• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Girls playing with boys?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Healy's niece has been picked in the Barker College 1st XI, she is the first girl to be picked to play in a major private girls 1st's in NSW. Some old boy from Barker has stirred up abit of controversy by saying that she should not have even been allowed to try out for the boys team.

Here is an article from todays Daily Telegraph

Healy niece hit in ***ist email row

By Leticia Makin and James Phelps

October 31, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

TEST legend Ian Healy's 16-year-old niece is under attack in a malicious email campaign after she became the first girl to be picked for the first XI cricket team at an elite private school.

The email, allegedly sent by a Barker College Old Boy, calls for keeper and batswoman Alyssa Healy to be kicked off the team and describes her selection as an "attack that cannot be accepted".

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of the email in which the author slams Barker College's decision to select a female in the first XI.

"In 2006 the institution that has been the male first XI Barker team has been challenged, by a girl named Alyssa Healy," the email reads.

"Her uncle is famous Australian keeper Ian Healy. To the amazement of many, Alyssa was able to trial for the First XI and subsequently awarded a place. It is time this disgraceful situation is quickly amended.

"Clearly this is an attack that cannot be accepted. All ex-students must join in fighting this outrageous decision."

The Old Barker Association has distanced itself from the email despite it carrying the organisation's letterhead.

Last night Australia's best-ever wicket keeper Ian Healy slammed it.

"Did he name any of these wonderful athletes Barker has put out?" he said in reference to claims.

"I wouldn't waste my breath on this guy (email author). I only have a certain amount of breath and I wouldn't waste any of it talking to that bloke."

Barker sports master Matt Macoustra said the anonymous attack was the work of a coward.

"I find it gutless and shameful that this person would speak about a child in this way without thinking about the ramifications for a kid who comes to school expecting to be safe from this kind of attack," he said.

Old Barker Association president Ben Ansen denied the old boys are involved.

Australian women's cricket star and former Barker student Alex Blackwell said she was offended at being named in the email as having been a good female cricketer who played in the college's female side.

"I commend her for wanting to play in the (male) team," she said.

Principal Dr Roderic Kefford said the school supported Alyssa and the email was a cowardly act.
Personally i think its fantastic for girls cricket that she has made the team, and she will probably do very well for them. But alot of people would say that if a girl can play in a boys cricket team why caant a boy play in a netball or softball team, surely that would only be fair? What do people think?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i might add she is probably a year or 2 younger then alot of the boys she will be playing with and against

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Anyhow, I don't see how her being picked can be a bad thing, Holly Colvin played for the First XI at a school, last year (although I don't think it was a discriminatiory school) and some posh guy at the MCC, kicked up a fuss about it, I really can't remember why, but she can't have been out of her depth because the same season she won the Ladies' Ashes with England.

It's just another occasion where people think that because the traditions of the private school are horribly out-of-date and discriminating, that it's OK to insult a 16-year old, just because of her gender.

And, hey, I hear Australia need a new Test keeper ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I just saw this some time back as well. If she is good enough, she should play. Simple as.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i know alyssa and she's not that good... unless barker are down on keepers she shouldn't be playin

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard somewhere that she's played Under 17's or something for Australia, but I haven't actually read it anywhere. True or not?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Pratyush said:
I just saw this some time back as well. If she is good enough, she should play. Simple as.
If she's good enough. IF she's good enough.
IF SHE'S GOOD ENOUGH she should play. That has always, in my eyes, been the case.
It's just a pity that this has to, and always seems to, happen.

Slats4ever

burkey_1988 said:
I heard somewhere that she's played Under 17's or something for Australia, but I haven't actually read it anywhere. True or not?
yeah under 17 for the women's. She's really dominant in the women's juniors games. I think she was vc of the Aus Under 17 or something

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We had two girls in the team we played on the weekend. I figured that since they were girls, they must be pretty good to be in the team (not that we're of a particularly high standard, mind you). But they both came in at under 7 or so in the order, and wouldn't have made more than 5 runs combined. Would also like to add that while the usual sledging ensued, none of it was to do with them being chicks.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
i know alyssa and she's not that good... unless barker are down on keepers she shouldn't be playin
I doubt Barker's 1st XI is any good. If she's Australian women's Under 17's, she's probably good enough for Barker.

Slats4ever

burkey_1988 said:
I doubt Barker's 1st XI is any good. If she's Australian women's Under 17's, she's probably good enough for Barker.
probably right! mind u they usually do ok in the CAS... one of the better teams.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
My point is private school cricket overall in Sydney isn't high quality at all. If you're any good you'll be playing grade for a club rather than your school. For example, while GPS Rugby is very intense and well-regarded, GPS cricket means nothing. Then consider that CAS is a few rungs below GPS.

pasag

RTDAS
This has got to be the only issue in the world I have no opinion of. Honestly, no opinion. Scary actually.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
andyc said:
We had two girls in the team we played on the weekend. I figured that since they were girls, they must be pretty good to be in the team (not that we're of a particularly high standard, mind you). But they both came in at under 7 or so in the order, and wouldn't have made more than 5 runs combined. Would also like to add that while the usual sledging ensued, none of it was to do with them being chicks.

At our primary school, there was no girls cricket team so if any girls wanted to play they'd play in the boys team (as happened with other Wagga teams).

Only once in my time at that school did a girl play. In year 4, for I think, Senior C.

She took no wickets, perhaps scored 3 runs, in the entire season, and didn't play again. Though she was treated no differently than anyone else in the team.

In year six there was just one girl playing in the entire Senior A comp, who was the best batsman (err, batswoman) in the comp. I mean, she was really good. I think she plays for Australia now?

Slats4ever

burkey_1988 said:
My point is private school cricket overall in Sydney isn't high quality at all. If you're any good you'll be playing grade for a club rather than your school. For example, while GPS Rugby is very intense and well-regarded, GPS cricket means nothing. Then consider that CAS is a few rungs below GPS.
doubt it especially seeing that they'd rather play with their mates and also often summer sport is compulsory and often some of them are there on a scholarship to play cricket.

I go to this school named and the general feeling is that good luck to her. But the stink is being kicked up by oppisition schools as they do not have girls at their schools

Slats4ever said:
doubt it especially seeing that they'd rather play with their mates and also often summer sport is compulsory and often some of them are there on a scholarship to play cricket.

None are on scholarship's to play cricket