• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gillespie

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Has one bad tour and the selectors select ordinary bowlers such as Lewis and S. Clark in front of him? Ridiculous ffs.

Gillespie is our 3rd best seamer at the moment imo.

1. McGrath
2. Lee
3. Gillespie
4. Bracken

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His performance in the Ashes was one of the worst international bowling efforts I've seen, he just didn't hvae everything and his dropping, unlike Martyn's, was pretty much 100% justified

donwasaverage

Cricket Spectator
absolutely agree he was a liability in the ashes but he had been playing badly for a long time before that. he has lost a lot of pace and confidence and only stayed in the side as long as he did becuse he's taken so many test wickets.

if he ever gets back enough form to force his way back into the side i'll eat my helmet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gillespie's my favourite Aus bowler, but the Ashes wasn't his only poor series. I don't think he's had a good series since Aus toured India in 2004 if my memory serves me correct. He didn't do well in NZ when Aus toured there either.

Hopefully he'll battle his way back into form.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Took 7-35 for South Australia the other day.

He'll be back....and he'll play in the next Ashes series.

Mark my words.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He may had a bad Ashes series but he is a bl**** good bowler. It is only the presence of McGrath in the side that prevents his true worth from being appreciated. If Australia were to replace him permanently, with McGrath's career coming to a close, the loss for them would be huge ....and for cricket.

He is a wonderful bowler....too good to be judged on tha basis of one bad series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Clarence said:
Has one bad tour and the selectors select ordinary bowlers such as Lewis and S. Clark in front of him? Ridiculous ffs.
It was 3 bad ones in a row.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I just know Gillespie's going to take a bag of wickets in the next Ashes. I know it. The whole "where's you caravan?" thing was bound to come back and bite English fans sooner or later.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was absolutely dire in the Ashes(includes the one dayers and warm up matches) - but then Kasprowicz was only marginally better - and then when he was replace Tait was only marginally better than him....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
donwasaverage said:
absolutely agree he was a liability in the ashes but he had been playing badly for a long time before that. he has lost a lot of pace and confidence and only stayed in the side as long as he did becuse he's taken so many test wickets.

if he ever gets back enough form to force his way back into the side i'll eat my helmet.
What's a "long time"? He had an average summer, and a poor Ashes series... before that he was simply superb in both the subcontinent tours, particularly in India. And given that he has 18 wickets @ 16 in 3 games so far this season, I'd say he's not too far off good form again.

Shounak

Banned
SJS said:
He may had a bad Ashes series but he is a bl**** good bowler. It is only the presence of McGrath in the side that prevents his true worth from being appreciated. If Australia were to replace him permanently, with McGrath's career coming to a close, the loss for them would be huge ....and for cricket.

He is a wonderful bowler....too good to be judged on tha basis of one bad series.
Is that word bloody?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
I reckon he's been carrying an injury for a while.

The amount of stretching he does between deliveries, walking back to his mark he's surely sore all the time.

He reminds me of me

Gideon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I remember Gillespie bowling extremely well, he'd always create opportunities, without getting a wicket for them.

This probably had some effect on him, hence his form drop.

But its good to see him getting some wickets in domestic cricket. Hopefully he can continue to improve and press for a test/odi spot.