• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five Stumps Only Way to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seriously hasn't been a decent bowler since the era of the great DK Lillee, Fred Titmus and Bishan Bedi and it is sad to think that these three legends will probably only be remembered for penile implant and hair restoration ads. The common bond shared by these three immortals was ACCURACY. Now they talk about making making soccer nets bigger but this is just avoiding the real issue.

It is time for the ACB to get rid of this ridiculous three stump setup and make the game a five stump contest. Two stumps on the left, two more stumps on the right and one slightly larger stump in the centre. How many times have we see a bowler miss the stumps on the left and right? Heaps, but in keeping with the stubborn superior British attitude which has left Wimbledon without a roof for so long and the Elephant Man's ashes under the control of Koo Stark, the spectators have simply had a gutful and demand to see more frequent wickets.

Jeff Thomson suffered the same fate as most modern day bowlers. Thommo could bowl at four hundred miles per hour but he could also spray'em like Terry Hill attempting to read "Desiderata".

Please support me on this one and I will submit our petition to the ACB later this month.

Steds,

You're not thinking outside the pyramid. I suggest you stick to your correspondence with Alan Parsons, he's also lost in the 70s.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hey Im with you guys... I've started thinking outside the box a lot too recently.. But it will never happen.. The first test match was played with 3, and so will the last one...

Im tired of the batsmans domination one way or another

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't agree with that first comment and I can't think that 5 stumps will be anything but unfair on the new generation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't think that 5 stumps will be anything but unfair on the new generation.
Here we go again....

Another piece of progress (be it good or bad) being stopped by people's fascination with records and statistics. (Im quite aware that you dint say that directly, but Im also quite aware of what you meant).

If it makes cricket as a whole better, it doesnt matter if statistics suffer.

I dont agree that we should have 5 stumps. Theres nothing wrong with 3, so why change it?

But I dont believe distorted records for the new generation is a valid excuse.

telsor

U19 12th Man
This is a totally impractical and unworkable idea. I mean, just think abaout it..what would you CALL those stumps? Outside leg stump, inside leg stump, middle stump, inside off stump, outside off stump? I mean, how stupid is that!

Can you imagine telling a bowler to bowl an outside off stump line, but not to get outside outside off stump?

For this reason, the idea should be scrapped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Now THATS rediculous.

Scrapping an idea on the basis of what you what call certain objects is just not on!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS said:
If it makes cricket as a whole better, it doesnt matter if statistics suffer.

I dont agree that we should have 5 stumps. Theres nothing wrong with 3, so why change it?

But I dont believe distorted records for the new generation is a valid excuse.
I'm not actually referring to statistics, but rather to the consequential process of adaptation. The point of it is certainly to change the way the game is played and that's what I'm torn on.

I'm not entirely certain it will ultimately be for the better as far as the game is concerned. In my mind it just won't be the same sport.

There are much more acceptable ways to bring bowlers back into the equation. For one, I've always considered the bouncer limitation overdone.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There seriously hasn't been a decent bowler since the era of the great DK Lillee, Fred Titmus and Bishan Bedi
Yeah i guess warne, murali..and mcgrath are mediocre right?

Camel56

Banned
cbuts said:
hadlee... walsh ambrose akram waqar donald???
I think you'll find Ray Hadley was more of a batsmen than a bowler, although he was mediocre when it came to batting as well.

Scallywag

Banned
At the end of the game there is only six stumps for the players to grab as mementos, so maybe there should be 22 stumps so each player can get a stump. Unfortunately the 12th man misses out again but thats what hes there for to miss out.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pinkline Jones said:
I suggest you stick to your correspondence with Alan Parsons, he's also lost in the 70s.
Hahahaha... That actually wasn't bad.

Some people on this forum are in dire need of a troll-o-meter though.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Camel56 said:
I think you'll find Ray Hadley was more of a batsmen than a bowler, although he was mediocre when it came to batting as well.
wow are u really that dumb lol

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
At the end of the game there is only six stumps for the players to grab as mementos, so maybe there should be 22 stumps so each player can get a stump. Unfortunately the 12th man misses out again but thats what hes there for to miss out.

:D :D :D :D

telsor

U19 12th Man
Prince EWS said:
Now THATS rediculous.

Scrapping an idea on the basis of what you what call certain objects is just not on!
I thought it was in keeping with the spirit of the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.