• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gaming discussion

Teja.

Global Moderator
Has anyone here played Pathologic? Saw a youtube video from hbomberguy on it and it sounds exactly like the type of sick game I would really enjoy.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. Tbh I never really felt this. To me the entire thing felt really well polished.
Oh no I agree with you. Was talking about the fact that the game feels like it ends 5 hours before it actually should've like you mentioned.

You played the new Ori? I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. Even better than the original.

Yeah looks great. Might have to upgrade my crappy pc though.

I want to hear thoughts on the combat /story changes to ff7 from the originals fans (dcye?) . I don't particularly love the original that much so I thought the story stuff was so stupid it kinda worked for me. Less keen on the combat though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
OS,

Remember having an argument with you over DS v. DS3. I played through DS again after like 5 years recently and you were right to the extent that DS is a far better game but wrong about the difficulty part, DS is far harder simply because of how suffocating existing is in the game if you're trying to play it legitimately as opposed to looking up the route. I got cursed twice in the depths and it was brutal. Blighttown took me like 2-3 hours but was still a massive pain in the ass.

What struck me about it is what an insanely rich game it is. You can get lost in a million different places. You can possibly never really understand weapon upgrades without looking it up. It's like the only good open world game even though it's not even an open world game at all.

I mean DS3 has better gameplay, better bosses and is by far the superior game if I want to blast through an awesome challenging bossfest over a weekend but as an experience it's definitely not on the level of DS1.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh no I agree with you. Was talking about the fact that the game feels like it ends 5 hours before it actually should've like you mentioned.

Yeah looks great. Might have to upgrade my crappy pc though.

I want to hear thoughts on the combat /story changes to ff7 from the originals fans (dcye?) . I don't particularly love the original that much so I thought the story stuff was so stupid it kinda worked for me. Less keen on the combat though.
Ah ok, gotcha. But yeah absolutely. End just kind of suddenly gets sprung upon you. Feels like it is missing an act.

Had a look at the DLC, but didn't really grab me.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Persona 3 is worth the grind IMO, but if you wanna make it a fair bit easier, using a 100% walkthrough really helps you smash the dungeon sections out quickly.

It also has best girl Mitsuru :wub:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
OS,

Remember having an argument with you over DS v. DS3. I played through DS again after like 5 years recently and you were right to the extent that DS is a far better game but wrong about the difficulty part, DS is far harder simply because of how suffocating existing is in the game if you're trying to play it legitimately as opposed to looking up the route. I got cursed twice in the depths and it was brutal. Blighttown took me like 2-3 hours but was still a massive pain in the ass.

What struck me about it is what an insanely rich game it is. You can get lost in a million different places. You can possibly never really understand weapon upgrades without looking it up. It's like the only good open world game even though it's not even an open world game at all.

I mean DS3 has better gameplay, better bosses and is by far the superior game if I want to blast through an awesome challenging bossfest over a weekend but as an experience it's definitely not on the level of DS1.
Good post. You're probably right about the difficulty. I think the first time I played it I didn't even find the bonfire at the bottom of blighttown until after I finally beat quelaag. I think the oppressive atmosphere, the amazing interconnected world along with the bonfire fast travel restriction made the game more annoying but was also partly what made the game special to me. It leads to some crazy situations where you find yourself in a really ****** area with a crappy weapon miles away from firelink and have to desperately fight your way back there (like me being stuck in the catacombs with a dinky piece of **** sword). I get why they added instant warp between the bonfires in DS3 and bloodborne but goddamn if there wasn't something small but great sacrificed there.

In general I think most people don't like being lost and having no idea where they are while playing a game, but I love that ****. Mapping out the levels in your head is part of the fun for me. It's why I find hollow knight so great too..it forces you to go and find a dumb map salesman in each area before it reveals the layout to you.. makes me wonder how many games of this kind I'd like more if they simply refused to give you a minimap.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Good post. You're probably right about the difficulty. I think the first time I played it I didn't even find the bonfire at the bottom of blighttown until after I finally beat quelaag. I think the oppressive atmosphere, the amazing interconnected world along with the bonfire fast travel restriction made the game more annoying but was also partly what made the game special to me. It leads to some crazy situations where you find yourself in a really ****** area with a crappy weapon miles away from firelink and have to desperately fight your way back there (like me being stuck in the catacombs with a dinky piece of **** sword). I get why they added instant warp between the bonfires in DS3 and bloodborne but goddamn if there wasn't something small but great sacrificed there.

In general I think most people don't like being lost and having no idea where they are while playing a game, but I love that ****. Mapping out the levels in your head is part of the fun for me. It's why I find hollow knight so great too..it forces you to go and find a dumb map salesman in each area before it reveals the layout to you.. makes me wonder how many games of this kind I'd like more if they simply refused to give you a minimap.
Yeah, I agree. The oppressive atmosphere makes the game a lot more meaningful and adds a lot of depth to the game. You end up familiarising yourself with the world in a way you otherwise wouldn't. It makes DS1 a much better game but does sorta reduce its replay value IMO compared to DS3.

Last edited:

Burner

International Debutant
I've had to do without gaming these past few months, and maaan, I am getting these crazy itches to play Sekiro again. Never had another game do this to me. Once I complete the story, that was it mostly. Might get a PS4 or something.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Bully (or Canis Canem Edit for the PS4 version) was probably my favourite game on the limited games I played on a PS2, the use of which I shared with my cousins during my early teenage years. I've been replaying it after all this time and it stands up even better than I remembered it to be. It's undoubtedly better than GTA games imo and while RDR2 has some incredibly well developed characters and stories, it's the unrefined jumblework stuff present in games of the scope of RDR2 that Bully completely leaves out in favour of having a smaller game but no filler missions, simple but intuitive combat system and a small but highly reactive and tightknit world which makes Bully better for me. Yes the graphics are from 2006, no you shouldn't care.

For the uninitiated, it's a game basically about AJ soprano being left to fend for himself through high school in the school that he had a panic attack about. It really is an underrated classic. In general, it has lots of genuinely hilarious, intentionally cringey as well as heartbreaking moments, the stories of the individual missions are far more varied than the GTA games, the characters while being enjoyably OTT at times really capture the range of complete ****s you can expect to see in your average boarding school experience and don’t hold back any punches whatsoever.

A few unique things that I particularly enjoyed about the game are

i) The soundtrack. I played it a single time when I was around 12 over a period of less than a month maybe, started it up after all this time and it has this incredible original instrumental soundtrack made specifically for the game which took me back and vibed me in straight away after 14 ****ing years. Goosebumps. It's so much more unique and memorable than the radio stations of GTA for sure and I'm actually a fan of those. It's even better than RDR 2 imo on account of the Bully default non-mission soundtrack essentially being the same song but mixed, slowed and speedened depending on where you are, the time of the day and your actions. This adds to the constant immersion of the player into the game while also reacting to the ebbs and flows of the game. This, along with several other intentional factors such as the very sparing use of technology, modern language and cultural references make it possible for the game to be set in a high school anytime in the last 40 years which is a lot more immersive than listening to an IRL song from 2011.

ii) The game is both extremely non-pc as well as profoundly moral at the same time. There's a lot of really vicious, mean bullying on display along with some very nasty but sadly common slurs etc but the main character both stands up for himself and the vulnerable by long term social manipulation, building alliances with others and guile for the ends of good as opposed to trying to portray himself as a do-gooder or trying to use his moral authority to magically win. This is an accurate reflection of how positive change sadly actually happens in most of these situations and teenage cliques in a school was a genius prop to explore this. It works better as social commentary precisely because it is not trying to be a grand satirical ****post on the 21st century like GTA 5 or an expositon on the duality of morality like RDR2. You don't have that much moral agency at all. You're just a troublemaker insubordinate kid from a broken family expelled from several previous schools trying to survive and get through school while every single group in the school uses their knowledge of your past to find their unique excuse to hate you. Its never getting made as strongly today though - I'd kill to play a Bully style game with the budget and scope that RDR2 or GTAV had but it just won't happen.

iii) The game shows you that bad people are not caricatures but exist in an extremely diverse range of people. The game starts off with a meathead jock called Russel who wants to cave your head in because you are new but then you find out he only wants to do that because your clearly dark triaded supposed best friend (who keeps popping adderral and dreaming about taking over the school despite not being popular or good at anything) was manipulating Russel to believe you were bitching about him behind his back. You try to move on and become cool by hanging out with the preppy rich kids who initially like you because you box well. However, you seen realize that they only see you as a circus show amusement and they'll never see you as one of them because you're permanently gasbied from ever being rich people cool by virtue of not adopting the social mannerisms only learned by being born rich. You defend the constantly bullied nerds but when you're trying to protect an angry young nerd making his class president speech, he's going borderline alt-right in his speech about 'apes', 'mindless bimbos' and the abolition of arts and sports so that STEM can be solely funded to create a nerd masterrace but he's getting eggs thown on him by said jocky apes the second he is on stage and has been wedgied every single day of his schooling life so can we really blame him. The **** do I now. On the other hand, he addresses people with Salutations! and calls RPGs 'mankinds greatest pursuit' ffs. What a crazy ****ing game.

iv) You spend most of your time within the game in a large boarding school campus which is 9000 times smaller than the world of GTA or RDR. This has its disadvantages but the advantage is that you soon get to know every nook and cranny, every secret, every new addition, every non-important dialogue character, most of the kids by look if not name and soon feel at home unlike any game that I've seen - bit like the homey feel of hogwarts without the insufferable goody two shoes characters or 'nobility' based higher moralities for 12 yos and with realistic mature writing. This makes becoming friends with characters and the impact of storylines land in a way that say becoming important or powerful in the world of GTA doesn't because of the incredibly confined, tightknit nature of the world of Bully. The smaller nature of the world also means that mission runs are always a minute away and removes the grindy, annoying parts of GTA.

v) To add to the part of mission runs always being closeby, the whole of the gameplay is single difficulty and extremely intuitive to play. The game for good doesn't try to have an extremely intricate world with thousands of mechanics and items like RDR2 but what it does, it ****ing nails. The primary brawling mechanism is a blast to use. I enjoy the brawler style boss fights a lot more than the crouch and shoot literally 200 mobs style of RDR/GTA for their big missions. The idea of improving your brawling repertoire by doing things which incentivize engagement with the non-essential content such as the side quest classroom classes and exploration is pure genius. For instance, attending gym class to learn wrestling takedowns, headbutts etc. (which teaches you one thing per class, only runs a couple of times a week during the afternoon session and is very very easy to miss) or learning uppercuts by finding radio transistor pieces found in random nooks and crannies of school and giving them to the homeless ex army vet who sleeps in the dumpster behind the bus.

vi) On that note, the mini-games which are subject classrooms are both fun to do and give you useful rewards. If you fail the class, you cannot repeat it indefinitely and just have to make sure you attend the class the same time next week. For instance, the English class is about making the most number of words with 5-6 random letters. If you win, you become more skilled in negotiating. Art makes you more popular with girls. Chemistry makes you good at making various very useful types of ammunition like stink bombs and itching powder. Gym makes you a better brawler. There is no wasted mini-game content and exploration is actually meaningful as opposed to just being for the completionist. The heart of this working was that class hours are balanced perfectly by being less than 2 or 3 minutes long but also non repeatable which was a bold move the likes of which I wish they did in their more popular games.

Overall, in my opinion, a true masterpiece which is very different from any other game I've ever played despite some superficial similarities to other rockstar games.

Thanks, ted talk etc.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Bully (or Canis Canem Edit for the PS4 version) was probably my favourite game on the limited games I played on a PS2, the use of which I shared with my cousins during my early teenage years. I've been replaying it after all this time and it stands up even better than I remembered it to be. It's undoubtedly better than GTA games imo and while RDR2 has some incredibly well developed characters and stories, it's the unrefined jumblework stuff present in games of the scope of RDR2 that Bully completely leaves out in favour of having a smaller game but no filler missions, simple but intuitive combat system and a small but highly reactive and tightknit world which makes Bully better for me. Yes the graphics are from 2006, no you shouldn't care.

For the uninitated, it's a game basically about AJ soprano being left to fend for himself through high school in the school that he had a panic attack about. It really is an underrated classic. In general, it has lots of genuinely hilarious, intentionally cringy as well as heartbreaking moments, the stories of the individual missions are far more varied than the GTA games, the characters while being enjoyably OTT at times really capture the range of complete ****s you can expect to see in your average boarding school experience and don’t hold back any punches whatsoever.

A few unique things that I particularly enjoyed about the game are

i) The soundtrack. I played it when I was once when I was around 12 for less than a month maybe, started it up after all this time and it has this incredible original instrumental sound track made specifically for the game which took me back and vibed me in straight away after 14 ****ing years. Goosebumps. It's so much more unique and memorable than the radio stations of GTA for sure and I'm actually a fan of those. It's even better than RDR 2 imo on account the Bully default non-mission soundtrack is essentially being the same song but mixed, slowed and speedened depending on where you are, the time of the day and your actions. This adds to the constant immersion of the player into the game while also reacting to the ebbs and flows of the game. This, along with several other intentional factors such as the very sparing use of technology and modern language and cultural references make it possible for the game to be set in a high school any time in the last 40 years which is a lot more immersive than listening to an IRl song from 2011.

ii) The game is both extremely non-pc as well as profoundly moral at the same time, there's a lot of really vicious, mean bullying on display along with some very nasty but sadly common slurs etc but the main character both stands up for himself and the vulnerable by long term social manipulation, building alliances with others and guile for the ends of good as opposed to trying to portray himself as a do-gooder or trying to use his moral authority to magically win. This is an accurate reflection of how positive change sadly actually happens in most of these situations and teenage cliques in a school was a genius prop to explore this. It works better as social commentary than the other GTA works precisely because it is not trying to be a grand satirical ****post on the 21st century like GTA or an expositon on the duality of morality like RDR2. You don't have that much moral agency at all. You're just a troublemaker insubordinate kid from a broken family expelled from several previous schools trying to survive and get through school while every single group in the school uses their knowledge of your insubordinate past to find their unique excuse to hate you. Its never getting made as strongly today though - I'd kill to play a Bully style game with the budget and scope that RDR2 or GTAV had but it just won't happen.

iii) The game shows you that bad people and good people are not a caricatures but exist in an extremely diverse range of people. The game starts off with a meathead jock called Russel who wants to cave your head in because you are new but then you find out he only wants to do that because your clearly dark triaded supposed best friend (who keeps popping adderral and dreaming about taking over the school despite not being popular or good at anything) was manipulating Russel to believe you were bitching about him behind his back. You try to move on and become cool by hanging out with the preppy rich kids who initially like you because you box well. However, you seen realize that they only see you as a circus show amusement and they'll never see you as one of them because you're permanently gasbied from ever being rich people cool by virtue of not adopting the social mannerisms only learned by being born rich. You defend the constantly bullied nerds but when you're trying to protect an angry young nerd making his class president speech, he's going borderline alt-right in his speech about 'apes', 'mindless bimbos' and the abolition of arts and sports so that STEM can be solely funded to create a nerd masterrace but he's getting eggs thown on him by said jocky apes the second he is on stage and has been wedgied every single day of his schooling life so can we really blame him. The **** do I now. On the other hand, he addresses people with Salutations! and calls RPGs 'mankinds greatest pursuit' ffs. What a crazy ****ing game.

iv) You spend most of your time within the game in a large boarding school campus which is 9000 times smaller than the world of GTA or RDR. This has its disadvantages but the advantage is that you soon get to know every nook and cranny, every secret, every new addition, every non-important dialogue character, most of the kids by look if not name and soon feel at home unlike any game that I've seen - bit like the homey feel of hogwarts without the insufferable goody two shoes characters or 'nobility' based higher moralities for 12 yos and with realistic mature writing. This makes becoming friends with characters and the impact of storylines land in a way that say becoming important or powerful in the world of GTA doesn't because of the incredibly confined, tightknit nature of the world of Bully. The smaller nature of the world also means that mission runs are always a minute away and removes the grindy, annoying parts of GTA.

v) To add to the part of mission runs always being close, the whole of the gameplay is single difficulty and extremely intuitive to play. The game for good doesn't try to have an extremely intricate world with thousands of mechanics and items like RDR2 but what it does, it ****ing nails. The primary brawling mechanism is a blast to use. I enjoy the brawler style bossfights a lot more than the crouch and shoot literally 200 mobs style of RDR/GTA for their big missions. The idea of improving your brawling repertoire by doing things which incentivize engagement with the non-essential content such as the side quest classroom classes and exploration is pure genius. For instance, attending gym class to learn wrestling takedowns, headbutts etc. (which teaches you one thing per class, only runs a couple of times a week during the afternoon session and is very very easy to miss) or learning uppercuts by finding radio transistor pieces found in random nooks and crannies of school and giving them to the homeless ex army vet who sleeps in the dumpster behind the bus.

vi) On that note, the mini-games which are subject classrooms are both fun to do and give you useful rewards. If you fail the class, you cannot repeat it indefinitely and just have to make sure you attend the class the same time next week. For instance, the English class is about making the most number of words with 5-6 random letters. If you win, you become more skilled in negotiating. Art makes you more popular with girls. Chemistry makes you good at making various very useful types of ammunition like stink bombs and itching powder. Gym makes you a better brawler. There is no wasted mini-game content and exploraiton is actually meaningful as opposed to just being for completionist. The heart of this working was that class hours are balanced perfectly by being less than 2 or 3 minutes long but also non repeatable which was a bold move the likes of which I wish they did in their more popular games.

Overall, in my opinion, a true masterpiece which is very different from any other game I've ever played despite some superficial similarities to other rockstar games.

Thanks, ted talk etc.
Ok

Shri

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah bully was an awesome game. Forgot about the mini games/class etc. Or maybe I just skipped them all like in real life? Dunno. Played it when it came out last and finished it pretty fast.