• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist, LBWs and Seamers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Until the fourth Test of this summer, Adam Gilchrist had never been dismissed LBW by a fast bowler in Test cricket.

Since then, Matthew Hoggard's got him twice, Freddie picked him up in the SuperTest and Corey Collymore got him yesterday.

Coincedence?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Until the fourth Test of this summer, Adam Gilchrist had never been dismissed LBW by a fast bowler in Test cricket.

Since then, Matthew Hoggard's got him twice, Freddie picked him up in the SuperTest and Corey Collymore got him yesterday.

Coincedence?
Things like this don't just happen by coincidence, methinks - it's probably a tiny technical flaw caused simply by the fact that he's now 33 (?) and technique deteriorates over time. Add to that the fact that since the start of the Ashes he's been in his leanest ever trot in Test cricket and you've probably got something close to an explanation, I'd wager.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think he has been stepping across the stumps a little bit more, off both the front and back foot. It used to be a real characteristic of Gilchrist that, unless he was playing the ball through cover off the front foot, you'd be able to see a lot of the stumps. I don't really think that's happening any more.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it's either a co-incidence or new. I'm surprised it's taken this long to start appearing in Tests because it's happened to him with relative regularity in ODI's for years now. I've seen heaps of footage in ODI's of Gilchrist being nailed by Shoaib, Gough, Srinath, etc.