• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final TWO bowlers for the 1877-1940 Test XI

Choose TWO final bowlers for the 1877-1940 Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neville cardus

International Debutant
More than disagreement he must have been shocked that it came from someone who used Neville Cardus as his 'pseudonym'.:)
Ah, I see.

I must say that that fairly disappoints me. Archie and I haven't conflicted on anything before, and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't really keen on engaging in a constructive argument with someone of his extensive cricketing knowledge - so Com'mon, Archie, just disagree with me, for the sheer debate-sparking hell of it!

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yes and so was WG Grace. Just imagine a test batting average barely above 32 and even in first class cricket a batting average below 40. Champion indeed . Hah. Navjot Siddhu is better. :sleep:
Being fast, ***y, and having one amazing series isn't everything. If that was the case Simon Jones should be amongst the greats.

archie mac

International Coach
I love old George, but lets be honest some of his Test wickets against SA are a little 'cheap'. After all at the time the matches were not even considered first class.

Just about everyone who watched Lol said he was the greatest fast bowler (and fastest) if you discount Jonah Jones who said he could not dint a pound of butter on a hot day

The list of admirers included 'Fergie' who watched a lot of Test cricket in his time.

Larwood was only hit for six on two occasions in his entire career. I also feel that his early Test captains bowled him the wrong way, he would often take early wickets but they would continue to bowl him into the ground.

To sum up I think both Lohman and Larwood two of the all time greats:)

JBH001

International Regular
Well, it seems Faulker is looking like he will make the cut - at least this side will have a powerful batting lineup. In any case, I am going to go for my first instincts and vote for O'Reilly and Larwood.

This team needs an out and out quick bowler, not another medium pacer like Lohmann - much as I respect the great man.

Also, I have to say, Neville Cardus really does wear a pair of romantic cricket glasses. :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I love old George, but lets be honest some of his Test wickets against SA are a little 'cheap'. After all at the time the matches were not even considered first class.

Just about everyone who watched Lol said he was the greatest fast bowler (and fastest) if you discount Jonah Jones who said he could not dint a pound of butter on a hot day

The list of admirers included 'Fergie' who watched a lot of Test cricket in his time.

Larwood was only hit for six on two occasions in his entire career. I also feel that his early Test captains bowled him the wrong way, he would often take early wickets but they would continue to bowl him into the ground.

I think Bradman influences the publics opinion of Orielly quite a bit. You might well be right about Lohmann. No one says anything about him except that he was fantastic.

BTW, glad to hear some sense about Larwood.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I love old George
As do I. I am very excited about the recent surfacing of a biography on him by Keith Booth.

but lets be honest some of his Test wickets against SA are a little 'cheap'. After all at the time the matches were not even considered first class.
Agreed, but it would be wrong to propose that his greatness was based solely on the exaggerated Test figures that he obtained from his matches against the Springboks. Reading Ralph Barker's excellent piece on him, it is obvious that Lohmann had cause to be revered by the Aussies, too - and, indeed, he was.

Larwood was only hit for six on two occasions in his entire career.
I'd never heard that one before! Could you cite a source for it (without, of course, slashing open the packaging in which you are presently keeping all of your books)?

I also feel that his early Test captains bowled him the wrong way, he would often take early wickets but they would continue to bowl him into the ground.
Barker believes that they bowled him to his death.

It's very hard to argue with someone as diplomatic and, well, so very right as you, Archie. Cheers, mate

archie mac

International Coach
As do I. I am very excited about the recent surfacing of a biography on him by Keith Booth.
That should be good, I have one by Ric Sissons which was very interesting if very short (50 pages)

Agreed, but it would be wrong to propose that his greatness was based solely on the exaggerated Test figures that he obtained from his matches against the Springboks. Reading Ralph Barker's excellent piece on him, it is obvious that Lohmann had cause to be revered by the Aussies, too - and, indeed, he was.
Yes, a great bowler, the best bowler in the world for a few years, until he picked up TB. Also one of the greatest slippers ever

I'd never heard that one before! Could you cite a source for it (without, of course, slashing open the packaging in which you are presently keeping all of your books)?
I have read it a few times, maybe Bodyline Autopsy by Frith? My books are still in boxes, until I have book shelves built

Barker believes that they bowled him to his death.
A great writer, glad he agrees with me:laugh:

It's very hard to argue with someone as diplomatic and, well, so very right as you, Archie. Cheers, mate
Thanks mate:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
That should be good, I have one by Ric Sissons which was very interesting if very short (50 pages)
Can't say that I've ever heard of that one.

Yes, a great bowler, the best bowler in the world for a few years, until he picked up TB.
Hmm ... I didn't know that it was tuberculosis. When/where did he contract it?

Also one of the greatest slippers ever
Having read a number of contemporary accounts which make reference to Lohmann's work as a slipper, I can't help but notice that his position was usually referred to as "short-slip". Would this mean that he stood closer to the bat than most slip fielders do/did - sort of like Botham?

I have read it a few times, maybe Bodyline Autopsy by Frith?
I read it again quite recently, so I don't think so.

My books are still in boxes, until I have book shelves built
Excuse the informal modern vernacular, but that must really suck, dude.

A great writer, glad he agrees with me:laugh:

Thanks mate:)
Cheers.

archie mac

International Coach
Can't say that I've ever heard of that one.
It was a ltd edition, I will be interested to read the Booth offering as Sissons did not seem to have a lot of new information about the great man

Hmm ... I didn't know that it was tuberculosis. When/where did he contract it?
In Sth Afr I think?

Having read a number of contemporary accounts which make reference to Lohmann's work as a slipper, I can't help but notice that his position was usually referred to as "short-slip". Would this mean that he stood closer to the bat than most slip fielders do/did - sort of like Botham?
I think that might just be contemproarie talk, I have a book with all of that stuff in it:-O

I read it again quite recently, so I don't think so.
It will come to me:ph34r:

neville cardus

International Debutant
It was a ltd edition, I will be interested to read the Booth offering as Sissons did not seem to have a lot of new information about the great man
Digressing, I might say that his collaborative effort on ''Cricket and Empire'' sounds like a superb effort, though.

In Sth Afr I think?
I know that he was sent to South Africa for rehabilitation, following a physical breakdown, and soon had a relapse - of what, though, I do not know.

I think that might just be contemproarie talk, I have a book with all of that stuff in it:-O
Lucky you.

It will come to me:ph34r:
Cheers.

archie mac

International Coach
Digressing, I might say that his collaborative effort on ''Cricket and Empire'' sounds like a superb effort, though..
Read that one not too bad, his best is 'The Players'

I know that he was sent to South Africa for rehabilitation, following a physical breakdown, and soon had a relapse - of what, though, I do not know..
TB, I am pretty sure, from memory he picked it up on an early tour of SA, but yes he was sent there to recover