• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gayle named WI captain

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Bridgetown, Barbados: The Gleaner has been reliably informed that Chris Gayle has been selected to captain the West Indies cricket team for the Caribbean team's tour to Australia in two weeks time.

According to the source, Gayle was recommended for the post by the selectors and the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) ratified the decision late yesterday evening.

The rest of the team was also scheduled to be named last night and will be ratified today by the WICB.

The West Indies will play three Tests against the world champions and will leave for the tour Down Under on November 9.

WestIndianMagic

Cricket Spectator
Well what a relief that is. I really couldn't see Ganga taking up the role as captain and Gayle is a much better option than him in terms of experience at the international level.

Look forward to see what our squad for the tour of Australia is.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Considering that Ganga can't even secure a spot in the team it would be quite foolhardy to make him captain.

analyst

U19 12th Man
What would be more fool hardy is seeing the return of some of the numerous incumbent Jamaicans in the team, I would be quite encouraged by Gayle as captain if he expressed an inclination to take an interest in calming the political issues by performance on the pitch, he however is not concerned by either and always appears solely focused on the financial package and conveniently forgets West Indies cricket gave him a chance to launch into these finer opportunities.

It is quite a tough job being captain of West Indies, and you would think Gayle is suited for it with his relaxed nature however although he does command the respect of the players wherever he goes, he does have a bias towards his own region which is unfair and uncalled for.

shivfan

Banned
To be fair, Gayle tends to play better with responsibility on his shoulders, unlike Chanderpaul, whose average plummetted when he was captain. As captain, Gayle's batting average is better than it was before he was appointed.

And yes, players like Shawn Findlay, Xavier Marshall and Carlton Baugh were given chances when their claims to WI representation were dubious, but they're not in the side any more. Which Jamaicans are currently playing for the West Indies without deserving their place in the side? As far as I can see, those who are in the team now deserve their place. And lest we forget, there are other selectors such as Clyde Butts and Raphick Jumadeen, who are not Jamaican.

The fact of the matter is that Jamaica are the domestic four-day champs, so if they get greater representation, then it shouldn't be too much of a surprise....

analyst

U19 12th Man
To be fair, Gayle tends to play better with responsibility on his shoulders, unlike Chanderpaul, whose average plummetted when he was captain. As captain, Gayle's batting average is better than it was before he was appointed.

And yes, players like Shawn Findlay, Xavier Marshall and Carlton Baugh were given chances when their claims to WI representation were dubious, but they're not in the side any more. Which Jamaicans are currently playing for the West Indies without deserving their place in the side? As far as I can see, those who are in the team now deserve their place. And lest we forget, there are other selectors such as Clyde Butts and Raphick Jumadeen, who are not Jamaican.

The fact of the matter is that Jamaica are the domestic four-day champs, so if they get greater representation, then it shouldn't be too much of a surprise....
I did not deny Gayle is a better and more mature player as captain and an asset to the West Indian team. I also never compared him to Shiv, I was comparing him to Lara or Hooper and I think considering there is a little more talent available now then there was a couple of years ago. Gayle should more thoughtful in his selection rather than just simply relying on selecting players from the winning region. That is as simplistic as saying, you pick all the players from Durham because they won the county championship or pick players from NSW or Mumbai because they are dominant more times than not.

I just hope when he returns as captain, he gives more thought to his selection and does not pick players who do not deserve a chance with West Indies ever again, one name being Devon Smith for sure, he has had way too many chances, if you are mocking Ganga, Devon Smith is a calamity.

Last edited:

analyst

U19 12th Man
Gayle is in charge of his selections and that article is dated July of 2008, hardly suggests what has developed over the last year. Gayle has hardly complained since about selection but more about financial problems and hardly delivered for all his complaints.

shivfan

Banned
I really don't see how you've come to the conclusion that Gayle is the sole selector of the West Indies team....
8-)
The chairman of selectors is Clyde Butts, and other members of the selection panel are Raphick Jumadeen and Robert Haynes. I think there is someone else, but I'm not sure. Gayle is not even an official member of the selection panel. I'm sure the selectors listen to his suggestions, as they did with previous captains. But that's all they are - suggestions.

Let me repeat - which Jamaican in the current WI side does not deserve his place?

analyst

U19 12th Man
I really don't see how you've come to the conclusion that Gayle is the sole selector of the West Indies team....
8-)
The chairman of selectors is Clyde Butts, and other members of the selection panel are Raphick Jumadeen and Robert Haynes. I think there is someone else, but I'm not sure. Gayle is not even an official member of the selection panel. I'm sure the selectors listen to his suggestions, as they did with previous captains. But that's all they are - suggestions.

Let me repeat - which Jamaican in the current WI side does not deserve his place?
As I said the current contracts have remedied this situation but before the contracts were sorted out, they had Nikita Miller, Darren Powell, Findlay, Sulimen Benn and the legendary Brendan Nash. 8-)

shivfan

Banned
As I said the current contracts have remedied this situation but before the contracts were sorted out, they had Nikita Miller, Darren Powell, Findlay, Sulimen Benn and the legendary Brendan Nash. 8-)
Benn is from Barbados, and Miller is arguably a better spinner than him. Powell and Findlay are out, long before the contractual situation, while Nash evidently deserves his place in the side. So, clearly the point being raised about Gayle and jamaicans in the side seems to be irrelevant.

Criticisms about selection issues should be addressed to the likes of Butts, Jumadeen and Haynes....

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
As shivfan pointed out, the selectors went through a worrying stage of picking mediocre Jamaicans like Findlay, Marshall and Baugh over more deserving candidates. At the time I thought it was an outrageous case of insularity and 'frenism' that Gayle was influencing and I still think that was the case.

But that only lasted up until the tour of NZ and disappeared straight after. Results on the field under Gayle have been much more encouraging and he is certainly the logical choice for captain.

Beamer

Something about him not liking the team selected.
Sorry, I don't understand? You mean that is what happened when Gayle almost stood down as captain? Or do you mean he is unhappy with the current team? I really hope its the former because I don't think I can take any more WIPA/WICB shenanigans right now...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The latter. Guessing that's why the squad hasn't been named yet as it was suppposed to be released today.

Beamer

The latter. Guessing that's why the squad hasn't been named yet as it was suppposed to be released today.
:@ I really really really hope you are wrong and it's just the usual WICB administrative incompetence that has resulted in the delay.

Unfortunately I have just come across Ronnie Sarwan's twitter site and he had this to say:

From bad to worst, can't handle this anymore
That does not sound at all good and he usually talks about cricket on it so I don't think he can be referring to anything else.