• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finding out the best decade for test cricket: The tournament thread! 12 ATG XIs duke it out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All the teams can be made on the latest cricket captain game, as they added a feature to make up a test series between any players in history. I've downloaded it but I dunno it's just gonna use raw averages to decide the results so the Bradman teams will win as he's such an outlier
I remember the last time this was tried it did not work out that way. So we can try again.

Slifer

International Captain
Here's a question or two. Under what conditions are we assuming that these teams are playing? That's important because if you take any of the teams post 1990 back in time, most of their batsmen would get killed. Likewise, bowlers from the past would be subjected to stricter over rates, smaller boundaries, generally flatter wickets etc.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Here's a question or two. Under what conditions are we assuming that these teams are playing? That's important because if you take any of the teams post 1990 back in time, most of their batsmen would get killed. Likewise, bowlers from the past would be subjected to stricter over rates, smaller boundaries, generally flatter wickets etc.
Do you mean stricter over rates when they routinely put up over 100 overs a day?

That's interesting actually. With bowlers getting through so many more overs in a day, maybe there is something to the argument they weren't as lethal.

Gob

International Coach
All the teams can be made on the latest cricket captain game, as they added a feature to make up a test series between any players in history. I've downloaded it but I dunno it's just gonna use raw averages to decide the results so the Bradman teams will win as he's such an outlier
I tried it a while back and I had to chose a team as mine to run the sim. I wasn't using the paid version so I had to sim small parts instead of the whole thing and I ended up winning all the games I was captioning so there is an advantage. Try the paid version and you can run sims as a whole without picking teams then its worth it.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i was thinking just a fair and balanced pitch, a bit in it for the seamers on day 1, flattening out on days 2 and 3 and benefiting batsmen, and then cracks opening up on days 4 and 5 so the spinners can do their work

Slifer

International Captain
Well I meant specifically the 80s tbh, that decade was notorious for slow overates. Then there are the different bouncer rules, etc

Slifer

International Captain
i was thinking just a fair and balanced pitch, a bit in it for the seamers on day 1, flattening out on days 2 and 3 and benefiting batsmen, and then cracks opening up on days 4 and 5 so the spinners can do their work
Btw excellent job coming up with this thread !!!

sunilz

International Regular
Try running simulation game from knockout games.
For eg. If asked to choose between 90s and 00s I am undecided. So we should sim the game

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
When it comes to playing conditions etc I'm not worrying too much. It shouldn't be too hard. We manage to pick the best teams in draft voting, so this is much the same.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Been following the votes and the thread. Awesome stuff.

Won't the sim have an issue if 2 teams have the same player?

I have used the old ITC sim in the past and Bradman's average didn't do him much service when he came up against quality bowlers. And I couldn't have a match where the same player was in 2 sides in that Sim.

I haven't tried this on ICC though so maybe it's allowed.

mr_mister

Won't the sim have an issue if 2 teams have the same player?

True, I hadn't thought of that

mr_mister

40s and 00s advance to the quarters

Round 1, Heat 2:

1900s/1910s
1960s
1930s

1900s/1910s:

Jack Hobbs
Victor Trumper
Clem Hill
Aubrey Faulkner 5
Stanley Jackson *
Monty Noble 6
Frank Foster 2
Dick Lilley +
Tibby Cotter 3
Sydney Barnes 1
Colin Blythe 4

1960s:

Bob Simpson * 6
Bill Lawry
Ken Barrington
Graeme Pollock
Rohan Kanhai
Gary Sobers 5
Denis Lindsay +
Allan Davidson 2
Peter Pollock 3
Fred Trueman 1
Lance Gibbs 4

1930s:

Len Hutton
Bruce Mitchell
Don Bradman *
George Headley
Wally Hammond 5
Stan McCabe 6
Les Ames +
Harold Larwood 1
Hedley Verity 4
Bill O'Reilly 3
Manny Martindale 2

mr_mister

the 1900s side has as many ATGs as the 1960s side but unfortunately too many passengers(or at least players who arent ATVG)

so 60s and 30s it is