslot. I guess Ch 10's problem with it would be commercial, because they'd be making more money showing Guthy Renker 30min advertisments than the cricket. Surely it's a great chance to utilise the Ten HD, and chop the night's worth down to an hour, and show the previous night's events at 7pm or so.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno about globally, but the biggest impact for me was an increased appreciation for the tests in WI and in England.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Most of the people I know who've been following it in the UK have an Indian background. Given that it's on Setanta, who've now also got some India ODI's, perhaps that's what it's market is going to be over here.

masterblaster

International Captain
After seeing Channel 10's dismal coverage of the IPL here in Australia, it's so disappointing to see that Fox Sports lost out on the rights. Fox Sports would've done such a great job with their coverage.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I don't even know who won the whole thing. I might be more interested in the future. Many of the Indians at my work place don't really seem to care either.