• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Frank Woolley

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Frank Woolley

The records Frank Woolley set are from another time and cannot be judged by the standards of today, but despite that the way he played would have been entirely suited to the 21st century - in this feature Martin tells his story

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
"Gilligan over-bowled Woolley on the trip" - to be fair to Gilligan, this was mainly because he, Tate and Freeman were all injured during the 3rd Test leaving only Kilner and Woolley as bowlers. Woolley bowled more overs in that Test than the other four combined.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Gilligan over-bowled Woolley on the trip" - to be fair to Gilligan, this was mainly because he, Tate and Freeman were all injured during the 3rd Test leaving only Kilner and Woolley as bowlers. Woolley bowled more overs in that Test than the other four combined.
That's an interesting point - perhaps I should have dug into it a bit more - using the blunt instrument of the overall tour averages Woolley wasn't over worked at all - bowled 191 overs as against, for example, Maurice Tate who bowled more than 400 - I shall have to dig out Noble's book on the tour now - I shall blame you when Mrs Fertang moans about the washing up not getting done

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Noble on the 3rd Test: "Never have I known such a chapter of accidents. It then fell to Kilner and Woolley to take up the attack. and right whole-heartedly did they concentrate upon it. Woolley bowled 43 overs and got one wicket for 135 runs... It was remarkable that Woolley was able to bowl at all, in view of the trouble he had had with his knee. The effort must have been a very great strain on him, but he is a plucky fighter and deserved greater reward than came his way."