• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's probably just me, but, I just get the feeling that Gilchrist may retire in the next one or two years. He has such a heavy workload - keeping in tests (now most go 5 days), keeping and opening in ODIs. He just looks a bit jaded and not as sharp as usual. He also has a good business brain and doesn't seem too consumed with cricket which may not prolong the finish to his career.

But it just might be me.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Wasnt he always going to do the old retire-from-one-form-of-cricket thing?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
He did have a very poor test series with both the bat and the gloves. Part of the reason for Australia's poor catching was his and Pontings continual drops. I can see him being given a couple of matches off mid series to freshen up.

Sudeep

International Captain
I guess he's just going through a phase. Everyone goes through it.

He'll be BACK next Series or the next after that... for sure...

I think he still has 4-5 years in him.

Sudeep

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gilly has already indicated he will be retiring from the one dayers before he retires from the test matches. A lot of players like going on till the World Cup so I would say he will retire from the one dayers after 2007, and tests one or two years after that.

Sudeep

International Captain
Yeah... Even I think he'll be around for World Cup 2007.

I was just wondering though who after Adam Gilchrist?

I haven't been in touch with Australian Domestic Cricket... ONly names I've heard are Ryan Campbell and Brad Haddin..

Any other keepers to come on the stage after Gilchrist leaves?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sole member of Nathan Bracken Fan Club
I like the guy as well :S

I dont know much about Australian domestic cricket myself. I guess some one else and not Brad Haddin may come up in 2007. Haddin would be 30 then. But he has been playing for Australia for almost as many years as Gilchrist has been playing for Australia. So he may get in for a few years.

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Isn't it ironic? Where most of the Aussies seem to be hating the guy, we Indians seem to appreciate him...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:

I dont know much about Australian domestic cricket myself. I guess some one else and not Brad Haddin may come up in 2007. Haddin would be 30 then. But he has been playing for Australia for almost as many years as Gilchrist has been playing for Australia. So he may get in for a few years.
Gilchrist started his test career a week short of his 28th birthday, so there's hope for Haddin yet.

Sole member of Nathan Bracken Fan Club
Also member of Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society
These fan clubs and appreciation societies are cropping up everywhere! I'm thinking of creating the Chris Cairns, Colin Cowdrey, Corey Collymore and Cameron Cuffy Commendation Community :D. If I get 11 members I could make the Chris Cairns, Colin Cowdrey, Corey Collymore and Cameron Cuffy Commendation Community Cricket Club :P... or CCCCCCCCCCCC for short.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Wouldnt surprise me if he just retired from keeping and played as a standalone batsmen / backup keeper.
I'm sure if he was to do that he'd be able to get his batting back up to the form it was a few years ago and could warrent a place in the australian side on batting alone. It wasnt THAT long ago he was averaging 60 in tests. Although he soon dropped off a bit.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
give the guy a break, he just had n off series, happens to the everyone (tendulkar had an entire off year)

Mister Wright

age_master said:
give the guy a break, he just had n off series, happens to the everyone (tendulkar had an entire off year)
I didn't make this assumption just on his poor series with both gloves and bat. He has said before that retirement might not be too far away. And he has been increasingly pushing for more breaks for the players, I just thought with all this combined he may think about retiring sooner than we all think.

Craig

World Traveller
What feast upon some rubbish bowling by the South Africans to get his Test average up to 60 and some very good batting decks at Jo'burg and Newlands.

Having Allan Donald tear his hamstring didnt help either.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I I just thought with all this combined he may think about retiring sooner than we all think.

that depends on what everyone is thinking, i dont think there is anything to worry about, hes not retired yet :) worry about it when it happens :)

Mister Wright

age_master said:
that depends on what everyone is thinking, i dont think there is anything to worry about, hes not retired yet :) worry about it when it happens :)
I'm not worried. At least not for tests anyway, Secombe could just slot in nice and easy. ODers may be a different kettle of fish with no stand out batsman/keeper.

Just a feeling I have, I got it right on the Mark Taylor retirement.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
campbell would be my pick (for ODers), Haddin for mine, is the worst FC level keeper in the country by a long way

as for the VC i would say Hayden would become the VC if gilchrist retired

Mister Wright

age_master said:
campbell would be my pick (for ODers), Haddin for mine, is the worst FC level keeper in the country by a long way

as for the VC i would say Hayden would become the VC if gilchrist retired
Agreed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I dont think hes retiring any time soon. If he does then Haddin will take over in the ODIs and Seccombe in the tests. Im pretty sure he will retire from ODIs after the 2007 World Cup and I think 2009-10 will bve his last summer of test cricket, and I think by then Seecombe will have established himself better than Haddin in both forms (unless he is too old - I dont have a clue about his age). Campbell is simply rubbish. He and Hauritz making ODIs was just rediculous. Several players deserved it more (although most of them werent keepers or spinners...)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Haurittz is a good player who performed well when given a chance.

I'll throw a roughie in as Australia's next test keeper - Chris Hartley from Queensland. Wade Secombe is 33 this year and probably won't go for much longer. Hartley scored a hundred on debut and impressed everyone with his keeping. Apparently Qld will pick him as a batsman while Secombe keeps. My pick is that Gilchrist will retire a couple of years after Secombe giving Hartley enough time to gain first class keeping experiance whilst also having several years as a batsman. He is only 22 atm so should be in his prime when Gilchrist retires.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist, in my opinion, is one of the best and most effective batsmen in international cricket and that average, with that number of 50's and 100's, along with the strike rate, does tell a story. They were talking of Tendulkar's dry run, but surprisingly, nothing was said about Gilchrist's lack of runs. A quality batsman who can change a match and win matches single-handedly. Can fit into any team as a batsman. This dual role has helped the team a lot ans that is what makes him unique.