• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Person to 50 Centuries

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As all of you know Sachin Tendulkar recently became the first man to score 40 centuries but who do you think will be the first to score 50 centuries and when will it be achieved. Or indeed will it ever be achieved? At the moment there are two obvious candidates.

Sachin Tendulkar -has to be the leading contender but at 35 and with 9 more to go I wouldn’t rate his chances much better than 50/50.

Ricky Ponting – Would rate his chances of getting reaching 50 about the same as Sachin but I have no idea how long he is going to play for.

I think there are two other players with a slight outside chance: Kevin Pietersen and Graham Smith. I am sure both will at least get to 30 but 50 would be a very big ask, would have to play well into their late 30’s maintaining a very high standard.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin and Ponting both can and will IMO.

People keep thinking Sachin's going to stop, but he hasn't shown any real sign of that in the last 2 years. It was said he'd never catch Lara, it was said he'd possible struggle to get to 40.

A lot depends on how much test cricket India play in the next 2-3 years as well. They had a huge 2008 (though Sachin missed a few tests vs. SA).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sachin and Ponting both can and will IMO.

People keep thinking Sachin's going to stop, but he hasn't shown any real sign of that in the last 2 years. It was said he'd never catch Lara, it was said he'd possible struggle to get to 40.

A lot depends on how much test cricket India play in the next 2-3 years as well. They had a huge 2008 (though Sachin missed a few tests vs. SA).
Yea, that's my reason for Sachin not making it. If you look at their FTP over the next two years:

2009:
India in NZ (3 Tests)
Sri Lanka in India (3 Tests)
India in Bangladesh (2 Tests)

2010:
South Africa in India (3 Tests)
New Zealand in India (3 Tests)
India in South Africa (3 Tests)

That's only 17 Tests over the next two years, and 9 centuries in 17 Tests is a tough ask. I don't think he'll stay longer than two years to be honest as he might be looking to end with the world cup in the subcontinent in the beginning of 2011.

If he stays around until the end of 2011, even after the World Cup, there is a chance:

2011:
India in West Indies (4 Tests)
India in England (4 Tests)
West Indies in India (3 tests)
India in Australia (4 Tests) (end of 2011, going into 2012)

pup11

International Coach
SRT would get there much before Ponting would , Ponting still has 13 more tons to go, whereas Tendulkar has only 9 more to go to reach that 50 mark, but i am pretty sure both the players would reach that mark before they retire.

susudear

Banned
Tendulkar

Would such a feat be achieveable if he gave up on ODI cricket?
Tendulkar wouldn't give up ODIs till 2011 WC. BCCI might use him in the ODIs till then sparsely one would think, playing him in the important tournaments and matches.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think, in the end, my guess would be Ponting is going to retire with 50-53 centuries and Tendulkar probably around 45-47.

inbox24

International Debutant
I doubt Ponting will get to 50, his career is only going to go downhill from here with more pressure on his captaincy and batting. He's probably end with 45 maximum only if he has a few more stunning years.

Dissector

International Debutant
At the begining of the decade it looked likely that Sachin would achieve two extraordinary records: the first to get 50 test hundreds and the first to get 100 international hundreds (including ODI's). Unfortunately with injury problems and his relative decline in recent years the targets are looking elusive. If he remains injury free and continues till 2011 it will remain touch and go; otherwise he will land short. Ponting will also be touch and go depending on whether he can regain his best form.

Dissector

International Debutant
You know what would be a perfect end to Sachin's career. Bringing up his 50th ODI hundred and helping India win the WC final at Wankhede. Then after retiring from ODI's and continuing with tests he brings up his 50th test hundred in his final test in Australia helping India win their first series there.:notworthy

haroon510

International 12th Man
if Sachin miss it... we won't see anyone making 50 centuries anytime soon.. maybe in 20 or soo years considering that there will be alot of cricket played in future..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sachin and Ponting will both make it to 50 test centuries.

Of the younger lot, only Pietersen has a shot at it, and I don't think he'll last long enough to make it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sachin and Ponting will both make it to 50 test centuries.

Of the younger lot, only Pietersen has a shot at it, and I don't think he'll last long enough to make it.
Smith is younger and has more centuries.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mahela Jayawardane may get 40, because he has about 5-6 years of cricket left in him. He might end as 3rd behind Sachin and Ponting