• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of Cricket, suggestion to the ICC

Do you agree?

• Yes with all of it.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Yes with most of it.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Yes with some of it.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • No, I don't agree with any of the ideas.

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You seem to be a true cricket fan, who wants cricket future to be bright. Even I myself want new teams to propser and upseat biggies. It's just getting a bit boring of watching 8 teams circle, playing aginst each other consistantly. I personally think ICC is not putting enough effort to spread cricket in the expant areas. They should provide regular funds and held regular tournaments b/w associates and affiliates. Tournaments like Inter-Continental Cup and ODIs right before World Cup are mere helpful. Minnows are still the same, even after playing for years!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
shortpitched713 said:
The CCA is full of ****. Its going to be very hard for China to get up to international standard if there isn't any grassroots interest in the sport.
China as a country showed interest in learning the sport and they are childern whose playing cricket in school who then will play when they grow up...it wont be that hard to get it up to the standerds if it as a nation is willing to learn which is unlike usa who really isn't they are into their own thing so it will be easier for china than usa...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
LA ICE-E said:
did you not get what i said? the games i used back from 1965 was to show that upsets do happen in cricket...and if teams who lost to Lincolnshires etc beat a test team i think you can call that a upset...now here a whole different point i made saying that the games were from 2000 is that now the associates are surely better then they were in 2000 etc because they are playing more...get it? 2 different points being made.....
Yes, upsets do happen, but the sheer rarity of them doesn't add anything to your case for promoting more sides, especially when most of them involve the 2 most recent elevations.

Not to mention the fact you've still not acknowledged that some of these so called strong sides weren't who you claim they were...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, upsets do happen, but the sheer rarity of them doesn't add anything to your case for promoting more sides, especially when most of them involve the 2 most recent elevations.

Not to mention the fact you've still not acknowledged that some of these so called strong sides weren't who you claim they were...
well to mention the fact that i do acknowledged that may be 1 or 2 teams were not stong sides but the rest were....well heres the thing those upsets were in odi and im not saying more sides should have odi status its fine the way its going....im saying in 20/20 upsets are more likely to happen.... so there should be more teams playing 20/20(not odi)before they reach odi....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not strong sides is an understatement, not to mention awarding those matches ODI status (pretty much none of them were - most of them were friendlies, in which case I reckon Somerset should be elevated to ODI status)

LA ICE-E

State Captain
marc71178 said:
Not strong sides is an understatement, not to mention awarding those matches ODI status (pretty much none of them were - most of them were friendlies, in which case I reckon Somerset should be elevated to ODI status)
whats they point of sayin not to metion if you are going to mention? who said it was odi status? but no not most were friendlys some of them were....

LA ICE-E

State Captain
one more thing...china is going to be a great part of cricket if things keep going the way it is...never underestimate the chinesse or any hard working country for that matter... they want to achive something they will...right now they really want to learn cricket....ICC is doing a good job getting more countries involved, but still has room for improvement IMO....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
one more thing...china is going to be a great part of cricket if things keep going the way it is...never underestimate the chinesse or any hard working country for that matter... they want to achive something they will...right now they really want to learn cricket....ICC is doing a good job getting more countries involved, but still has room for improvement IMO....
How about you ask the poster andyc about cricket in China?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Ok after all this discussions and arguments, i would like to know, out of all these ideas, which of them should be kept and which should be left out or modified in your opinions. Can you please copy and bold the ideas that should be left out and italicize any modifications you would recommend. With at least 32 of 38 voters somewhat agreeing there should be some recommendations. Thank you for helping.

quick link to main post-http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20788

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
Ok after all this discussions and arguments, i would like to know, out of all these ideas, which of them should be kept and which should be left out or modified in your opinions. Can you please copy and bold the ideas that should be left out and italicize any modifications you would recommend. With at least 32 of 38 voters somewhat agreeing there should be some recommendations. Thank you for helping.

quick link to main post-http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20788

Put a Twenty20 raking system into affect for it.

I think that idea merits bold and italics, although it's not quite clear how the "raking" system would work. Does this mean that you arm the players with rakes and re-enact the Battle of Hastings? Or do you get to choose 20 players who come around and rake up the leaves from your garden?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
About the only thing that IMO has merit is a Twenty20 classification coming in.

Mind you, I wouldn't schedule enough Twenty20 Cricket to make such a classification worthwhile.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
I think that idea merits bold and italics, although it's not quite clear how the "raking" system would work. Does this mean that you arm the players with rakes and re-enact the Battle of Hastings? Or do you get to choose 20 players who come around and rake up the leaves from your garden?
sorry its was a typo suppose to be ranking

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
You are justifying allowing these teams to play because its "comparable" to soccer. Brazil vs Serbia is a lot better then Australia vs Finland because there is an soccer infastructure in Serbia or for that matter most teams in soccer while the same can't be said for cricket. Outside of the big 10 and maybe Kenya (and even they are having problems) most of the minnows are made up of expats from cricket playing nation. Is there a grass root player comparable to Milosevic in the Finnish or any of the Associate (or Bangladeshi) cricket team? Another point is if theres an upset and they are given 20/20 status, what would that do? Kenya has ODI status and they are having problems filling up the staduim. Would a person go to watch a cricket game when there is a football game going on the same time in Spain or Italy? Countries like USA or China won't even bother since cricket would be too foreign for them (except in Hong Kong), thats one of the reason soccer took so long to become mainstream in USA, i doubt the same would be possible for cricket when there is a game comparable to it (Baseball) in America.

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cricket would have been more widespread if Imperial/International Cricket Conference would have spread the game in the 20-60's instead of keeping it exclusively to the Commonwealth.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
You are justifying allowing these teams to play because its "comparable" to soccer. Brazil vs Serbia is a lot better then Australia vs Finland because there is an soccer infastructure in Serbia or for that matter most teams in soccer while the same can't be said for cricket. Outside of the big 10 and maybe Kenya (and even they are having problems) most of the minnows are made up of expats from cricket playing nation. Is there a grass root player comparable to Milosevic in the Finnish or any of the Associate (or Bangladeshi) cricket team? Another point is if theres an upset and they are given 20/20 status, what would that do? Kenya has ODI status and they are having problems filling up the staduim. Would a person go to watch a cricket game when there is a football game going on the same time in Spain or Italy? Countries like USA or China won't even bother since cricket would be too foreign for them (except in Hong Kong), thats one of the reason soccer took so long to become mainstream in USA, i doubt the same would be possible for cricket when there is a game comparable to it (Baseball) in America.
Uh, no Only Canada and Netherlands are made up of mostly expats. Yeah there are many comparable home bread player in Bangladesh to MIlosevic(who the hell ever he is) in the Finish. And some others in the other associates countries... No im saying give every team twenty20 status so they could play twenty20...china is trying to adopt cricket though...so you should go check your facts before talking...cricket allso in usa is like baseball in australia...it exist in both so....people that do play it shouldn't be excluded from it...

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Uh, no Only Canada and Netherlands are made up of mostly expats. Yeah there are many comparable home bread player in Bangladesh to MIlosevic(who the hell ever he is) in the Finish. And some others in the other associates countries... No im saying give every team twenty20 status so they could play twenty20...china is trying to adopt cricket though...so you should go check your facts before talking...cricket allso in usa is like baseball in australia...it exist in both so....people that do play it shouldn't be excluded from it...
If you don't know who MIlosevic is, how do you know there are comparable players in Bangladeshi and Finnish team? I am aware of cricket in China thats why i mentioned it but just because China adopted cricket doesn't mean crap if there isn't an infrastructure for it. Also because cricket "exists" in USA doesn't mean Americans play it, the game is almost majority of the time played by expats with very few minute exceptions of local population who are curious about the game. If you can show me a league or even a school (not clubs) made up of local population where cricket is played regularly then i will change my opinion. Dodgeball exists in America but doesn't mean anyone will pay $50-$100 to watch US against Portugal even if they get Ben Stiller to play.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
If you don't know who MIlosevic is, how do you know there are comparable players in Bangladeshi and Finnish team? I am aware of cricket in China thats why i mentioned it but just because China adopted cricket doesn't mean crap if there isn't an infrastructure for it. Also because cricket "exists" in USA doesn't mean Americans play it, the game is almost majority of the time played by expats with very few minute exceptions of local population who are curious about the game. If you can show me a league or even a school (not clubs) made up of local population where cricket is played regularly then i will change my opinion. Dodgeball exists in America but doesn't mean anyone will pay $50-$100 to watch US against Portugal even if they get Ben Stiller to play.
Because I know there's lots of talent in bangladesh...uh there's a infrastructure being put in china though...did you check that? there's a infrastructure in ireland etc...and you know that for sure huh? because i know a lot of americans that do play cricket...so if a guy is born in america isn't he american? because i play it and im from here...dodgeball isn't really a big sport anywhere like cricket...but guess what its talking about developing cricket so its not going to come as easily...may not in the us or it would take a long while with effort but other countries have a better potential. china definitely does since their government is going at it...plus looking at the recent upsets...there's more chance of upsets in 20/20s so if countries see their teams doing good at important tournament then cricket gets more exposure like ireland got after their wc win...