• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Lawson Ashes Diary 1989

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I want to order this Ashes diary from amazon, but first I want to be sure that is it really worth.
Does it includes a lot a lot of anecdotes on and off the field? Or is it only based on day by day match reports which we usually read in magazines and newspapers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have this book downstairs on my shelf. Was the first of the tour diaries published iirc. It’s not too bad. Got a few decent yarns in it

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
"Fox on the Run" (by Graeme Fowler) is an earlier tour diary (1984-5). There are other books with "diary" in the title/sub-title (e.g. "The Captain's Diary" by Bob Willis), but I don't know if they were actually written in a diary format.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Yeah, I've got that book somewhere. It's pretty decent as tour diaries go as Lawson is fairly blunt and open in his views.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the things I remember about it was Lawson talking about Alderman and the other bowlers getting the ball to reverse in their training sessions. I think he called it “Going Irish”. Was just a passing comment, but interesting given what has transpired since.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
One of the things I remember about it was Lawson talking about Alderman and the other bowlers getting the ball to reverse in their training sessions. I think he called it “Going Irish”. Was just a passing comment, but interesting given what has transpired since.
Interesting....does he talks about any sledging and Boon's 52 beers record?